Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr.phalange)
    Evolutionary Explanations of Food Preference is the only thing that hasn't come up.. and I'm thinking they might ask Explanations of an eating disorder too, but a specific one as the last time that came up it wasn't specific at all.. who knows though!
    I agree with you there, though I hate evolutionary explanations of eating. I hardly have any A02 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MVD_02)
    evolutionary explanations of food preference well I think so i think it'll be a 25 marker!

how would you evaluate the evolutionary explanations of it? ive got some points but dont seem like alot!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet&petitee)
    I agree with you there, though I hate evolutionary explanations of eating. I hardly have any A02 :/
    thats exactly how i feel! i dont have hardly anything to evaluate it with!!

what would we actually need to talk about? how digestive tract has changed etc, our senses and how we became meat eaters?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr123)
    I doubt nature of sleep will come up, as it came up in January.
    Nature of sleep hasnt come up yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerry92)
    the treatments of the sleep disorder can be used to evaluate the disorder/explanation, read that on a past paper mark scheme
    cheers...hang on, I don't actually know any treatments to put in the essay lol..any ideas for any of the sleep disorders?

ReputationRep:

I don't mind it really.. but I'm same only have 3 A02 point so I have 3 different theories and then evaluate all of them if it's a 25 marker! Wouldn't mind a question on eating disorders though.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigzy29)
    Nature of sleep hasnt come up yet
    Whats nature of sleep? just summarise some bits again? complete mind blank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiebiscuit)
    cheers...hang on, I don't actually know any treatments to put in the essay lol..any ideas for any of the sleep disorders?
    sleep apnoea would probably be an alright one to evaluate, for the obstructive sleep apnoea you can mention that weightloss is very good at reducing symptoms (as its correlated with obesity). and also sugery can be used to widen the upper airways which tends to be successful

for central sleep apnoea treatment is usually based on treating the underlying cerebrovascula side of it, which then helps reduce the symptoms!

for narcolepsy, for evaluation mention that they have found what seems to be the cause- a lack of the neurochemical orexin (or a lack of its receptors) yet they still do not have a drug/cure available despite this which is a weakness.

but narcolepsy is good to evaluate in general anyway-by saying how it does seem likely that REM is invading wakefulness-because in REM our muscles lose tone so this would explain cataplexy and sleep paralysis etc.

to evaluate sleepwalking based on the psychodynamic suggestions-you could argue the theory does not explain the tasks that people do whilst sleepwalking, and that the approach is as usual mainly based on case studies and so unable to be generalised.

insomnia would be easier as you can evaluate it by saying that sleeping pills may seem helpful but when the person stops taking them their sleep is actually much worst.

you can also use gregory et al study to evaluate insomnia, as it highlights the link between early anxiety and later insomnia.

there is probably other stuff aswell but that is just off the top of my head!!hope that helps if you need an extras let me know

ReputationRep:
    sleep apnoea would probably be an alright one to evaluate, for the obstructive sleep apnoea you can mention that weightloss is very good at reducing symptoms (as its correlated with obesity). and also sugery can be used to widen the upper airways which tends to be successful

for central sleep apnoea treatment is usually based on treating the underlying cerebrovascula side of it, which then helps reduce the symptoms!

for narcolepsy, for evaluation mention that they have found what seems to be the cause- a lack of the neurochemical orexin (or a lack of its receptors) yet they still do not have a drug/cure available despite this which is a weakness.

but narcolepsy is good to evaluate in general anyway-by saying how it does seem likely that REM is invading wakefulness-because in REM our muscles lose tone so this would explain cataplexy and sleep paralysis etc.

to evaluate sleepwalking based on the psychodynamic suggestions-you could argue the theory does not explain the tasks that people do whilst sleepwalking, and that the approach is as usual mainly based on case studies and so unable to be generalised.

insomnia would be easier as you can evaluate it by saying that sleeping pills may seem helpful but when the person stops taking them their sleep is actually much worst.

you can also use gregory et al study to evaluate insomnia, as it highlights the link between early anxiety and later insomnia.

there is probably other stuff aswell but that is just off the top of my head!!hope that helps if you need an extras let me know
    That was really helpful... thumbs up ...ah I actually feel a bit more prepared for the exam now for once. Thanks once again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiebiscuit)
    That was really helpful... thumbs up ...ah I actually feel a bit more prepared for the exam now for once. Thanks once again!

oh good! well good luck

ReputationRep:
    how would you evaluate the evolutionary explanations of it? ive got some points but dont seem like alot!!
    heyy yeah im going it now and I can't seem to find a lot :\ but you can evaluate it that there are cultural differences in food preferences, there has also been research to show that early humans may have been vegetarians but then other evidence has shown this is not the case. Also using animals in studies can be evaluated I Really do think this is gnna be the 25 marker :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr123)
    I doubt nature of sleep will come up, as it came up in January.
    yeah nature of sleep didn't come up tho! lifespan changes did

ReputationRep:
    for evolutionary explanations of food preference. .if I talk about early diets and meat and not mention taste aversion..do u think its enough?!

ReputationRep:
    heyy yeah im going it now and I can't seem to find a lot :\ but you can evaluate it that there are cultural differences in food preferences, there has also been research to show that early humans may have been vegetarians but then other evidence has shown this is not the case. Also using animals in studies can be evaluated I Really do think this is gnna be the 25 marker :\
    ahh ok thankyou yeah im pretty sure it will to as everything else has come up.... unless AQA trick us and its something repeated!!

ReputationRep:
    for evolutionary explanations of food preference. .if I talk about early diets and meat and not mention taste aversion..do u think its enough?!
    i was going to add in about how our senses have evolved so that we can tell what foods we need to eat? and talk about meat, but i considered briefly going into taste aversion etc if i have time!

ReputationRep:
    i was going to add in about how our senses have evolved so that we can tell what foods we need to eat? and talk about meat, but i considered briefly going into taste aversion etc if i have time!
    omg aqa better not trick us haha im hoping this is the one!!! im proper writing out an essay now to learn
    yeahh ur ryt!! because things that were important to our ancestors then maybe be harmful to us now and so we are more likely to avoid them! yeahh defo talk about meat and calories and that and yeah i think ill include a mini paragraph on taste aversion!!

ReputationRep:
    omg aqa better not trick us haha im hoping this is the one!!! im proper writing out an essay now to learn
    yeahh ur ryt!! because things that were important to our ancestors then maybe be harmful to us now and so we are more likely to avoid them! yeahh defo talk about meat and calories and that and yeah i think ill include a mini paragraph on taste aversion!!
    What is there evaluative to say about meat/calories?? I have more to say about taste aversion learning than meat etc

ReputationRep:
    What is there evaluative to say about meat/calories?? I have more to say about taste aversion learning than meat etc
    tbh I have more AO1 points on meat but not many evaluative! what evaluative points do u have taste averision?

ReputationRep:
    you can say that fossil evidence shows that changes to our digestive tract have happened that allowed us to switch to meat eaters.

and also that evidence shows that our mollars have got smaller through evolution which would have helped us chew food better/eat more meat!

ReputationRep:
    yeah same i really hope it comes up! not because its the best topic in the world but just because i am going over it loads!!

ok cool thanks!

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.