Which political party is best for students? Watch

This discussion is closed.
crazylady
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Do you think that either the tories or the lib dems would be better for us students or do you think that new labour is still best despite their recent decision?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by crazylady)
Do you think that either the tories or the lib dems would be better for us students or do you think that new labour is still best despite their recent decision?
I don't feel I know enough about politics to answer this but clearly long term Labour is not going to be good for students because of plans devalue the degree by introducing the foundation degree. I think it will mean graduates will have to start putting BSc (Hons) after their names.

The top up fees are not a bad idea but it was poorly executed and middle england (most of the voters) will be against it. My parents are really annoyed by it because she says if me and my sister went to uni she would not be happy about us getting into £20k of debt no matter how easy it is to pay off.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I think it will mean graduates will have to start putting BSc (Hons) after their names.
Most do already - and foundation graduates will only be allowed to put FDSc (or FDA) after their name.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Most do already - and foundation graduates will only be allowed to put FDSc (or FDA) after their name.

Can I ask if anyone knows what you need to do to get the (Hons) after the BSc? I'm doing an unclassified degree but wanted to do a year out for another one the year after next, it's been puzzling me for a while
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Can I ask if anyone knows what you need to do to get the (Hons) after the BSc? I'm doing an unclassified degree but wanted to do a year out for another one the year after next, it's been puzzling me for a while
I was believed to get the honours you need to get a 2:2 or higher and do some kind of major project i.e dissertation. You may be able to go straight into the second year on some courses but I am not sure. I thought virtualy all degrees were honours now anyway?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was believed to get the honours you need to get a 2:2 or higher and do some kind of major project i.e dissertation. You may be able to go straight into the second year on some courses but I am not sure. I thought virtualy all degrees were honours now anyway?
Ah thank you! I was under the strange impression you needed a 1st or 2.1 to get hons!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hons usually refers to a dissertation or project that was of a certain standard (anywhere from exceptional to a pass) and constituted a certain proportion of the final mark. It's not a regulated term however (unlike the BSc and BA which are monitored) and almost any uni can decide to hand it out.

The only person I know who isn't entitled to use the Hons is my sister who got a pass overall on her degree (between a 3rd and a fail) and who technically failed her dissertation (she just scored better on her other exams/modules).

Personally I think it's pretty worthless...anyone who is a potential employer will know your degee classification (which matters more) and anyone else is just a friend or colleague (and if you're trying to impress people like that you need to boost your self confidence a lot)

I never even use the BSc thing apart from on CVs.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ah thank you! I was under the strange impression you needed a 1st or 2.1 to get hons!
I'm pretty sure it is just a 2:2 but 2:1 is like that majic grade people want you to have. I know people with a 2:1 with hunours don't know anybody that has got a 2:2. I know for a fact if you just get a pass you don't get honoured.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hons usually refers to a dissertation or project that was of a certain standard (anywhere from exceptional to a pass) and constituted a certain proportion of the final mark. It's not a regulated term however (unlike the BSc and BA which are monitored) and almost any uni can decide to hand it out.

The only person I know who isn't entitled to use the Hons is my sister who got a pass overall on her degree (between a 3rd and a fail) and who technically failed her dissertation (she just scored better on her other exams/modules).

Personally I think it's pretty worthless...anyone who is a potential employer will know your degee classification (which matters more) and anyone else is just a friend or colleague (and if you're trying to impress people like that you need to boost your self confidence a lot)

You mean you weren't tempted to put Pencil Queen BSc on your username? I know what you mean, it gets on my nerves when they write a BA etc. at the end of the names of credits on TV shows.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

So basicaly you can get a third class but still get the honours? So you could get 45% overall and 40% on your final year project and still get honoured? Also don't you have go get the honours to go to the graduation ceromony?(sp)
pkonline
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Haven't times changed when the Tories think its a good result to lose by only a few votes, even with sly tactics and being opportunistic lol .

Labour are the best for student because they are the only party who understand universities and have found a good balance in funding them. All those anti-top up fees thinking the Tories are great should note that if you think fees will detere student then imagine if the Toru alternative of cutting 100,000 places was done (altho I hear they're scrapping this now that they have lost). Or maybe the Liberals who can't add up let alone run a country .
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You mean you weren't tempted to put Pencil Queen BSc on your username? I know what you mean, it gets on my nerves when they write a BA etc. at the end of the names of credits on TV shows.
Lol I've seen this in standard letters were a stranger signs it BA (hons) and I'm like wtf! why do I need to know you have a fecking degree! The only times I will use it is either on business plans, letters (asking for investment) or in my CV.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm pretty sure it is just a 2:2 but 2:1 is like that majic grade people want you to have. I know people with a 2:1 with hunours don't know anybody that has got a 2:2. I know for a fact if you just get a pass you don't get honoured.
So basically not worth the (Hons) at the end of the degree! hmmm..a group of prospective students have just spotted me through my window on a tour, well I could show them the wonders of daytime TV if they wish to come in lol.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
Haven't times changed when the Tories think its a good result to lose by only a few votes, even with sly tactics and being opportunistic lol .

Labour are the best for student because they are the only party who understand universities and have found a good balance in funding them. All those anti-top up fees thinking the Tories are great should note that if you think fees will detere student then imagine if the Toru alternative of cutting 100,000 places was done (altho I hear they're scrapping this now that they have lost). Or maybe the Liberals who can't add up let alone run a country .
This thread is keeping me too busy! I know the tories were not good for my university as they cut back a load of funding so my uni nearly went bust in the early 1980's. I have no idea what this was about though, Apparantly Cardiff suffered from the same thing.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So basicaly you can get a third class but still get the honours? So you could get 45% overall and 40% on your final year project and still get honoured? Also don't you have go get the honours to go to the graduation ceromony?(sp)
yeah i think a degree 1st to 3rd is honours and after that you get a pass degree but no hons
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
yeah i think a degree 1st to 3rd is honours and after that you get a pass degree but no hons
Hmm, ok, so I will no longer be impressed when I see (Hons) at the end of someones name!
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
i just looked it in my boring faculty handbook (something that i havn't even opened yet) and yep honours is given to everyone with a 3rd to a first.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey dont kock Desmond Tutu's.

Sorry.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Hey dont kock Desmond Tutu's.

Sorry.
eh?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
eh?
Oh dear god. Desmond 2:2
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (228)
61.29%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.3%
No- I want it (103)
27.69%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.72%

Watched Threads