Turn on thread page Beta

Early twenties and feel as though I haven't lived my life watch

Please keep anonymous or delete.

Simple question. Is it sad that I am in my early twenties and going back into full time education and I feel as though I haven't even really lived my life yet? I've been financially struggling most of it and been unemployed many times, as well as troubled relationships with my family. I come from a poor background but I am not using that as a blanket excuse.

Since I was 17 I have had a long time girlfriend and I've rented 2 houses, went on holiday etc, went backpacking in the UK. Despite that I can't help feeling like I have wasted the best part of my youth doing nothing mind expanding or exciting. I have never even been to a music festival or seen a live music performance, or been to the theatre, or been to ANY of the cities in the UK apart from Leeds. I thought at this age I thought I would have had so many more experiences.

Or am I viewing it wrong and thinking that I am old before my time and I should just embrace the future and be grateful for the experiences that I have had? Does anyone else reflect on their life so far and feel a bit disappointed? Or are you proud of what you have achieved?

ReputationRep:
    Cut yourself some slack lol im 30 and gone back to part time education, ive come along way and i still feel that i have a long way to go, you dont need to feel disappointed at all, how many 17yr olds can ghold a lasting relationship, and also able to responsibly rent and keep up with all bills? when i was 17 i was some hot headed idiot who thought the world owes me something, i woke up most mornings or late mornings getting high and easy money (not legal may i add)

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and I haven't rented a house or gone backpacking anywhere, you've done more than me!

Cheer up fella!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Simple question. Is it sad that I am in my early twenties and going back into full time education and I feel as though I haven't even really lived my life yet? I've been financially struggling most of it and been unemployed many times, as well as troubled relationships with my family. I come from a poor background but I am not using that as a blanket excuse.

Since I was 17 I have had a long time girlfriend and I've rented 2 houses, went on holiday etc, went backpacking in the UK. Despite that I can't help feeling like I have wasted the best part of my youth doing nothing mind expanding or exciting. I have never even been to a music festival or seen a live music performance, or been to the theatre, or been to ANY of the cities in the UK apart from Leeds. I thought at this age I thought I would have had so many more experiences.

Or am I viewing it wrong and thinking that I am old before my time and I should just embrace the future and be grateful for the experiences that I have had? Does anyone else reflect on their life so far and feel a bit disappointed? Or are you proud of what you have achieved?

You're not too old to do this stuff now, go visit some other cities, go to the theatre, and festivals aren't far away now go to one of them

ReputationRep:
    What's stopping you from going to the threatre or going to a music festival? Save up and go, you don't have to put a by gone date on experiences, of course you haven't lived your life anyway, your only in your early 20's, I'd be expecting someone in their 50's to say something like this. What wrong with you heading to another city for a weekend, jump on a national express coach somewhere for a few quid. Make more experiences.

ReputationRep:

Why dont you search for jobs in bars or something in another European country and use that as a base to explore the rest of it. I met someone who had been travelling for 6 years and basically been working cash in hand all over the world. It isnt a stable life but then again I doubt a stable life can be limiting in as far as mind expanding experiences go?

ReputationRep:

I'm 19 and tbh, you've done more than I have.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.