Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deanplmr)
    I feel they will only be able to ask a 9 marker describing the nature of sleep. There's hardly anything about it that could get you AO2/AO3 marks
    What would you write about this please?
    The textbook does that and lifespan changes together. S:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strawberrycayk)
    Could you share any notes/ essays on the development of Perception please?

I'm doing those three two! ha thought I was the only one. How are you feeling about Prosopagnosia + Bruce and Young?
    ok here goes ( its just what i know and some notes so wont be the best, my english aint the best either since i didnt pay much attention in english classes so forgive me )

The development of perception begins from an early age. It has been suggested that we are born with certain innate abilities, such as depth perception. Depth perception allows us to interpret images in 3d, this is done by using cues such texture gradients, relative size and optic flow patterns. ( basicly like when you look further away things get less in detail, colour seems to change etc etc). Gibson and Walk investigated depth perception in babies. They did this by creating a visual "cliff", which was just a staged checkboard effect covered by a clear piece of protective glass. This gave a effect of a cliff, which would show if the baby was scared of falling which would indicate a sense of depth perception. 6 month old babies were used, they were put on one end and encouraged by there mothers to cross over. Most of the babies did not crawl over to the other side, which indicated that they did have depth perception. This would also suggest that depth perception was the result of nature rather than nurture since it was a innate ability that would most likely be present to prevent injuries and increase chances of survival. you can question the vlaidity of this study since the babies were already 6 months old and may have learnt/expierienced depth perception already, however a study by Campos has provided strength for GIbsons theory. Campos tested babies hwo could not yet crawl, he measured there heart rate on the same checkboard effect cliff drop, the heart rates of these babies increased aswell when they were put on the cliff drop, this shows that Gibson study does have some validity.

Newborn babies have very poor visual acuity ( what they see isnt very clear ) and so there perception of things is not accurate. They also have no colour vision for the first few weeks after birth. Binocular disparity and binocular vision (joining the two seperate pictures from both eyes into one single picture) is not present in babies until about 3-6months of age. the development of this occurs in the critical period. this was supported by Bank who studied adults who had a squint at birth, the people who got it treated within the first 30 months had good binocular disparity. The people who had it treated between 2 and 7 years of age and had it treated with in 3 years had a reasonable binocular disparity vision, however those that had squint diagnosed between 4 and 20 years and recieved surgery had little or no disparity vision.

Maturation is also another good point to go with it. Maurer studied infants who had been treated ofr cataracts. At first the visual acuity of these infants was the same as a newborn baby (really bad), but in an hour, there eysight had improved alot. ( i forgot how to link this in with the rest, maybe you can, i think it has something to do with how all the theorists say it can only develop at a early age and not after a certain point, however these were infants and there eyesight had improved a great amount )

well there is more i just need to find my notes! i aint done prospopagnosia yet im so behind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolly21)
    sleep disorder plans enjoy!
    hope they're okay. I've written essays with these and seemed to get good marks..

beware of copying it directly though
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    is it worth revising evolution of murder (aggression)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    Nahh mate, Jan 2011 was attitudes and neural mechanisms, I'll upload the paper again here

JANUARY 2011 PSYA3 PAPER ATTACHED
    Thank *GOD* you posted that!! I was going to leave out failure/success of dieting!
    Phewph, that could of ended badly...
    Also a pain, I was hoping influences of eating behaviour would come up...
    If the eating disorder comes up, I'm truly screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowlo18)
    Could someone help me with what to include in an essay on the nature of sleep?
    Sorry if its already been answered, but it will take quite a while to look through the whole thread!
    so for nature of sleep
    all you need to write about is the different sleep stages.
    Stages 1 & 2 - theta waves on the EEG, reduced brain activity, heart rate drops etc.
    Stages 3 & 4 - delta waves on EEG, metabolic rate is slowest, growth hormone produced
    REM sleep - 'paradoxical' sleep, rapid eye movement, body paralysis

you might then, dependent on how many marks it is want to explain the order of sleep patterns
    Dement and Kleitman - after falling through the stages of NREM (1,2,3,4) sleep would lighten and move back up to stage 2
    at this point, 75 minutes or so into sleep, the EEG becomes fast and desynchronised, similar to the pattern of the awake, aroused person (REM) - however the body loses muscle tone
    After 15 mins in REM, we move back into stage 2 REM and move down the stages into deep sleep stage 4 NREM. Then the process repeats itself, taking about 90 mins for a complete NREM/REM cycle
    Throughout the night, the SWS periods get shorter and the REM periods get longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safwaansh)
    is it worth revising evolution of murder (aggression)?
    yes because it might come up and you could always use it as AO2 comparisons for other stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizolove)
    Don't be fooled, AQA have had some horrid exams this summer. I'm sure they'll try and get us all back on this paper, it seems as if they don't want anyone to get into University. ¬¬
    this made me laugh

my exam today was surprising nice for OCR compared to AS. tomorrow is my first AQA exam :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizolove)
    What would you write about this please?
    The textbook does that and lifespan changes together. S:
    Maybe you could include lifespan changes? Some people have been saying you can.
    You should probably describe what happens at each stage of sleep 1-4, say a cycle lasts 90 mins, REM sleep follows and this is where dreaming occurs. That along with maybe just saying babies sleep much longer, older people sleep less etc should be enough to get you 9 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cor_fortis)
    yes because it might come up and you could always use it as AO2 comparisons for other stuff
    comparisons to what? never occurred to me that i could use it for other stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammie276)
    If anyone needs any help with gender I am willing to explain, it helps me revise the topic as well.
    cool what do you reckon will actually come up? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worthyg)
    This is great! Thank you!
    you're welcome. i hope you find it useful!

ReputationRep:
    Im doing those topics too; Sleep, Eating and Relationships...

Are you gonna revise stuff if it came up last year? I'm so tempted not to... Seems like such a waste of time but AQA can be unpredictable...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolly21)
    for ANYONE who needs a disruption of biological rhythms plan

this is the question that lots of people are predicting will come up.. it may not obviously, its unpredictable but i've revised it quite well....

i've attached one.. supposedly 9 marks A01 (maybe a bit more?) and 16 marks AO2
    let me know if you have any feedback. hope it helps.
    also, if you can't open it let me know again
    What happened to my quote D: aha, cheers for posting this! Just a quickie, would you structure it by doing all AO1 then all AO2? Or do for example, jet lag AO1, then jet lag AO2, shift work AO1 followed by shift work AO2, then general IDA and synoptic points? jus' curious :rolleyes:

Thank you again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamcol123)
    Sorry to be quoting you again, I feel like a stalker! I assure you it's not that aha. Anyways, for neural you got Serotonin and Dopamine, for hormonal you got testosterone and cortisol, here's my essay plan if it comes up, for a fellow C student

Intro, explaining what Neurotransmitters and Hormones are

AO1 - Briefly state high serotonin = high aggression, back up with Mann et al (1990) and dexfenfluramine
    AO3 - - Used self report questionairres, very subjective and only had effect on males

AO2 - - Raliegh (1991) with the vervet monkeys and tryptophan
    AO3 - - animal studies not generalizable

AO2 - - Bond (2005) with antidepressants
    AO3 - - Clinical studies, have to question generalizability

AO1 - Briefly state how the dopamine link is not as well established, but Lavine (1997) found amphetamines increased dopamine, and also aggression, suggesting a link
    AO3 - - Correlational, does not show causality

AO2 - Alt approach - Couppis & Kennedy (2008) found dopamine activated a reward pathway in mice.
    AO3 - - Animal study

AO2 - - Meta analysis by Scerbo and Raine (1993) found strong evidence for serotonin, not so much dopamine

AO1 - Dabbs (1987) with the salivary testosterone in prisoners
    AO3 - - Just because they commited a violent crime, doesnt mean they're innatley violent
    AO1/2 - Winfield's Challenge hypothesis
    AO2 - - Strength being that it explains why research is incosistent

AO2 - - Albert (1993) criticises the research on testosterone for being all over the place
    AO2 - Alt approach - Mazur (1985) states the problem of distinguishing between dominance and aggression

AO1 - Cortisol having a mediating effect
    AO2 - - Mcburnett (2000) conducted a longitudinal study of school kids, and found those with low cortisol grew up to be less aggressive
    AO3 - They had behavioral problems

Synoptic points - Bio approach is reductionist, and determinist, Also most studies on testosterone were condicted on males.
    um isnt it high serotonin = LOW aggression?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieeJane)
    cool what do you reckon will actually come up? xx
    I actually don't know TBH I just revise everything. However people have been saying Androgyny and Dysphoria are top contenders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safwaansh)
    comparisons to what? never occurred to me that i could use it for other stuff
    You could use it as an alternative perspective of something like deindividuation. e.g. an evolutionary approach to aggression would be in the context of deindividuation.....blah blah blah. Some psychologists would argue that a loss of identity and crowding theory are too reductionistic to fully explain violence in men. A more holistic or interactionist approach would be to consider gene-environment interaction or the evolutionary approach to male on male homocide and uroxide...(explain cuckoldry, control techniques, lack of resources etc...)

ReputationRep:
    Please please pleaseee does anyone have any notes or essay q's on Relationships - Sexual selection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darylpoon12)
    um isnt it high serotonin = LOW aggression?
    Oh christ, yeah it is, Sorrrryyyyyy! It was late when I wrote this aha, I seem to be confusing more people here than I'm helping, Im'a just watch from now on

Cheers for spotting that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammie276)
    I actually don't know TBH I just revise everything. However people have been saying Androgyny and Dysphoria are top contenders.
    mehh not strong on them haha oh well, good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2012
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.