The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smilie :)
Thank you! That really helped :smile:
Quick question - in general would you include 3 studies for A01 and 4 A02s? Because my teachers rubbish and i just want to check im using the correct about of points :smile:

Not sure about the amount of studies, depends more on the length, i have that are like 3 sentences but some that are half a page

You need at least 3 ao2 studies to make sure you get an 'effective' evaluation- you cant JUST talk about reductionism/culture/gender/nature nurture all the time.

remember ao1 studies are those that are used to illustrate / support your theory or explanation
and ao2 studies are those that offer alternative explanations or contradict you theory

and with ao1 studies, If you evaluate their methodology you can get ao2 marks juts from that :smile:

so about 3 ao2 and 4 ao2 sounds about right, but it really depends on the topic-
in some topics, ao1 comes from explaining studies
and ao2 only comes from evaluating these studies

however in other topics ao1 comes from explaining theories, and ao2 just comes from studies and IDA

hope SOME of that helps, and sorry for the spelling / if its a bit muddled :biggrin:
Original post by antipesto93
Ok, Sleep people:
If you are asked a 25 mark on the Infradian rhythm - What would you talk about? - this is all i know:

Describe the menstrual cycle (ao1) - endogenous
Descrive the role of pheromones(ao1) - exogenous
Study by McClintock(ao2) - study
Study by Russel - study

what else ?
the above would only take up one page for me:frown:

I'd talk about circaannual rhythms. :smile:

Google Zucker and squirrels and that should help you.
I have a link to a model answer so if you need it just quote me. :smile:
Hmmm what would you do for an essay plan on the restoration theory of sleep? im getting slightly confused!

Personally, I'd go down this route, using Horne and Oswald as the spine of the essay..

AO1 - Oswald's 1980 theory, followed by Horne's 1988

AO1 - The differences between the two

AO2 - :smile: - Peter Tripps experience of sleep deprivation

AO2 - :smile: - Shapiro (1981) Marathon racers sleeping longer after racing

AO2 - :frown: - Randy Gardner's experience of sleep deprivation

AO2 - :frown: - Methodology, case studies not very reliable

AO2 - :frown: - Alternative view, briefly outline evolutionary studies

But seriously, I'm no A* student, far far from it! We've had an awful awful awful teacher all year, and for the last third had no teacher so it's pretty much all self taught... take this plan with a pinch of salt! Hope it helps though? aha :smile:
For me, I use around 3 studies for A02. I don't tend to use any specifically for A01 as I try and write a bit about what the question asks (define terms, explain any models etc) plus, my teacher says that when you write your studies for the A02, if you outline what the study was and what it involved that can count for A01 too, as long as it is reasonable length etc!

My rough essay plan is to define terms/models etc; introduce A03 breifly (like make a point or two), then do studies and evaluate(A02), then sumarise using A03 and conclusive statement if applicible.
Reply 224
Not sure about the amount of studies, depends more on the length, i have that are like 3 sentences but some that are half a page

You need at least 3 ao2 studies to make sure you get an 'effective' evaluation- you cant JUST talk about reductionism/culture/gender/nature nurture all the time.

remember ao1 studies are those that are used to illustrate / support your theory or explanation
and ao2 studies are those that offer alternative explanations or contradict you theory

and with ao1 studies, If you evaluate their methodology you can get ao2 marks juts from that :smile:

so about 3 ao2 and 4 ao2 sounds about right, but it really depends on the topic-
in some topics, ao1 comes from explaining studies
and ao2 only comes from evaluating these studies

however in other topics ao1 comes from explaining theories, and ao2 just comes from studies and IDA

hope SOME of that helps, and sorry for the spelling / if its a bit muddled :biggrin:

Lol no dw nothing was muddled! But yeah thanks a million that really helped! Good luck with revision and exams :smile:
Reply 225
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
One big one.Jealousy occurs because of the possibility of infidelity; males because of there's an uncertainty of them being the father of a child, and females because a cheating males directs resources away from them.

If the evolutionary explanation of aggression comes up I'm using jealousy and rape.

Oh I get it thanks! So we can use different examples, I think in one of my books there's homicide or something. My teachers taught us like a general Darwinian theory accounting for it. Would either that or homicide suffice in a 'one or more evo explanations' question?

Does anyone have a general plan for 'evaluate in terms of research studies' or 'discuss research into' questions for sleep, aggro or cognition and development?

ME ME ME! The model answer? aha, sorry to butt in..
Original post by liamcol123
Personally, I'd go down this route, using Horne and Oswald as the spine of the essay..

*snip*

But seriously, I'm no A* student, far far from it! We've had an awful awful awful teacher all year, and for the last third had no teacher so it's pretty much all self taught... take this plan with a pinch of salt! Hope it helps though? aha :smile:

Thats very similar to what i would do, Oswald and horne definantly have to make up the structure of the essay, and you need to constantly say how each study supports or does not support who's theory :biggrin:

we are so lucky we had a great teacher :biggrin:

model answer would help :biggrin: never even heard of circaanual
Reply 228

AO1 - Oswald's 1980 theory, followed by Horne's 1988

AO1 - The differences between the two

AO2 - :smile: - Peter Tripps experience of sleep deprivation

AO2 - :smile: - Shapiro (1981) Marathon racers sleeping longer after racing

AO2 - :frown: - Randy Gardner's experience of sleep deprivation

AO2 - :frown: - Methodology, case studies not very reliable

AO2 - :frown: - Alternative view, briefly outline evolutionary studies

Lol no seriously i completely understand, it the same with me! Ive had a rubbish teacher all year so im trying to self teach myself! But thanks for the help :smile: and good luck with all the revision and exams!
Original post by RD93
Oh I get it thanks! So we can use different examples, I think in one of my books there's homicide or something. My teachers taught us like a general Darwinian theory accounting for it. Would either that or homicide suffice in a 'one or more evo explanations' question?

Does anyone have a general plan for 'evaluate in terms of research studies' or 'discuss research into' questions for sleep, aggro or cognition and development?

If you get one of these 'discuss research into' questions, it is rarely into a topic that is made up of theories, more likely to say that on a 'Lifespan changes in sleep' question, so you would just use studies for a01 but then evaluate them and their methodology for ao2
Reply 230
Original post by Stephhcharlene
For me, I use around 3 studies for A02. I don't tend to use any specifically for A01 as I try and write a bit about what the question asks (define terms, explain any models etc) plus, my teacher says that when you write your studies for the A02, if you outline what the study was and what it involved that can count for A01 too, as long as it is reasonable length etc!

My rough essay plan is to define terms/models etc; introduce A03 breifly (like make a point or two), then do studies and evaluate(A02), then sumarise using A03 and conclusive statement if applicible.

oh i see! thank you :smile:
Reply 231
If you get one of these 'discuss research into' questions, it is rarely into a topic that is made up of theories, more likely to say that on a 'Lifespan changes in sleep' question, so you would just use studies for a01 but then evaluate them and their methodology for ao2

awesome awesome AWESOME, you sir are a legend, thank you very much :smile:
Reply 232

Sorry to but in.. but any chance you could link me too? :biggrin: would be very helpful!

Sorry to but in.. but any chance you could link me too? :biggrin: would be very helpful!

Thats very similar to what i would do, Oswald and horne definantly have to make up the structure of the essay, and you need to constantly say how each study supports or does not support who's theory :biggrin:

Circannual, sorry my bad. :biggrin:

http://www.psychexchange.co.uk/resource/4110/
http://www.psychexchange.co.uk/resource/5458/

This isn't the answer I was looking at earlier (I'll try and find it though)
but they are quite useful. You have to sign up for the website but it only takes two seconds. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

This is an essay on infradian rhythms which has some useful research in. It's a B grade btw. :smile:

^ i dont see it

http://www.psychexchange.co.uk/resource/2584/
(edited 12 years ago)
^ i dont see it
This is an essay on infradian rhythms which has some useful research in. It's a B grade btw. :smile:

http://www.psychexchange.co.uk/resource/2584/

Wow, that website's amazing! Thank you so much :smile:

yeah you can get past papers that are not on the aqa website (jan 2011) on there aswell :biggrin:

Yeah, my psychology teacher made my entire class register. :lol:
No problem!
Hmmm what would you do for an essay plan on the restoration theory of sleep? im getting slightly confused!

Oswald-
Restoration theory suggests that the function of sleep is to restore energy, replenish vital neurotransmitters and replace damaged cells with new ones.

REM is important for brain development- he found this was particular for people who were recovering from brain damage such as drug overdoes, spent longer in REM sleep.

NREM is important for body- surge in growth hormones During SWS- stage 4.

Horne-

We sleep to restore the brain- therefore REM and SWS is the only important stages of sleep.

All other stages are optional and can be replaced by relaxed wakefulness.

Research-

Shapiro's study shows the affect of physical exercise and sleep-

Shapiro found that marathon runners spend longer time sleeping after a long marathon.

However, Horne and Minard found that exhausting participants just fall asleep quicker rather than longer.

Sleep deprivation studies-

Oswald argues that sleep deprivation can cause behavioural and brain changes.
Peter Tripp- did not sleep for 201 hrs. He suffered from psychological damage during and after TSD. This affected his marital life.

However the case of peter Tripp was a single case study and there were also some ethical considerations which were not considered.

Randy Gardner sleep deprived for 264 hrs. Also suffered from psychological damage but only during the TSD. He then slept afterwards, replacing nearly 15% of lost sleep. He fully recovered.

Animal sleep deprivation-

Rechtschaffen studied sleep deprived rats by placing then on a turn table and if they did not move they fell into the water and consequently drowned. After 31 days all experimenter rats died, and control rats which were allowed to sleep were perfectly fine.

However this study may not be generalisable as humans and rats have different internal biology. Therefore sleep may not serve the same purpose.
Also, there is an aspect of stress which may have been the result of the death, rather than TSD.

Jouvets cats!

However:

Jouvets cats showed that by depriving cats of REM they all died. However The war
wounded veteran who had no REM survived and lead a happy life as a lawyer.

Paralysed people have very low levels of physical activity, meaning they should not sleep as much in fact not at all. But they still do.

A03/conclusion

Biological reductionism- ignores the fact that amount of time spent in sleep differs across different species.
?
acknowledges the complexity of the nature of sleep- REM and NREM. Also looks at the biological parts.

Hope this helps!!!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending