Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    this will sound really stupid, but do we get a question on each of our three topics, say: sleep, eating and relationships? if so, how long do we spend on each one?

ReputationRep:
    can someone please post a detailed plan on what to write for an essay on group display as an adaptive response?! I am finding t really hard to find good A02 and A03 points. this is soooo stressful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerry92)
    i learnt it just as people with anorexia seem to have underactive serotonin pathways/reduced amount of receptors for serotonin... so it is low levels of it that is apparently leading to the anorexia.

remember to point out for evaluation though, that we cannot be sure whether the abnormality caused anorexia or whether anorexia itself caused the abnormality as anorexia disrupts hormone balance.

hopefully that helps you
    Ahhh wicked, thank you so much Stressing out!

ReputationRep:
    omg this thread is going too fast lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im really panicking so whoever is doing relationships could you please help..

If there is a 25 mark question on sexual selection (9+16) ..for the A01, do i write about intrasexual and intersexual selection or do i write about short-term mating prefernces and long-term? Or both(as in all four?) On page 48 Doggy book

ReputationRep:
    hi does anyone know what topics are likely to come up for relationships, gender and biological?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annagxd)
    can someone please post a detailed plan on what to write for an essay on group display as an adaptive response?! I am finding t really hard to find good A02 and A03 points. this is soooo stressful!
    I have one, but I'm not sure how good it is? I'm only aiming for a grade C, so yeah, i'll paste it here and you can pick and choose out what you like hope it helps in some way aha (I used the Collins 'eye' book and the Cardwell & Flanagan 'dog' book for my stuff..)

Intro - Explain evolutionary psychology & go on to say about examples of group display as adaptive include... BREIFLY

AO1 - Lynch mobs, Power-threat hypothesis (Blalock, 1967) explain how it's adaptive
    AO2 - - Backed up by Tolnay and Beck reasons for lynching, trying to vote etc.
    AO2 - - However, Clark (2006) found that afro-brazillian's held no threat to politics, but were still lynched

AO1 - Social transitions and need for conformity (Patterson, 1999)
    AO2 - - Backed up by Boyd and Richerson (1990) discovering groups who co-operated flourish

AO2 - Alt approach - Deindividuation, Mullen (1986) saying that lynch mobs that had larger crowds had more violent killings, he put this down to deindividuation.
    AO3 - - Used secondary content analysis, paper's could be biased or lie to sell stories
    AO2 - - Rothenberg (1998) points out that most lynchings were during the day, and that some had very few members

AO1 - Religious displays - cooperative gains, Irons (2001) points out trouble for species is how to gain a cooperative feel, he states using painful rtuals helps this, and having a large group means better survival
    AO1 - This was extended into the costly signalling theory by Zahavi (1975), who states these rituals are to deter free riders

AO2 - - Ruffle & Sosis (2005) Uses isreali jews as an example to back up this point, the men had greater cooperative bonds than the women, Ruffle and Sosis put this down to the fact that synagogoue attendance was needed for males, and they also had to pray in the scorching heat. These provided a sense of group.
    AO2 - - Chen (2003) found that during the indonesian financial crisis, families donated more of their money and time to the muslim religions. This suggests that as the rewards are greater, so are the costs.

Synoptic points - There is a dark side to the evolutionary approach, in that the stonger intra-group solidarity can result in more inter group conflict. This is backed up by countless religous wars, and crusades etc.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if group display Aggression has come up as a 25 marker before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safwaansh)
    most of that sounds like alien to me. very worried now.
    Here's all I have:

1) Research into infants
    - 16 Hours sleep
    - Due to restoration theory
    - Animal studies using the 'flowerpot technique'
    (A02) animal ethics
    (A02) can't generalise to young infants

2) Research into children
    - 12 hours sleep + parasomnias E.G. sleep walking
    - Due to less developed GABA neurotransmitter
    (A02) Reductionist
    (A02) Objective

3) Research into adolescents
    - 9-10 hours, phase advance
    - Crowely phase advance hypothesis due to hormone changes
    (A02) Deterministic
    (A02) Individual Differences

4) Research into adults
    - Phase advance
    (A02) Borbely et al - 60% older people take naps = confounding variables
    (A02) Dement - Sample bias due to busy middle aged people

5) Obayan's meta analysis
    - Total sleep time decreased, deep NREM decreased, males sleep more than females.
    (A02) reliable - lots of date
    (A02) External validity
    (A02) Individual differences - Webb found same date with same participants on different nights, but not across participants.
    (A02) Cultural differences

That's all I have on the topic and I've taken stuff from other areas.

ReputationRep:
    can someone post the link to a past exam paper on here pleaase ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alya.xo)
    Hi, im really panicking so whoever is doing relationships could you please help..

If there is a 25 mark question on sexual selection (9+16) ..for the A01, do i write about intrasexual and intersexual selection or do i write about short-term mating prefernces and long-term? Or both(as in all four?) On page 48 Doggy book
    all 4 are fine to mention though you wouldnt necessarily need all 4, as most marks would be ao2/3... so even if you just mentioned some of that youd be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidougal)
    can someone post the link to a past exam paper on here pleaase ?
    Jan 2010 - http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...W-QP-JAN10.PDF

June 2010 - http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...W-QP-JUN10.PDF

Specimen - http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...3-W-SQP-07.PDF

And I've attached the Jan 2011 one
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Jan 2011.pdf (72.1 KB, 103 views)

ReputationRep:
    thank you! been looking for the jan 2011 one everywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFondledAGibbon)
    Here's all I have:

1) Research into infants
    - 16 Hours sleep
    - Due to restoration theory
    - Animal studies using the 'flowerpot technique'
    (A02) animal ethics
    (A02) can't generalise to young infants

2) Research into children
    - 12 hours sleep + parasomnias E.G. sleep walking
    - Due to less developed GABA neurotransmitter
    (A02) Reductionist
    (A02) Objective

3) Research into adolescents
    - 9-10 hours, phase advance
    - Crowely phase advance hypothesis due to hormone changes
    (A02) Deterministic
    (A02) Individual Differences

4) Research into adults
    - Phase advance
    (A02) Borbely et al - 60% older people take naps = confounding variables
    (A02) Dement - Sample bias due to busy middle aged people

5) Obayan's meta analysis
    - Total sleep time decreased, deep NREM decreased, males sleep more than females.
    (A02) reliable - lots of date
    (A02) External validity
    (A02) Individual differences - Webb found same date with same participants on different nights, but not across participants.
    (A02) Cultural differences

That's all I have on the topic and I've taken stuff from other areas.
    thank you! right think i'd better start my final revision session.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alya.xo)
    Anyone know if group display Aggression has come up as a 25 marker before?
    i think its very likely. i just looked through all the past papers and it hasn't come up yet. what theories are you going to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doc.rory)
    does anyone have a sample/model essay on the effect of adolsescence on peer/parent-child relationships?

Could really do with the help, since exam is tomorrow!!!!!!! Its the one of the only essays i can't do
    There you go, hope it helps there might be some things missing out for full 25 marks, if anyone wants to have a look and tell me what else should I include, feel free
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: doc effects of early experience on adult relationships.doc (17.5 KB, 165 views)

ReputationRep:
    Gonna fail this exam. Fml.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alan garner)
    i think its very likely. i just looked through all the past papers and it hasn't come up yet. what theories are you going to do?

Arghh! okay then thanks alot! for group display you mean? if it comes up then im doing lynch mobs and religious rituals..cant wait for this exam to be over!!

ReputationRep:
    For Relationships: sexual selection
    what would we comment on IDA wise?
    like what would we say for it in support of the nature/nurture debate, determinism and reductionism ect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidougal)
    this will sound really stupid, but do we get a question on each of our three topics, say: sleep, eating and relationships? if so, how long do we spend on each one?
    30mins on each = 1hr 30.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.