Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt00)
    For biological rhythms - the nature of sleep what would you include? The restoration/evolutionary advantages or the types of sleep. HELP
    I think there's a common misunderstanding between nature of sleep and functions of sleep (mainly because it's not that well explained in the texbook). According to the spec, the NATURE and FUNCTIONS of sleep are 2 different things. So yeah, nature would be diff. stages and difference between SWS and REM, whereas functions are the restoration theories and evo expl.

Here's the spec:

Biological rhythms and sleep
    Biological rhythms
    • Circadian, infradian, and ultradian rhythms, including the role of endogenous pacemakers and of exogenous zeitgebers
    • Consequences of disrupting biological rhythms, for example shift work, jet lag

Sleep states
    • The nature of sleep
    • Functions of sleep, including evolutionary explanations and restoration theory
    • Lifespan changes in sleep

Disorders of sleep
    • Explanations for insomnia, including primary and secondary insomnia and factors influencing insomnia, for example, apnoea, personality
    • Explanations for other sleep disorders, including sleep walking and narcolepsy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentFDot)
    You can also refer to Walster et al's equity theory.

He claims, the equity theory suggests indivduals in a romantic relationship expect rewards proportional to what they give to their partner. If there are any imbalances, the partners may discuss this and accept the situation. However, a inequitable relationship causes distress especially for the disadvantaged person, therefore the person at the disadvantage will be motivated to restore the balance, however if all else fails, it may result in the dissolution of the relationship.

Evaluation: this theory is more plausible than theories such as the social exchange theory, as it does not only take account of the individual, but the partner aswel. This theory can be applied to friendships as well as relationships unlike the social exchange theory, however, it mainly applies to romantic relationships as they are exclusive in a way friendships are not. However, it still assumes individual's are fundamentally selfish although researchers like to believe those in a relationship are concerned with an equitable distribution of rewards and costs for both their partner and themselves.Furthermore, this theory is reductionist as it reduces maintenance/breakdown on the basis of equity and ignores diverse and complex reasons (i.e. partner develops terminal illness).

As long as you always refer back to the 'breakdown' of a relationship, this will earn you good marks!
    thank you so much! panic over....well only slightly :/

ReputationRep:
    Right. I have put my books away, what hasn't gone in now will go in during the 5minute panic revision before the exam.

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY! x

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, can we use smith-magenis syndrome as A02 for shift lag? x

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm gonna catch a bus now. Good luck everyone, hopefully we get the predicted questions and everyone will be happy Talk to you later! ^^

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaving now... Good luck!

Alternately, hope we all fail so the grade boundaries are low.... (just kidding.)

ReputationRep:
    ok time to go to college! good luck everyone. lets hope AQA don't pull a fast one on us

ReputationRep:
    How much on average should we be writing per 25 marker?

ReputationRep:
    So... HOW DID YOU ALL FIND IT?

I have to say it was one of the best exams I've taken. Pretty much ALL the predictions were right and I feel pretty good about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehhhx)

I have to say it was one of the best exams I've taken. Pretty much ALL the predictions were right and I feel pretty good about it.
    It was okay. I did Aggression, Perception and Eating Behaviour. They weren't the nicest questions but I had plenty of stuff to talk about on each one. I suck at writing essays under pressure though, end up going through reams and reams of content with superficial analysis. I expect a B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TGBuble)
    Yeah thats what its all about
    and theres Brain Size as well, if you did that?
    i think we did errm... Brain Size, Ecology Theory and Social Theory for Evolution of Intelligence

How screwed are you if Psychometric or Information Processiong Theories come up!?!
    Aha near perfect essay questions!! would've preferred sexual selection for relationships but other than that...not too shabby how'd you find it?

ReputationRep:

Ditto!

ReputationRep:

This exam was ****ing FANTASTIC, my predictions were 100% right, I knew that nature of sleep will come up and I had a feeling neither maintenance nor dissolution will.
    I wrote 10 pages (normal sized writing!) and bombarded them with studies, I am so happy right now

ReputationRep:
    I spent sooo much time on bio rhythms!! Kinda had to rush eating and relationships .

How did anyone else doing those topics find it??

ReputationRep:
    I did bio rhythms, relationships and aggression and loved it to be honest We predicted the questions pretty well

ReputationRep:
    Oh forgot to say I thought the paper was alright I found it much better than when I sat the paper in jan2010.

Didn't put as much evaluation points as what i wished

Good luck everyone with the results!!

ReputationRep:
    Was a good paper! Although aggression lacked studies as we did bio as a whole so looked at genetics through twins and adoption too and didnt focus on hormones etc as much as we probably should have done :/ But I feel my evaluation was still okay!
    Perception and Gender were 100% as predicted. Loved it

ReputationRep:
    I found it alright! And the predicted questions! Although I miss out some of the A03, overall its a nice paper C:

ReputationRep:
    I think eating behaviours was my best section, quickly glanced at psych exp for Anorexia before the exam, so kinda chuffed about that - free 5 marks there. And evo preferences is just a good essay in general to memorise...talked about associative learning and non-falsifiability for IDA

For relationships and aggression looking back I think I lacked quite a bit of Ao1 and I was too busy writing about studies and IDA points....

Hopefully everyone gets the grades they want!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats everyone. And thank you very much indeed to the people in this thread, who without I wouldn't have known the predictions. Glad most of you liked it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2012

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.