Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and am looking for Universities to go to in 2012. I want to do a Creative Writing course and some of the Prospectus' I've looked in say that I need a Creative Writing Portfolio.

I want to start building that now and I'm unsure what to put in it.

Can I include essays that I've written for my English Literature Course Work or does it have to be more fictional work? Also, does it have to be my own style or can I include pieces that I've written in the style of certain Authors that I've studied?

Thanks for all your help

ReputationRep:
    Essays aren't suitable, they will want to see poems, scripts or fiction - whether it's a short story of an extract from something longer. They will normally ask you to send a certain amount of pages- 12ish for most of the places I applied. I would think you could technically use pieces you have written in the style of an author- but personally I would prefer to submit something original. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Creative writing.
    Poems, prose, scripts, chapters of novels... basically whatever you write as long as it's creative and interesting. Essays are far too academic for a creative writing portfolio.
    Definately use pieces that are your own style, it's good to take inspiration from other authors but not at the expense of your own writing style. By all means, include a piece or two but personally, I think you could just explain where you get your inspiration from when you're providing the context in your portfolio and have the same effect. I wouldn't want to submit pieces written in the style of someone else tbh, it's your writing they want to see.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 28, 2011

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.