Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    very confused right now... (RELATIONSHIPS)
    How would you answer include the following questions...
    - Disucss the relationship between sexual selection and human reporductive behaviour
    - Outline and evaluate the evolutionary approach to parental investment
    When ever i try to answer them i talk about the same stuff and the same research i treat them as if they are the same question but there not.. Can some1 help this i ssoooo confusing..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    Ahhhhhhhh I learned an insane technique for memorising names like that. It's kind of a basic Loci system.

Basically mate, you create mental images, linking the names to the content, findings, anything else relevant, but make sure the images are vivid and different.

For instance, for the deprivation model of institutional aggression within prisons (Paterline & Peterson), what I have is Chris Griffin (Peter's son) Patting a line across the floor (Paterline), whilst crying about missing his dad (deprivation!). For the importation model (Irwin & Cressey), I have a piece of cress (Cressey) doing his own impression of Charlie sheen "Err winning" (Irwin), all on top of a big Ferry (Importation).

It may seem like a bit of work, but I actually find it a quite entertaining method of revision, and you'd be surprised how easy it is to recall the images, if you make them wierd enough! You can also link them together, so one could lead on to another, for intance the ferry could run into an island with Chris Griffin rocking back and forth etc.

Sorry about the essay aha, I'm quite passionate about this method of memorising stuff!
    That is actually BRILLIANT...lol
    I really need something to spice up psychology revision
    This might do the trick .... absolutely love the Charlie Sheen one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoodOl'CharlieB)
    That is actually BRILLIANT...lol
    I really need something to spice up psychology revision
    This might do the trick .... absolutely love the Charlie Sheen one
    Ahahaa, it's so good, as long as the pictures aren't too wierd to not actually relaise what they're saying it works a treat! For sociology I managed the entire book through these pictures, and could recite the thing, in order with out looking .

Christ, I have too much time on my hands...

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me who is still concerned by the fact that we have to write 3 detailed as well as lengthy essays within an hour and a half???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dourish)
    Is it just me who is still concerned by the fact that we have to write 3 detailed as well as lengthy essays within an hour and a half???
    They sometimes split the questions up to make it easier.
    For example, it's usually aggression you'll get a 25 marker. Then say in gender they'll ask you to outline two theories or something.

I'm really sick of revising this subject tbh. I'll be glad when Friday has been and gone. My predictions are:
    Aggression: The biological approach or group displays
    Biological rhythms: Disruption of biological rhythms or life span changes.
    Gender: Androgyn/ gender dysmorphia or cross cultural findings, maybe social influences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    They sometimes split the questions up to make it easier.
    For example, it's usually aggression you'll get a 25 marker. Then say in gender they'll ask you to outline two theories or something.

I'm really sick of revising this subject tbh. I'll be glad when Friday has been and gone. My predictions are:
    Aggression: The biological approach or group displays
    Biological rhythms: Disruption of biological rhythms or life span changes.
    Gender: Androgyn/ gender dysmorphia or cross cultural findings, maybe social influences.
    Personally, I think it's very unlikely they will give us a question on lifespan changes, as one has already come up, and it's not really a massive topic It's more likely they will give us something on the nature of sleep tbh... ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkajanik)
    Personally, I think it's very unlikely they will give us a question on lifespan changes, as one has already come up, and it's not really a massive topic It's more likely they will give us something on the nature of sleep tbh... ^^
    What IS the nature of sleep?

Do you mean sleep disorders? or the functions of sleep?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realised. It's basically SWS, REM etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

No idea about anyone else, but I am DREADING this exam!
    There is no way I will be able to finish in the time limit, my timed essays are taking 45mins and there is far FAR too much to learn! Wish AQA would cut it down a bit.

Anyway, I'm doing...
    Eating Behaviour
    Aggression
    Intelligence and Learning (Eurgh.)

Reading through the thread, it people seem to think that Biological Explanations (please please PLEASE!) or Group Display (NO NO NO!) will come up for Aggression,
    and Eating Behaviour seems to be focusing on Evolutionary (Meh)

Does ANYONE have any predictions for INTELLIGENCE? It is easily the most horrific topic I've ever come across in anything. Ever. :'(

Best of luck everyone! x

ReputationRep:
    The nature of sleep is basically all the stages and characteristics, you know, SWS and REM etc.
    It won't be a 25 marker, more likely a part of one question. They might for example give us a, let's say, 6 marker on describing the nature of sleep, and then a 19 marker on insomnia, but I do believe that the question will be on the disruptions of bio rhythms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkajanik)
    The nature of sleep is basically all the stages and characteristics, you know, SWS and REM etc.
    It won't be a 25 marker, more likely a part of one question. They might for example give us a, let's say, 6 marker on describing the nature of sleep, and then a 19 marker on insomnia, but I do believe that the question will be on the disruptions of bio rhythms
    Ahh! I understand now. Just me having a dumb moment.

I think insomnia came up last year. The disruption of biological rhythms looks quite likely, which is fine. I'd love one of the restoration theories to come up, but oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, insomnia did come up, but it was on explanation of ANY sleep disorders. I was thinking more about factors influencing insomnia and the difference between primary and secondary. Looks like a good 19 marker - 3 A01 on the difference and then evaluating the factors (such as sleep apnoea, personality etc.) and bringing up research
    I don't think any restoration theories will come up, the had functions of sleep recently, didn't they?

ReputationRep:
    Here's a list of all the past questions for my topics (in case anyone wants to know)
    BIO RHYTHMS & SLEEP
    Jan 11 role of endogenous pacemakers
    Jun 10 lifespan changes in sleep and explanations for functions of sleep
    Jan 10 circadian rhythms and explanations for sleep disorders
    (this year I'm thinking disrupting rhythms/factors influencing insomnia/nature of sleep)

RELATIONSHIPS
    Jan 11 formation of relationships
    Jun 10 relationships in different cultures
    Jan 10 evolutionary approach to parental investment
    (maybe sexual selection/influence of early and/or adolescent exp. on adult relationships)

AGGRESSION
    Jan 11 evolutionary explanations of human aggression
    Jun 10 genetic factors and social explanations of aggression
    Jan 10 explanations of institutional aggression
    (group display/neural & hormonal mechanisms?)

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TGBuble)
    Hello!

No idea about anyone else, but I am DREADING this exam!
    There is no way I will be able to finish in the time limit, my timed essays are taking 45mins and there is far FAR too much to learn! Wish AQA would cut it down a bit.

Anyway, I'm doing...
    Eating Behaviour
    Aggression
    Intelligence and Learning (Eurgh.)

Reading through the thread, it people seem to think that Biological Explanations (please please PLEASE!) or Group Display (NO NO NO!) will come up for Aggression,
    and Eating Behaviour seems to be focusing on Evolutionary (Meh)

Does ANYONE have any predictions for INTELLIGENCE? It is easily the most horrific topic I've ever come across in anything. Ever. :'(

Best of luck everyone! x
    These are the past questions on intelligence.. looks likely that the evolution of human intelligence could come up

Outline Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences. (5 marks)
    Outline and evaluate the role of genetic factors in intelligence test performance.
    (4 marks + 16 marks)

‘We now realise that animal behaviour can be too complex to be explained through simple
    conditioning.’
    Discuss evidence for intelligence in non-human animals.

Outline one psychometric theory of intelligence and one information processing theory
    of intelligence. (9 marks)
    Evaluate the psychometric approach to intelligence and/or the information processing
    approach to intelligence. (16 marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larfs)
    These are the past questions on intelligence.. looks likely that the evolution of human intelligence could come up

Outline Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences. (5 marks)
    Outline and evaluate the role of genetic factors in intelligence test performance.
    (4 marks + 16 marks)

‘We now realise that animal behaviour can be too complex to be explained through simple
    conditioning.’
    Discuss evidence for intelligence in non-human animals.

Outline one psychometric theory of intelligence and one information processing theory
    of intelligence. (9 marks)
    Evaluate the psychometric approach to intelligence and/or the information processing
    approach to intelligence. (16 marks)
    Thanks for that! If Evolution came up I wouldn't be troubled at all Either want that, or a question on Classical/Operant conditiong. Otherwise, I'm screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MVD_02)
    wow seriously start it today!! you got 4 days left! you need to make sure u remember all the studies and points :\
    I'll start tomorrow. One day for one topic, shouldn't be difficult. (sarcasm). cramming always worries the hell out of me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    What IS the nature of sleep?

Do you mean sleep disorders? or the functions of sleep?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realised. It's basically SWS, REM etc etc.
    Hmm, my text book doesn't really talk much about SWS, just NREM and its different stages, and REM. The examiners must get confused with all the different terminology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaandcoffee)
    I'll start tomorrow. One day for one topic, shouldn't be difficult. (sarcasm). cramming always worries the hell out of me
    lool make sure you do okay! i been typing up essays all day then tuesday-friday gotta learn them ALLLL fml

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=chigzy29;32145997]Nature of sleep hasnt come up yet[/QUOT

O yer, i got confused with lifespan changes in sleep which came up in June.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, we all know that psychology is hard but it can be done!

I know theres probs people posted on here right now..... but if someone would like to help me?

What topics do you think will come up for:

Aggression
    Relationships
    Eating Behaviours

- THANKS and please quote me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MVD_02)
    lool make sure you do okay! i been typing up essays all day then tuesday-friday gotta learn them ALLLL fml
    Good luck! Fortunately cramming is my best form of revision. If I revise weeks in advance I feel a lot less prepared. Strange.

Ahh I'm not going to do many essays, just go with it I guess... Need to find lots of AO3 and chuck that in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2012

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.