Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j211)
    what are your predictions????
    Aggression - Group display as an adaptive response OR Neural and hormonal (would prefer neural and hormonal)

Eating behaviour - Evolutionary preferences to food OR Biological explanations of a disorder

Bio rhythms & Sleep - Nature of sleep OR/AND Consequences of disrupting rhythms (However, I have a feeling they may be mean and ask about a sleep disorder, jus' a gut feeling though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehhhx)
    Cross-cultural apparently, and perhaps Androgyny/Dysphoria....

Speaking of, does anyone know any evaluation for either of those? [Androgyny, etc] I'm talking about Green for Dysphoria, etc. I've just realised I've barely got any after doing a practice response.
    what's green? i've done the brain sex theory for dysphoria

evaluation for androgyny:
    - Bem 1976 found those that scored high on femininity and androgyny on the BSRI was able to deal with a baby crying and student sharing emotional problems (you could counter evaluate that in the fact that the findings are not surprising as the traits for femininity and androgyny include temderness)
    - BSRI lacks temporal validity
    - Archer said children need to establish their own gender identity before they can explore other facets such as androgyny
    - an IDA is real life applications

hope this helps
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nickm926)
    What actually happened with all of that? How did they f*** up?
    On the geo paper they basically got ALL of the tiny things in the syllabus e.g. the things the textbooks cover in 3 lines, and did them for 10 questions. The graphs they used were vague, everyone had to say "The indigo bit of the map" when most of it was indigo. The questions were really vague/specific. Specific e.g. some asked for URBAN aspects and literally no studies existed about it, and vague, most questions just said "Comment on what you see".
    Everyone's mad because compared to June 2010 and January 2011, this paper was a pile of poo. Everyone who revised all found it really difficult (I know I did). God help those who didn't revise. Guess it was their own fault though.

At least you could scrape marks on the easier most recent papers, with this, I doubt you could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indian_Prince)
    im doing perception, agression and gender

feel free to ask any questions about any of them

Could you share any notes/ essays on the development of Perception please?

I'm doing those three two! ha thought I was the only one. How are you feeling about Prosopagnosia + Bruce and Young?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    Aggression - Group display as an adaptive response OR Neural and hormonal (would prefer neural and hormonal)

Eating behaviour - Evolutionary preferences to food OR Biological explanations of a disorder

Bio rhythms & Sleep - Nature of sleep OR/AND Consequences of disrupting rhythms (However, I have a feeling they may be mean and ask about a sleep disorder, jus' a gut feeling though)
    would they really do sleep disorders when there was a 25 marker on it last year? i haven't gone over it at all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Question.

In the syllabus for sleep, the nature of sleep and lifespan changes are separate, but in the Dog Psychology book they are together. Could they ask you the different aspects e.g. just nature of sleep? If so, what would the nature of sleep be? It appears I only have decent evaluation on lifespan changes.

Perhaps they'd ask a describe for 5 or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esachica)
    My teacher rang AQA in January and they said whatever we feel should go under there!? Which seems stupid. We settled for life-span, theories and even stages.
    wth! aha thanks for clearing that up

ReputationRep:
    Cross-cultural apparently, and perhaps Androgyny/Dysphoria....

Speaking of, does anyone know any evaluation for either of those? [Androgyny, etc] I'm talking about Green for Dysphoria, etc. I've just realised I've barely got any after doing a practice response.
    In cross cultural essay I focues on studies into different cultres like Mead, Chang et al (Leung and Moore study to support it) and Tager and Good (here I talk about how generalisations need to be made with caution cause there are differences within cultures as well) I can send you my essay if you want to?

Androgyny and gender dysphoria
    androgyny hypothesis, alternative view of developmental psychologists, contradictory findings of Zeldow who found that masculine traits indicate psychological health, not androgynous, feminist views on androgyny, studies on androgyny removed gender bias
    for gender dysporia i've outlined symptoms of GID, Drummond prospective and retrospective study, supported by Green, again concluding that gender identity is extremely complex and any of the explanations would be over-simplistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strawberrycayk)
    Could you share any notes/ essays on the development of Perception please?

I'm doing those three two! ha thought I was the only one. How are you feeling about Prosopagnosia + Bruce and Young?
    yup sure give me a couple of mins il type it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    Sorry to be quoting you again, I feel like a stalker! I assure you it's not that aha. Anyways, for neural you got Serotonin and Dopamine, for hormonal you got testosterone and cortisol, here's my essay plan if it comes up, for a fellow C student

Intro, explaining what Neurotransmitters and Hormones are

AO1 - Briefly state high serotonin = high aggression, back up with Mann et al (1990) and dexfenfluramine
    AO3 - - Used self report questionairres, very subjective and only had effect on males

AO2 - - Raliegh (1991) with the vervet monkeys and tryptophan
    AO3 - - animal studies not generalizable

AO2 - - Bond (2005) with antidepressants
    AO3 - - Clinical studies, have to question generalizability

AO1 - Briefly state how the dopamine link is not as well established, but Lavine (1997) found amphetamines increased dopamine, and also aggression, suggesting a link
    AO3 - - Correlational, does not show causality

AO2 - Alt approach - Couppis & Kennedy (2008) found dopamine activated a reward pathway in mice.
    AO3 - - Animal study

AO2 - - Meta analysis by Scerbo and Raine (1993) found strong evidence for serotonin, not so much dopamine

AO1 - Dabbs (1987) with the salivary testosterone in prisoners
    AO3 - - Just because they commited a violent crime, doesnt mean they're innatley violent
    AO1/2 - Winfield's Challenge hypothesis
    AO2 - - Strength being that it explains why research is incosistent

AO2 - - Albert (1993) criticises the research on testosterone for being all over the place
    AO2 - Alt approach - Mazur (1985) states the problem of distinguishing between dominance and aggression

AO1 - Cortisol having a mediating effect
    AO2 - - Mcburnett (2000) conducted a longitudinal study of school kids, and found those with low cortisol grew up to be less aggressive
    AO3 - They had behavioral problems

Synoptic points - Bio approach is reductionist, and determinist, Also most studies on testosterone were condicted on males.
    sorry to ask but what is Winfield's Challenge hypothesis?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me some synoptic points for evolutionary theory - like general evaluation stuff please? Thank youu

ReputationRep:
    goodddd lucckkk guyyysss!!!! stressed as you could see!!!

ReputationRep:
    So how many marks out of 25 do I need for an A in each essay? All year my teacher has been making it 20/25 which I've done once! If it is actually like that I'm truly screwed, I can't remember half of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safwaansh)
    sorry to ask but what is Winfield's Challenge hypothesis?
    Haha, don't be sorry to ask! It all helps me revise over stuff in my head

And good spot, there's a typo in my plan! It's Wingfield, but yeah, basically he said that in Monogamous species (Humans, apes etc.) testosterone will only ever rise over a baseline when being challenged, for instance for masculinity purposes, trying to win a sports contest etc.

This may explain why there is such inconsistent evidence in research regarding testosterone, because levels fluctuate.

Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    what's green? i've done the brain sex theory for dysphoria

evaluation for androgyny:
    - Bem 1976 found those that scored high on femininity and androgyny on the BSRI was able to deal with a baby crying and student sharing emotional problems (you could counter evaluate that in the fact that the findings are not surprising as the traits for femininity and androgyny include temderness)
    - BSRI lacks temporal validity
    - Archer said children need to establish their own gender identity before they can explore other facets such as androgyny
    - an IDA is real life applications

hope this helps
    That's great, thanks. I was mostly lacking in the Bem and his 'Sex Role Inventory'. And Green looked to see if Dysphoria had a genetic basis using 10 pairs such as twins, siblings, parent-child, etc. Finding a 7/10 concordance.

ReputationRep:
    would they really do sleep disorders when there was a 25 marker on it last year? i haven't gone over it at all.
    It wasnt a full 25 marker, and it was Jan 2010, a fairly long time ago... I dunna, just a gut feeling aha, gonna go over it to be safe

ReputationRep:
    People are predicting consequences of disrutpting Bio rhythms, is that jet lag and shift work? xxx

ReputationRep:
    And Green looked to see if Dysphoria had a genetic basis using 10 pairs such as twins, siblings, parent-child, etc. Finding a 7/10 concordance.
    REALLY? In my book it says that Green's study was on 44 boys with feminine traits and he followed them til they were 18 and only 1 in 44 requested a sex change, which suggested that early signs of gender dysphoria diminish over adolescence....

ReputationRep:
    Eating behaviour...

would it be sensible to say, Success/Failure in dieting might come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worthyg)
    In cross cultural essay I focues on studies into different cultres like Mead, Chang et al (Leung and Moore study to support it) and Tager and Good (here I talk about how generalisations need to be made with caution cause there are differences within cultures as well) I can send you my essay if you want to?

Androgyny and gender dysphoria
    androgyny hypothesis, alternative view of developmental psychologists, contradictory findings of Zeldow who found that masculine traits indicate psychological health, not androgynous, feminist views on androgyny, studies on androgyny removed gender bias
    for gender dysporia i've outlined symptoms of GID, Drummond prospective and retrospective study, supported by Green, again concluding that gender identity is extremely complex and any of the explanations would be over-simplistic
    Oh my gosh, if you wouldn't mind? That would be helpful as I seem to be lacking for Cross-cultural... significantly. Wow, I can tell you're on track for an A. :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.