Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Pleaaase somebody tell me whats the most likely thing to come up for the perception section... AHHHHH! I do not have time to go over it all again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Yeah that!

Oh thank God! I'm praying for evolutionary, but I've a feeling it's cross cultural.
    I really hope the questions are good... January's paper (or at least, the marking) was ridiculous and I NEED my C

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any quick notes on Gender Dysphoria/ Androgyny as well as Cross Cultural ? I am freaking out so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahNicole)
    Does anyone have any quick notes on Gender Dysphoria/ Androgyny as well as Cross Cultural ? I am freaking out so much!
    I don't have much, but here you are:

Gender dysphoria
    - biologically one gender, psychologically the other. May feel they're 'trapped' in wrong body.
    - e.g. boys might want to wear female clothes and have a baby.

- could be caused by parental psychiatric problems or absent fathers?
    - REKERS and KILGUS (1997) studied families of those with GD and found that 80& had mothers with mental health problems; 45% had fathers with mental health problems; 37% had absent fathers or no male role model.

- not all children with absent fathers/parental mental health problems develop GD. Must be other explanations.
    - possible cause/effect - stress of child with GD causes mental health problems in parents?

Cross cultural
    - WHITING and EDWARDS (88) looked at USA, Mexico, Japan, India, Kenya, Phillipines.
    - found similarities to Western stereotypes, clear differences between male/female behaviour, e.g. girls looked after siblings & domestic work, boys looked after animals, etc.

....Doing this made me realise I have awful notes. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyhannahh)
    for relationships can someone pleaseeeee outline the sexual selection strategies and the human reproductive behaviour as i really think this is going to come up and still don't know it
    Strategies?

Sexual selection: certain characteristics passed down through evolution that have no survival purpose but aid in attracting members of the opposite sex like the peacock and its feathers or ron jeremy and his penis.

Types of Sexual Selection:

-Intrasexual selection: Members of same sex fight for right to mate with other sex
    -Intersexual: member of one sex chooses partner on basis of preference.

Origins of mate choice apparently were formed in this magical time of the EEA which is just a lazy way of evolutionists of creating a half assed theory with little elaboration, and its good to be picky because the partner you get lumbered with will provide half of your offsprings genes.

**** like Neophilia, facial characteristics etc etc are all indicators of health and **** and so are examples of sexual preferences. You have that study by Buss which highlighted the universal characteristics of many preferences in many cultures though the sampling methods varied greatly.

Mating Differences: Men like to get their end away a lot because the more women we impregnate the higher our reproductive success is (really? think of all the child maintenance we would have to pay) where as for women, they have to invest a lot of energy in carrying the child, rearing the child and then have to go through the **** storm that is weaning so it is a lot more of investment for them. Clarke and Hatfields study where some guy went around uni asking the women to sleep with him and vica versa showed that men are a lot more willing to sleep with whoever than women are, link to idea that they are more choosy to mates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    I don't have much, but here you are:

Gender dysphoria
    - biologically one gender, psychologically the other. May feel they're 'trapped' in wrong body.
    - e.g. boys might want to wear female clothes and have a baby.

- could be caused by parental psychiatric problems or absent fathers?
    - REKERS and KILGUS (1997) studied families of those with GD and found that 80& had mothers with mental health problems; 45% had fathers with mental health problems; 37% had absent fathers or no male role model.

- not all children with absent fathers/parental mental health problems develop GD. Must be other explanations.
    - possible cause/effect - stress of child with GD causes mental health problems in parents?

You are my lifesaver, iv'e got notes on aggression and eating but gender is totally lost on me! thank you x
    Cross cultural
    - WHITING and EDWARDS (88) looked at USA, Mexico, Japan, India, Kenya, Phillipines.
    - found similarities to Western stereotypes, clear differences between male/female behaviour, e.g. girls looked after siblings & domestic work, boys looked after animals, etc.

....Doing this made me realise I have awful notes. Oh dear.
    Omg you are my lifesaver, i have notes on aggression and eating behaviours but Gender is completely lost on me! Thank you so much x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahNicole)
    Omg you are my lifesaver, i have notes on aggression and eating behaviours but Gender is completely lost on me! Thank you so much x
    You're welcome babe, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even stressed about this exam anymore, I've done everything I could in this time limit (I had exam yesterday) and now I only hope I will remember stuff as well as I remember them in my room haha Good luck everyone, not long to go, I've still got one hour to recap some criticisms and then I'm getting a bus to college

ReputationRep:
    What are the questions of sleep most likely to ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpenHorizons)
    someone said nature of sleep and disruption. x

ReputationRep:
    For sleep I'm thinking nature of sleep + insomnia.
    For bio rhythms disruption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkajanik)
    For sleep I'm thinking nature of sleep + insomnia.
    For bio rhythms disruption.
    So for the nature of sleep would i write about the stages and maybe explanations for it?

ReputationRep:
    So for the nature of sleep would i write about the stages and maybe explanations for it?
    I think that they won't give us a 25 marker on nature of sleep, mainly because there isn't anywhere nearly as much evaluation as we need. So a question that could come up in my opinion is something like 'outline the nature of sleep' for few A01 marks, and you would write about different stages and difference between SWS and REM, and then give us something on factors influencing insomnia for couple A01 and the rest of A02/3 marks. Some people think they might do that, but make the second part on disrupting bio rhythms...

ReputationRep:
    For biological rhythms - the nature of sleep what would you include? The restoration/evolutionary advantages or the types of sleep. HELP

ReputationRep:
    also for disrupting biological rhythms that's mainly jet lag and shift work yeah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkajanik)
    I think that they won't give us a 25 marker on nature of sleep, mainly because there isn't anywhere nearly as much evaluation as we need. So a question that could come up in my opinion is something like 'outline the nature of sleep' for few A01 marks, and you would write about different stages and difference between SWS and REM, and then give us something on factors influencing insomnia for couple A01 and the rest of A02/3 marks. Some people think they might do that, but make the second part on disrupting bio rhythms...
    i hope its nature of sleep+disruption

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt00)
    also for disrupting biological rhythms that's mainly jet lag and shift work yeah?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    I feel soooo **** right now! Too much content, i'm going to fail

ReputationRep:
    I think iv'e just decided that, if i don't know it by now, then there's no point in worrying. Going to try my best and that's all i could hope for!

Good luck everyone! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akjhl)
    what else can i say for the breakdown of relationships other than duck's model?? we have only done one....and im so screwed if a 25 marker comes up on it!
    You can also refer to Walster et al's equity theory.

He claims, the equity theory suggests indivduals in a romantic relationship expect rewards proportional to what they give to their partner. If there are any imbalances, the partners may discuss this and accept the situation. However, a inequitable relationship causes distress especially for the disadvantaged person, therefore the person at the disadvantage will be motivated to restore the balance, however if all else fails, it may result in the dissolution of the relationship.

Evaluation: this theory is more plausible than theories such as the social exchange theory, as it does not only take account of the individual, but the partner aswel. This theory can be applied to friendships as well as relationships unlike the social exchange theory, however, it mainly applies to romantic relationships as they are exclusive in a way friendships are not. However, it still assumes individual's are fundamentally selfish although researchers like to believe those in a relationship are concerned with an equitable distribution of rewards and costs for both their partner and themselves.Furthermore, this theory is reductionist as it reduces maintenance/breakdown on the basis of equity and ignores diverse and complex reasons (i.e. partner develops terminal illness).

As long as you always refer back to the 'breakdown' of a relationship, this will earn you good marks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.