Turn on thread page Beta

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRockMaster)
    How much is IDA actually worth?
    I have the balance sorted but I think I am saying a little less on the IDA.

I usually leave it to the end...for example

This is reductionist beacuase.....
    This is not generalisable....
    self imposed etic....
    Nature/Nurture (diathesis stress model)...

Would a sentence or two for each of those (if applicable) be enough?

Thanks for the help guys!
    IDA has no set allocation (it's not A03 marks, don't understand why people seem to have been told it is), its just required to push you into the higher boundaries. Examiners generally state that they don't like to see it at the end of an essay, but integrated throughout, so if you can mention those things throughout, rather than at the end, the examiner will want to put you in a higher band, since it's based on how you write, not how many points are covered. In the june 2010 examiners report they said 'Occasionally candidates would provide a closing paragraph of IDA; this made it difficult for them to contextualise the material and to demonstrate clear understanding of its relevance.'

Yes it is likely to be enough, but it needs to be integrated (and remember if you have more IDA just use it, they help total up A02 marks, and examiners believe you're a stronger candidate )

remember different approaches is worth IDA also (generalisability isn't however, unless it is related to gender or culture)

hope some of this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    In a full 25 marker, it is 9 for AO1, and 16 for AO2. 4 of the AO2 marks come from IDA, but you need to have a mention of them to get into the higher grade bands.

So basically: AO1- 9 marks
    AO2 (Methodological evaluation)- 12 marks
    AO2/3 (IDA)- 4 marks

Hope that helps? Aha, I'm only going for a C though, take what I say with a pinch of salt...
    ermm A02 is general evaluation which includes IDA, & A03 is methodological evaluation (but if you reach the 4 mark quota it can then be transferred over to A02, so its sorta both)

(sorry if i sound totally annoyingg lol, i'm going with what my college said, & what it seems to be on the spec [though its not very clear], but i'm guessing my college is right since its was 70%+ with A or higher in psya4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandwine)
    57 UMS marks, not RAW marks

UMS = /100, so...
    A = 80 UMS marks
    B = 70 UMS marks
    C = 60 UMS marks
    D = 50 UMS marks
    do you know what that is in actual marks? Like how many marks out of 75 would you have to get in PsyA3 to get an A* on that paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseanne16)
    do you know what that is in actual marks? Like how many marks out of 75 would you have to get in PsyA3 to get an A* on that paper?
    Unfortunately those marks vary every year, in accordance to how easy/hard everyone sitting the exam found it.
    So say everyone found it hard, an A* may be adjusted to like, I don't know, 40/75, for example, but in an easier paper, an A* may be something like 60/75 - so no one can really ever say for sure.

ReputationRep:
    It changes every exam session, search aqa grade boundaries and they should be there. Think it was 51/75 for an a* in Jan off the top of my head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet&petitee)
    It changes every exam session, search aqa grade boundaries and they should be there. Think it was 51/75 for an a* in Jan off the top of my head
    do you know where abouts on the website this is? i can't find it anywhere

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/scien...?id=03&prev=03

ReputationRep:
    do you know where abouts on the website this is? i can't find it anywhere

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/scien...?id=03&prev=03
    here's the link, just click on the session you want the grade boundaries for

http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_grade.php

ReputationRep:
    Concerning Eating Behaviour and specifically the failure of dieting...someone explain to me Herman & Macks preload/taste test? Do noooot understand. And the All or nothing thing?

I don't even think diets will come up, but revising it anyway!

ReputationRep:
    ermm A02 is general evaluation which includes IDA, & A03 is methodological evaluation (but if you reach the 4 mark quota it can then be transferred over to A02, so its sorta both)

(sorry if i sound totally annoyingg lol, i'm going with what my college said, & what it seems to be on the spec [though its not very clear], but i'm guessing my college is right since its was 70%+ with A or higher in psya4)
    Aha it's fine, my teachers have been absolutely awful, I trust your explanation, cheers for clearing that up for me as well though

ReputationRep:
    here's the link, just click on the session you want the grade boundaries for

http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_grade.php
    Thanks hun, you're a star!

The boundaries seem really low tho in the jan 2011 series! 44/75 for an A?? thats like 21 marks could be lost... not that i'm complaining!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have notes/essay on psychological androgyny and gender dysphoria?

ReputationRep:
    any ideas of what's gnna come up on aggression, eating disorders and sleep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MVD_02)
    any ideas of what's gnna come up on aggression, eating disorders and sleep?
    For sleep, i have a feeling it will be on consequences of sleep disruption, e.g. shift work and jet lag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr123)
    For sleep, i have a feeling it will be on consequences of sleep disruption, e.g. shift work and jet lag.
    I agree, and for aggression I'm expecting group display OR neural and hormonal mechanisms in aggression.

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to find studies/evaluate the consequences of disrupting sleep :/ anyone fancy helping? aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    I'm struggling to find studies/evaluate the consequences of disrupting sleep :/ anyone fancy helping? aha
    I'm actually revising now, so I will mainly list all the research I've got, I don't have time to explain all of them to you, sorry

JET LAG
    Wegman et al - phase delay easier to adapt to than phase advance
    further support Schwartz et al - baseball players study
    HOWEVER could be due to stress - Stewart et al (rats)
    Despite that, unlikely to be due to stress - Takahashi et al

SHIFT WORK
    Gold (nurses questionnaire)
    Czeisler et al (chemical plant in Utah)
    further support Boivin and James (study on night-workers)
    physical effects - Knutsson (heart disease)
    further support Martino (organ diseases)
    reducing the negative effects - social support and some control at work - Pisarski
    however must consider indiv. differences - Webb (some more alert in the morning, some in the afternoon)

That's all the research I've used in my essay plan Hope it helps x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esachica)
    Concerning Eating Behaviour and specifically the failure of dieting...someone explain to me Herman & Macks preload/taste test? Do noooot understand. And the All or nothing thing?

I don't even think diets will come up, but revising it anyway!
    Regarding Herman and Macks experiment, basically they had a group of dieters, and a group of non dieters. They then gave both groups either a high calorie preload (a browine, or milkshake) or a low calorie preload (a cracker). A preload's just a snack thing before the experiment.

After this, they allowed both groups access to food, kind of like an experimental buffet, and found that when the non dieters were given a high preload, they didnt eat much at all, when they were given a low preload, they ate a lot of food.

Dieters on the other hand, when given the high pre load ate a lot more food than when given the low calorie preload, this shows that the dieters had lost their restraint over their eating, and just thought "Fu*k it, I've already had a brownie, lets go all out."

So yeah, Non dieters with low preload - Ate the most
    Non dieters with high preload- didn't eat much
    dieters with low preload- ate the least
    dieters with high preload- ate a lot, well over the non dieter w/ high preload.

Hope that kinda helps, I was going by the 1975 study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkajanik)
    I'm actually revising now, so I will mainly list all the research I've got, I don't have time to explain all of them to you, sorry

JET LAG
    Wegman et al - phase delay easier to adapt to than phase advance
    further support Schwartz et al - baseball players study
    HOWEVER could be due to stress - Stewart et al (rats)
    Despite that, unlikely to be due to stress - Takahashi et al

SHIFT WORK
    Gold (nurses questionnaire)
    Czeisler et al (chemical plant in Utah)
    further support Boivin and James (study on night-workers)
    physical effects - Knutsson (heart disease)
    further support Martino (organ diseases)
    reducing the negative effects - social support and some control at work - Pisarski
    however must consider indiv. differences - Webb (some more alert in the morning, some in the afternoon)

That's all the research I've used in my essay plan Hope it helps x
    Ahhh you're a saviour! I'll make sure to read up on 'em now, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink_is_bright)
    im not confident about any of it and its only a week away! im screwed!!!
    with sleep disorders can they ask about one particular one? coz i dont have anywhere near enough info for a 25 marker on narcolepsy for example!! thanks
    Tbh, I'm not too sure. Yeah I'm having the same problem as you...Maybe, it may come us a 16 mark question or 9 mark question. I think that'd be more manageable.
    For sleep disorders, we don't need to include any treatments do we?
    sorry for the late reply by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an idea for what they think will come up for, relationships and gender?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2012

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.