Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indian_Prince)

i forgot some important words..... someone help please

whats the word for when a theory ignores other theorys, its on the tip of my tounge but i cant get it
    Reductionist x

ReputationRep:
    havent revised that bit yet but il give it a go

so basicly the biosocial approach was made because people were only picking one side, "nature" or "nurture", and so this approach was made to show that both nature and nurture can have an affect on gender develoment. so you could say that it takes into account biological factors and it also takes into account social factors. the approach explains the the interection between biological factors and social factors can influence a persons gender identity. obviously this would be a positive point in the evaluation since it isnt ignoring other factors.

i think it was first created by money. he suggested that the whole gender determining process is coded from a prenatal stage, which is influenced by the genes, and also the hormones going around in the female body which can affect brain development. after the prenatal stage obviously from birth onwards, social factors start to take place, such as the parents will know the whether the child is a boy or a girl and so they will buy the child specific gender linked things, in terms of colour, type of toys, way the child is talked to and treated etc etc. As the child grows, and go through puberty, they get there growth sperts and stuff, females develop breasts, start there periods, and males get large shoulders, physically bigger.

The problem between gender and the childs biological sex is what we have to concentraite on though. so basicly in most cases the childs gender matches there biological sex, but there are times when this is not the case, take for example gender disphoria, where the person thinks they are stuck in the body of a opposite gender, or believe that they were born that way.

Money tried to explain his idea through ******s (intersex for the exam). so he suggested that interesex children who are born with both sex organs can be brought up to be a male or female by gender, basicly they would obviously get rid of one genders sex organs so physically they body would match a single gender rather than two in one, and then they would raise the individual as a certain gender, he basicly just suggested that social factors are a great influence whle the child is being brought up, this would cause the child to accept the gender identity that they "tagged" by (male/female). and for all this he said it was important for all of this to occur within 3 years otherwise it cannt be changed, because at the 3rd year is when gender identity is fully established.

whats the word for when a theory ignores other theorys, its on the tip of my tounge but i cant get it
    Thanks I like that explanation, it explains it more simply than the book.

The word your looking for is reductionist BTW.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait to get this out of the way! I'm pretty confident I've got the case studies and stuff nailed down for this one, it's PSYA4 that I'm worried more about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammie276)
    Thanks I like that explanation, it explains it more simply than the book.

The word your looking for is reductionist BTW.
    thats the one!!!!!! thanks mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicola21)
    Reductionist x
    thanks havent written essays for ages, forgetting all my evaluation words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safwaansh)
    ok thanks. what do you think i need to add to get more AO2 marks?
    Just include the study I gave you or you could include Zimbardo's other study on anonymity were when PPS are dressed in nurses uniforms over KKK uniforms they shock the'learner' in the experiment less. This shows people respond to the social norms associated with the uniforms e.g. nurses are caring and the KKK are seen as ruthless.
    So overall say we become anonymous and lose our individuality when wearing a uniform however the social context of the uniform can determine our actions.

ReputationRep:
    havent revised that bit yet but il give it a go

Gotta be careful with the word "reductionist" though mate, it's not neccesarily just when something ignores other theories, it's when a theory may 'reduce' complex behaviours down to tiny levels, such as cellular stuff, or brain structures. It can also work in behavioural terms, with the conditioning side, but jus' gotta be careful.

If in doubt, I use the word "Limited"

Ps. feel free to ignore everything I just said, it's not that integral, I'm just pedantic with exam stuff aha, sorry if I confuse you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    Gotta be careful with the word "reductionist" though mate, it's not neccesarily just when something ignores other theories, it's when a theory may 'reduce' complex behaviours down to tiny levels, such as cellular stuff, or brain structures. It can also work in behavioural terms, with the conditioning side, but jus' gotta be careful.

Ps. feel free to ignore everything I just said, it's not that integral, I'm just pedantic with exam stuff aha, sorry if I confuse you...
    Nah that's good advice mate and often a point I forget myself, I like your idea to use the word 'limited'.

This thread is helping me revise loads.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't revised in a couple of days due to Literature. Now have tonight and tomorrow morning to cram.

I can't wait to get this exam over with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehhhx)
    I haven't revised in a couple of days due to Literature. Now have tonight and tomorrow morning to cram.

I can't wait to get this exam over with.
    ocr english lit?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got a IDA paragraph on using animals for research. I have no idea what to write for that beyond three sentences.

ReputationRep:

What you said is right, AQA examiners pointed out the overuse of the term reductionist as a fault in many essays. I make the same mistake myself sometimes.

and btw my favourite words instead of reductionist is "Overly simplistic"...lol

ReputationRep:

Out of interest, in what models COULD you use the word reductionist?

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm doing Relationships, Sleep and Cognition&Development

These sections are the only ones that haven't yet been asked:

R'ships:
    - maintenance/breakdown
    - sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour
    -influence of childhood&adolescent experiences on adult relationships

Sleep:
    - infradian, ultradian, exogenous zeitgebers
    - consequences of disruption
    - nature of sleep

Cog & Dev:
    - theories of moral understanding
    - child's understanding of others
    - biological explanations

What do people think will come up? Going to focus on ^ them lot tonight and tomorrow morning and hope for the best. I swear it's impossible to know enough for everything on the spec to get a good grade. I need 67 UMS for an A overall but I'm not massively confident I can remember it all!

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody else taking a risk and missing out a few topics?
    I've missed out Deindivituation (aggression) and explanations for the success/failure of Dieting (eating behaviour) because I don't have time to learn it all
    Tell me I'm not the only one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerry92)
    for the obstructive sleep apnoea you can mention that weightloss is very good at reducing symptoms (as its correlated with obesity). And also sugery can be used to widen the upper airways which tends to be successful

but also use your standard evaluative points for the explanations too, like the psychodynamic explanation of sleep walking is based on case studies which cannot be generalised to the wider population. And also many of the suggested factors are hard to test, therefore lacking reliability and is unscientific-we cannot test for factors such as unconscious anxieties for example.

I hope that helps abit
    thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esachica)
    Out of interest, in what models COULD you use the word reductionist?
    It depends in what context, but personally, I would use it for explanations like Neurotransmitters, hormones, possibly genetics, but they sometimes take into account other things... Operant and classical conditioning (Not so much SLT) and models based on brain structures (All down to basil ganglia blah blah blah)

But again, all depends on what the individual theory would state, hope I help :rolleyes:

Andd I can't stress enough, please don't rely on what I say dead seriously, I'm only a C grade student aha, I know mannnnyyy people on here are going for A's..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TGBuble)
    Is anybody else taking a risk and missing out a few topics?
    I've missed out Deindivituation (aggression) and explanations for the success/failure of Dieting (eating behaviour) because I don't have time to learn it all
    Tell me I'm not the only one?
    I've missed out topics too!

ReputationRep:
    **** this, I'm going to go and shoot myself, anything but this exam.

ReputationRep:
    i swear that evolutionary approach to relationships came up in Jan 2010

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.