Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rashida)
    yh i really need some too. URGENT
    how much have you revised so far? my teacher is so rubbish, i need major help :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else finding this exam a fair bit harder than unit 4?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sk1234;32058588]how much have you revised so far? my teacher is so rubbish, i need major help :mad:[/QUO

i havent covered anything yet. im such a loser when my exam is just few days. my teacher doesnt turn up to lessons so im teaching myself the whole of unit 3 and 4. LOL

ReputationRep:
    ahh are you doing unit 3 aswell? which topics are you doing? im doing eating disorders, relationships and aggression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    Is anyone else finding this exam a fair bit harder than unit 4?
    I am, but then my teacher said they reckon it is too. The topics we chose for Unit four linked into unit two a bit so the basics and some studies were there already!

Right just wrote up essay on social influences but I think I wrote a bit too much about SCLT than I should have... (If at all lol!) but its got all the studies in so =/
    Just got these left to write before Monday:
    -Evolutionary expl. gender roles
    -Biosocial expl. gender development
    -Gender Dysphoria and Psychological Androgyny (I think I have this written somewhere but cannot remember it much so will write again)

I thought I had a lot more than that left to do but then I realised one I had done and am fairly ok so just need to recap it, another one was a 10mark small one but I also had a 25 mark one on my list that covered the 10 mark one so I scrubbed that one out, and another one I done already aswell. So yay? :P Just need to write them three up and then revise them all, and pay particular attention to the researchers!!

ReputationRep:
    Whoever posted the notes on Aggression/Eating/Biological rhythms is my new hero, that's exactly what we're doing now

Our college decided that Unit 4 was harder than Unit 3, so they chose to do that in January, which is fair enough, seeing as it is - what I don't like about A2 psychology is how the format changed, and the method of teaching changed with it.

At AS, the focus is on it as a science, so our teacher gave us a pretty firm method/structure to answer questions - 1 mark per relevant point, evaluation as 4 point rules, so say there was a 25 mark question, there'd be enough A01 for 9 marks and enough A02 for 16 marks.

Now though, it's more focused on essays which I hate got a new teacher who also teaches Sociology, and basically she said 'put as much down as you can, A01 and A02, don't worry about A03 as it's included in the A02', which doesn't help explain what you ACTUALLY need to put

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R.J. Omega)
    Whoever posted the notes on Aggression/Eating/Biological rhythms is my new hero, that's exactly what we're doing now

Our college decided that Unit 4 was harder than Unit 3, so they chose to do that in January, which is fair enough, seeing as it is - what I don't like about A2 psychology is how the format changed, and the method of teaching changed with it.

At AS, the focus is on it as a science, so our teacher gave us a pretty firm method/structure to answer questions - 1 mark per relevant point, evaluation as 4 point rules, so say there was a 25 mark question, there'd be enough A01 for 9 marks and enough A02 for 16 marks.

Now though, it's more focused on essays which I hate got a new teacher who also teaches Sociology, and basically she said 'put as much down as you can, A01 and A02, don't worry about A03 as it's included in the A02', which doesn't help explain what you ACTUALLY need to put
    The A02/A03 bit she said is rubbish :/ A02 is research and methodology mostly. A03 is IDAs... completly different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephhcharlene)
    The A02/A03 bit she said is rubbish :/ A02 is research and methodology mostly. A03 is IDAs... completly different?
    That's what annoyed me - I thought A03 was the criticism/commentary of research/evidence (A02) that supports or criticises the main theory (A01), but I've been told by others since then that's it's just Issues, Debates and Alternative Approaches/Explanations, which is separate. Now I'm thinking I know too much about A03 than I should and don't know enough A02

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else just not getting their heads around Gender? I just don't know what the problem is. I have barely any A03 for it, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephhcharlene)

That's what annoyed me - I thought A03 was the criticism/commentary of research/evidence (A02) that supports or criticises the main theory (A01), but I've been told by others since then that's it's just Issues, Debates and Alternative Approaches/Explanations, which is separate. Now I'm thinking I know too much about A03 than I should and don't know enough A02
    A03 is not IDA, but methodological evaluation (but yes this can become A02 only after you've hit the 4 Mark quota)! IDA is credited as A02, but you have to include it to hit the 5-8 Mark boundary and that's only if you make a superficial statement. To progress into higher bands it must be integrated efficiently, but you can get your A02 but contrasting studies and saying how they contradict/support which thereby strengthens/weakens the whole support etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worthyg)
    I started revising gender yesterday and for example in biological explanations:
    "Males were found to have different functions and anatomy of hypothalamus. Swaab and Fliers found evidence in the sexually dimorphic nucleus INAH1 located in hypothalamus. They found that men had 2.5 times larger sexually dimorphic nucleus with 2.2 times number of cells. Later studies contradicted these findings and INAH2 and INAH3 were identified. LeVay found size differences only in INAH3, which arise from pre-natal action of sex hormones"
    Where AO1 ends and AO2/3 starts here?

Could someone help me with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Would someone just quickly check my plan for group displays?

Introduction: Quickly define group displays
    Sports events are competitive and often display aggression through words and gestures, but why does it occur in crowds?

Social Learning theory: Players are role models/ apspirational and crowds imitate this. Such aggression is seen in NIRS study where they found link between aggression and US football matches.

Evalution: Correlational study so no cause and effect, also it's culture bound to the US which is a country that encourages competitiveness. Also Marsh et al found contact aggression was not the norm and in reports from Strathclyde found after a match between the celtics and rangers there was only five arrests out of 500,000, which was only a 1% increase from non football match days.
    Overall the findings are mixed and we can't say for sure why aggression occurs at football matches. Although Marsh suggests that it's a concept that is sensationalised by the media.

Lynch Mobs: Collective group who usually target and kill an individual, paticularly prominent in the US and other countries.

Two explanations based on the lynchings in the US
    Sociological power threat: When minority increases so does the amount of lynchings as they are seen as an increasing threat.
    Or the self attention theory where the amount of lynchings increases with the increase in mob members.

Leader found support for the self attention theory based on analysing US newspaper reports and photographic evidence. this theory could also be explained by deindividuation and the dehumanising of black african americans.

However Leightweis Goff claims this doesn't explain the blood thirsty nature of lynch mobs.

Conclusion: The evidence suggesting football crowds have are usually no contact contrasts with lynch mobs and suggests that there are different motives that draw crowds together, which may or may not result in aggression. It's also important to note that not all crowds participate in aggression so there must be a variety of factors that influence the outcome of aggression.

Anything else I can add?
    I also have a psychodynamic perspective for lynch mobs but I dunno whether I'd fit it in!
    That seems fine, but social learning theory is quite big on vicarious learning so perhaps show that watching a model be rewarded or punished can change the form of vicarious reinforcement you receive. Perhaps mention Banduras bobo doll studies to illustrate this (it's in pro and anti social behaviour, quite easy to learn, argue and evaluate).

You could also use diffusion of responsibility, but i think what you have so far is fine.

ReputationRep:
    please can someone explain to me what A01 A02 and A03 marks include? and what is IDA??? my teacher hasn't told us anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk1234)
    please can someone explain to me what A01 A02 and A03 marks include? and what is IDA??? my teacher hasn't told us anything
    It's on the APA website for Psychology 'A' in the specification here. P29 will give you the descriptions along with what's expected between the A/B and E/U grade boundaries.

AO1
    Knowledge and
    understanding of science
    and of how science works
    Candidates should be able
    to:
    • recognise, recall and
    show understanding of
    scientific knowledge
    • select, organise and
    communicate relevant
    information in a variety of forms

AO2
    Application of knowledge
    and understanding of
    science and of how
    science works
    to:
    • analyse and evaluate
    scientific knowledge and
    processes
    • apply scientific knowledge
    and processes to
    unfamiliar situations
    including those related to
    issues
    • assess the validity,
    reliability and credibility of
    scientific informatio

AO3
    How science works
    to:
    • demonstrate and describe
    ethical, safe and skilful
    practical techniques and
    processes, selecting
    appropriate qualitative
    and quantitative methods
    • make, record and
    communicate reliable
    and valid observations
    and measurements with
    appropriate precision and
    accuracy
    • analyse, interpret,
    explain and evaluate the
    methodology, results and
    impact of their own and
    others’ experimental and
    investigative activities in a
    variety of ways

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if they will ask you outline and evaluate JUST explanations of psychological androgyny

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, hope all ur revision is going well i just ave a few questions...

> How many marks or % on average do u need to get to get an A?
    > What are the actuall explanations of androgeny and dyspohria in gender, i dont think the books very clear..?
    > How many studies should u include in each 25 mark essay..?
    > How r u all revising..? like r u jus writing loads of essays n getting them marked..?
    > Does any1 have notes for schizophrenia - i think im a bit confused wid tht topic.. ?

Thank you, would appreciate any advice/help...xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentToday)

> What are the actuall explanations of androgeny and dyspohria in gender, i dont think the books very clear..?
    > How r u all revising..? like r u jus writing loads of essays n getting them marked..?
    > Does any1 have notes for schizophrenia - i think im a bit confused wid tht topic.. ?

- i havent done any of your units, but basically, what i did was create a powerpoint for each unit, and then just memorise those
    - then i write a 25 mark for every question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentToday)

For your first question, in January of this year you needed 44 marks out of 75 to scrape an A, but keep in mind the boundarys shift every year, you can use this site to check them all over: http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_a2.php?id=04

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    For your first question, in January of this year you needed 44 marks out of 75 to scrape an A, but keep in mind the boundarys shift every year, you can use this site to check them all over: http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_a2.php?id=04
    Only 44 out of 75 for an A, was that it?! :eek:

Going by that you could lose 15-20 marks and still end up with an A*! :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    Only 44 out of 75 for an A, was that it?! :eek:

Going by that you could lose 15-20 marks and still end up with an A*! :eek2:
    Yeah if you only did 2 essays and got full marks on each, you could still get an A! this makes me feel much better

if i dont get an A/B my life will end lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.