Turn on thread page Beta

Insurance - Stop being lazy and you wont get ripped off. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    The point of this thread is not to boast about how low his insurance is, it is to show that if you actually ring up insurance companies and speak to a person rather than simply using a comparison site you can usually pick up much better offers than you get through comparison sites.

Obviously your insurance will be higher than his because you're younger, with very little, or possibly zero, no claims bonus, but that isn't the point of this thread.

I agree 100% with the OP that the best way of getting a good price on insurance is to ring the insurers and speak to a person on the phone.

When I was getting quotes on my new current motorbike my best offer from online quotes was around £1500 TPF&T, so I made a list of bike only insurers and spent an afternoon ringing around. After a couple of hours I had found a quote for the following:

£500 TPF&T
    £175 excess
    Unlimited mileage
    TP insurance to ride any bike
    Keycare & helmet & leathers cover included (essentially if I lose my keys or trash my helmet & leathers then they are insured up to the value of £1000 each)

*EDIT* Also, I'm technically a very high risk person to insure, I've got 3 points, 2 claims in the past 2 years and 0 years no claims bonus.

That quote beat every single quote I had received online in every possible way and I only got it because I got off my arse and put in the effort to ring around the insurance companies.

So, how about you get off your ****ing high horse and actually take the time to read & understand the OP's post before you go straight to abusing him for trying to be helpful and maybe stop people constantly coming on here to whinge that they can't find any half decent insurance quotes you dumb ****ing *****.
    ha.
    sure, calling insurers direct is cheaper than using sites - it's how i hunt for insurance - but if every 17/18 year old who posts was to call insurers up they still wouldn't get quotes of £200 like op.

perhaps he would have said just this instead of bragging about £462 being 'too much', then this would have seemed more like good advice, and less like some kind of a vanity project.

d*ckhead.

(Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    ha.
    sure, calling insurers direct is cheaper than using sites - it's how i hunt for insurance - but if every 17/18 year old who posts was to call insurers up they still wouldn't get quotes of £200 like op.

perhaps he would have said just this instead of bragging about £462 being 'too much', then this would have seemed more like good advice, and less like some kind of a vanity project.

d*ckhead.
    Translation: you've completely missed the point of the thread and the multiple explanations for the point of this thread. GG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Translation: you've completely missed the point of the thread and the multiple explanations for the point of this thread. GG.
    repsonse: how about you + the other ****** crawl out of op's ass now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Heavy rain is no problem, most motorbike clothing is waterproof, you've just got to be more careful on the corners.

As for snow, even driving in the snow isn't fun! All you do is leave the bike in the garage and get the bus, or simply call work/college and say you're stuck at home because of the weather!
    Get a car with the drive wheels at the right end of the car and driving in the snow and ice gets massively more fun. I think I spent more time going sideways than in a straight line this Christmas

Another vote for phoning around here. Paying £600/year on my Moggy, albeit a classic (which shouldn't put people off really, classics are far more fun than modern motors in terms of value (and smiles) for money).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plastercaster)
    When I was looking for a cheap car to insure, aged 18, I got a quote of £1300 for a 1987 bmw 535i. That's a 140 mph car! (when new, admittedly)

Likewise I've had pretty cheap offers for 2.3 turbo saabs and old volkswagens- The lesson is don't just buy a 1.1 saxo just because of the tiny engines. Try getting quotes for a car that doesn't get crashed very often; I imagine 90s rovers are also pretty cheap.

Finally, minimum quotes can quadruple then crash again over the course of a week - I've had quotes of £1k one week then £6k next week then £1.5k the next- I'm guessing it's because competition undercutting algorithms driving the price right down then getting periodically reset to astronomical prices.
    True. I am 25 now and after passing into my 4th year of med school, I am looking to buy a civic type r. Insurance quotes look about £700 with 5NCB. My first ever quote was £1300 aged 20, mind you it was a 1.4 golf.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody could find insurance for me cheaply, not where I live anyway.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm interested in doing this but as a girl with a severe hearing impairment, ringing around isn't really an option for me :tongue: any suggestions?! Not sure it'd look good if I got a parent to ring on my behalf, ha

(Original post by inksplodge)
    I'm interested in doing this but as a girl with a severe hearing impairment, ringing around isn't really an option for me :tongue: any suggestions?! Not sure it'd look good if I got a parent to ring on my behalf, ha
    Rubbish, they'll understand.

ReputationRep:
    I got insured on my Corsa 3 days after I passed (17 y.o) and the cheapest price on price comparison websites was £3300.

I phoned up Tesco with all details of what my dad and I had written and they quoted me £2700

Then phoned up Admiral and said Tesco quoted me £2700 and got it down to £2400 and then we left it at that.

Thats an 04 Corsa, 1.2l for a lot less than people on here are paying for insurance and I'd only passed for 3 days.

JC is correct with the effort people aren't making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Whist the average person on here isn't going to get anything close to what I've found because of the type of policy
    Thats what all good salesman tell their customers :mmm:

edit: i drive this for a mere 70 english pounds a year. the balls in your court now sir

and yes that is the amg model.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by FXX)
    Rubbish, they'll understand.
    Oh good :awesome:. I've always been under the impression you look silly if parent rings up on behalf. I know my bank doesn't take to it kindly.

(Original post by inksplodge)
    Oh good :awesome:. I've always been under the impression you look silly if parent rings up on behalf. I know my bank doesn't take to it kindly.
    They'll need you to confirm who you are and that you're happy for the funds to be withdrawn but otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you though? Its still expensive for young drivers.

ReputationRep:
    It seems there are a number of folk who have totally missed the point of the thread.
    Don't focus on *MY* details.
    My age / type of car I drive / prices quoted are TOTALLY irrelevent.

The best quote I got looking online was just over 400 notes. The best price I got by picking up the phone was near as makes no difference 150 quid.
    The point of the matter is simply this; by picking up the phone I got a quote that was some 260% cheaper than the online quote. Factor out my age and the car and the results would be exactly the same with different numbers.

When I was 17 my insurance was £760 yet most of my friends were paying ITRO £2k. Why? They couldn't be arsed to pick up the phone either.

Note it's mostly the same people whinging that they can't get cheap car insurance are the ones who have said this is a pointless thread. Can't help those that don't want to be helped, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    ha.

d*ckhead.
    £462 IS far too much for someone my age.
    The point which you are obviously too thick to grasp is that by phoning around rather than trying to live your life through the internet like a lazy ******* gives better results.
    The actual cost to me in sterling vs a newly qualified driver is IRRELEVENT. It's about demonstrating the ratio of price you are given over the internet vs picking up the phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)
    I agree with you about how if you spend time looking you really can get a good deal instead of settling for something that is really expensive.

For example im getting a new car in a few months and the cheapest fully comp insurance is £620 and im 18 years old, that it a fantastic price in my opinion. The most expensive was £12k and the majority of prices in between were at least £1.2k - £4k so yes if you shop around you will get a good deal.

But the way you are boasting about how you have owned more cars than most people will in a lifetime only says one thing = Prick!!
    Does it?
    If instead of trading cars I was a dairy farmer and posted up in the pets section that I've probably owned more cows than anyone else in that section, would that make me a prick too?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    £462 IS far too much for someone my age.
    The point which you are obviously too thick to grasp is that by phoning around rather than trying to live your life through the internet like a lazy ******* gives better results.
    The actual cost to me in sterling vs a newly qualified driver is IRRELEVENT. It's about demonstrating the ratio of price you are given over the internet vs picking up the phone.

Sorry to step in here, but that is bull****. Internet or phone, there is no hard written rule which one is cheaper. I have done both in the past. When you were a teen maybe the net wasn't that big, so phone deals were more common. Now it is more or less the same.

You're chatting ****. This is a pointless thread, there have been better ones advising young people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    Sorry to step in here, but that is bull****. Internet or phone, there is no hard written rule which one is cheaper. I have done both in the past. When you were a teen maybe the net wasn't that big, so phone deals were more common. Now it is more or less the same.

You're chatting ****. This is a pointless thread, there have been better ones advising young people.
    The facts and figures don't lie.
    I'm sure you know best, though... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    It seems there are a number of folk who have totally missed the point of the thread.
    Don't focus on *MY* details.
    My age / type of car I drive / prices quoted are TOTALLY irrelevent.

The best quote I got looking online was just over 400 notes. The best price I got by picking up the phone was near as makes no difference 150 quid.
    The point of the matter is simply this; by picking up the phone I got a quote that was some 260% cheaper than the online quote. Factor out my age and the car and the results would be exactly the same with different numbers.

When I was 17 my insurance was £760 yet most of my friends were paying ITRO £2k. Why? They couldn't be arsed to pick up the phone either.

Note it's mostly the same people whinging that they can't get cheap car insurance are the ones who have said this is a pointless thread. Can't help those that don't want to be helped, eh?
    I picked up the phone. They wanted £10000. Game over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Whist the average person on here isn't going to get anything close to what I've found because of the type of policy, there is no reason why anyone should be paying over a grand on a hatchback.
    Make it two grand and I agree with you - but there is no way on earth that a 17 year old is going to get insured on any car for under a grand (unless they are prepared to front, or their parents have company/fleet insurance).

Personally I found that picking up the phone had little impact on/increased prices - and I got the impression that the people on the phone were basically just filling in the same form you do on the internet (except NFU).

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.