Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not into a full swing of revision yet. Got most of sleep to do still, plus relationships and eating disorders.

Anyone else like me?

ReputationRep:
    Do we have a thread for unit 4 yet?

I'd say that's the paper I'm most worried about because of the dreaded media topic...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what came up in January 2011 for Unit 3? Or are we prohibited from knowing?

I'm doing:
    Bio rhythms
    Eating Behaviour
    Aggression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolly21)
    Does anyone know what came up in January 2011 for Unit 3? Or are we prohibited from knowing?

I'm doing:
    Bio rhythms
    Eating Behaviour
    Aggression
    thats been asked like 5 times on this thread, Look back a few pages and you should find it

the jam 2011 paper is available at PSYCHEXCHANGE (google it ) and in their websearch search for psya3 june 2011 (or something like that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antipesto93)
    thats been asked like 5 times on this thread, Look back a few pages and you should find it

the jam 2011 paper is available at PSYCHEXCHANGE (google it ) and in their websearch search for psya3 june 2011 (or something like that)

Ooops! Sorry
    Its such a long thread that I didn't really bother to look through every single page and comment. But thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Do we have a thread for unit 4 yet?

I'd say that's the paper I'm most worried about because of the dreaded media topic...
    Oh god, I'm doing media aswell, absoloutley awful, there's this thread?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ighlight=psya4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    Oh god, I'm doing media aswell, absoloutley awful, there's this thread?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ighlight=psya4
    I know, I just find it boring!

Cheers m'dear!

ReputationRep:
    hello does any1 do schizophrenia. need good notes.
    is every 1 confident with research methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HUS786)
    hello does any1 do schizophrenia. need good notes.
    is every 1 confident with research methods.
    I'm pretty certain this isn't the thread for Unit 4 Psychology, its for Unit 3

ReputationRep:
    So for the insomnia bit can we be asked questions about both primary and secondary insomnia AND the factors affecting it (apnoea/personality)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RD93)
    So for the insomnia bit can we be asked questions about both primary and secondary insomnia AND the factors affecting it (apnoea/personality)?
    Lol, I KEPT asking my teacher this question, and finally she YES its possible.
    BUT.

If you are asked to outline and evaluate primary and secondary insomnia (25 mark)
    you CAN still talk about factors, because its technically ao1, however i would only do 1 or 2 paragraphs on it.

obviously, if there is a 25 (or more likely, 10 mark ) on Factors affecting, you have no choice but to talk about aponea/personality

some of the worse 25 marks that could come up for me:
    Outline and evaluate factors effecting insomnia
    outline and evaluate the ultradian rhythm
    outline and evaulate the infradian rhythm

thats it really for sleep lol

btw for next year they re-worded the specification, because in the spec it says
    Explanations for insomnia, including primary and secondary insomnia and
    factors influencing insomnia, for example, apnoea, personality
    the word AND could mean two different things in this context

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I KEPT asking my teacher this question, and YES its possible.
    BUT.

If you are asked to outline and evaluate primary and secondary insomnia (25 mark)
    you CAN still talk about factors, because its technically ao1, however i would only do 1 or 2 paragraphs on it.

obviously, if there is a 25 (or more likely, 10 mark ) on Factors affecting, you have no choice but to talk about aponea/personality

some of the worse 25 marks that could come up for me:
    Outline and evaluate factors effecting insomnia
    outline and evaluate the ultradian rhythm
    outline and evaulate the infradian rhythm

thats it really for sleep lol
    Thanks again. I'm finally finishing revision notes for all my subjects tonight, gosh it's taken ages. After the insomnia bit I only have restoration/evo theory and sleep walking/narcolepsy to do and they won't take long. But yeah apnoea my teacher went through at length but personality is new to me. I don't know where to find any info on it any suggestions, there's only one bit in dog book...

ReputationRep:
    i am in a similar situation, even though i had to do a presentation infront of the class i was still confused, here is a bit from my notes, MIGHT help, or might not if most of it is from the dog book

• Personality
    • Personality is one factor that dictates why not everyone gets insomnia
    • Vgontzas –demonstrated there is a link between insomnia and increase in stress hormones such as ACTH, This says, that for insomniacs, there is a disorder of hyperarousan in the CNS caused by overactivation of the HPA, leading to stress and aniety.
    • this means therapy should be based on decreasing psychological and emotional arousal, not just sleep (Assuming high stress hormones and CNS activity causes insomnia) < but that could be a result not cause
    • bonnect and arand induced insomnia and found insomnia increased in line with poor sleep and fatigue, THIS supports the concept of anxious personalities being more susceptible to insomnia.
    • Pelissolo – hypothesised serotonin activity related to sleep regulation, She showed insomniacs had more worry and harm avoidance that controls. And harm avoidance may be a marker for insomnia
    • Supported by ivers- study showed links between insomnia aand depression/anxirty,

you can also talk about this
    1. Bedtime Behaviour – being energetic, rough play, TV, causes high levels of brain activity
    2. Environmental Factors – stimuli such as right, noise temperature affect the brains natural calming down of neural activity, Same with high altitudes
    3. Stress – Life events keep the sympathetic AND active, and chronic stressors can lead to the exhaustion stage(selye)
    4. Sleep Hygiene – coffee or watching TV, stimulate the brain
    5. Illness – medication contributes to insomnia due to the stimulatinf effect or effect on brain activity

(sorry for the spelling in my notes)

ReputationRep:
    i am in a similar situation, even though i had to do a presentation infront of the class i was still confused, here is a bit from my notes, MIGHT help, or might not if most of it is from the dog book

you can also talk about this

(sorry for the spelling in my notes)
    Oh my that's crazy you just gave me all that. I found some similar stuff in my book...sounds horribly cliche and obvious but for that bit i reckon we just have to use our heads really. Thanks for the help man, if you're ever struggling on aggression or cognition and development gimme a shout!

ReputationRep:
    Relationships people: If 25marker came up on human reproductive behaviour section, how could it be worded? I mean, obviously they will put an emphasis on certain part of it. Their already asked for evolutionary approach to explain parental investment in humans in Jan 2010, so wonder what else they could take out of this section...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worthyg)
    Relationships people: If 25marker came up on human reproductive behaviour section, how could it be worded? I mean, obviously they will put an emphasis on certain part of it. Their already asked for evolutionary approach to explain parental investment in humans in Jan 2010, so wonder what else they could take out of this section...
    Perhaps they could ask to 'Discuss the relationship between sexual selecton and human reproductive behaviour.' That is a practice question that one of my revision guides gives

Here is a sample essay on that, its not mine, someone posted it to me, not sure how good it is though, i haven't read through it properly yet.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc sr essay.doc (29.0 KB, 592 views)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have notes on relationships?

There are a few topics on mine that i don't think the A02/3 is strong enough, thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseanne16)
    Perhaps they could ask to 'Discuss the relationship between sexual selecton and human reproductive behaviour.' That is a practice question that one of my revision guides gives

Here is a sample essay on that, its not mine, someone posted it to me, not sure how good it is though, i haven't read through it properly yet.

Hope this helps!
    Hey thanks for using my essay lol, appreciate it.

It was given 20/25, but can easily be pushed up to 22-23 by simply adding on the alternate explanation.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm making notes on insomnia as we speak. So the spec says explanations for insomnia including primary and secondary insomnia. But primary insomnia has no underlying cause, so where's the AO1 for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRockMaster)
    Hey thanks for using my essay lol, appreciate it.

It was given 20/25, but can easily be pushed up to 22-23 by simply adding on the alternate explanation.
    Umm i'm sorry i didn't think it would be a problem.

Tbh i actually thought you gave it to me from one of the essays posted in the section under 'psychology essays' forum that are for everyone to use and help each other with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.