Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Insurance - Stop being lazy and you wont get ripped off. Watch

ReputationRep:
    out of interest, im 25, have failed 7 driving tests and am thinking to buy any rubbish 2nd hand car for about £300. how much would they insure me roughly. i admit, i AM high risk and an awful driver. but any guesses abuot how much insurance would be? i heard it is lower for women and lower for over 25s

ReputationRep:
    Why are you high risk, what form do you have to tell the insurance that?

If you don't have any previous accidents and you are over 25 having just passed your test, plus being female, your insurance will probably be very cheap, around £300 as a high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Why are you high risk, what form do you have to tell the insurance that?

If you don't have any previous accidents and you are over 25 having just passed your test, plus being female, your insurance will probably be very cheap, around £300 as a high.
    Insurance doesn't magically become cheap upon age... it also requires you to have NCB and also you need to have held your driver's license for a certain amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Insurance doesn't magically become cheap upon age... it also requires you to have NCB and also you need to have held your driver's license for a certain amount of time.
    It is a lot cheaper at 25 than at 17! You are out of the high risk bracket.

ReputationRep:
    Look at all the angry people knowing they made a mistake by not looking around.

And yes, your **** does stink. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeonecalledJohnny)
    Classic Insurance is only for over 23 year olds as I found out...

Wrong, I've had my own classic policies since I was 17.

One of the major differences again is that if you fill the quote in online they say 'sorry you are to young', if you ring up they are fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    I rang up loads of companies cheapest quote was Churchill which coincidentally was on the phone but their website gave me the exact same quote anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    So try another company.
    Or is that an intelectual leap too far? :eek:
    I got a quote for £1300 online.

Called about 10 or so insurance companies: "sorry we cannot beat that quote."

Suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)

Suggestions?

10 isn't really a lot given how many companys there are out there. I have a set of about 10 or so that I go to when I want to insure something new. That set was found through years of doing this kind of searching, mind.

You could always call that company direct and ask if they can do any better than their internet price because "company X can do it cheaper and they'll chuck y and z in for no extra cost" - whether that information is true or not doesnt matter so long as it's plausable. Just try your luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    yes and no. having your licence for a while helps, but ncb isn't all that. I have 1 years NCB licence for 5, 23 years old and pay about 500 on my S-Type.. my last few cars have all been of high Insurance Groups, and in recent years I havent paid more than 600-700 on any of my cars without any ncb..

JC has a valid point, specifics aside, it's all about legwork if you want the cheapest insurance possible.

LOL negative. thanks. I remember why I stopped using this forum..

ReputationRep:

Suggestions?
    By any chance, who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    By any chance, who?
    Admiral, spose I should also mention that I'm 18 and no NCB.

ReputationRep:
    Admiral, spose I should also mention that I'm 18 and no NCB.
    Ah, as a 17 year old, no NCB, both on the phone and online I'm quoted about 4 grand, so a no go there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    Ah, as a 17 year old, no NCB, both on the phone and online I'm quoted about 4 grand, so a no go there
    What car? Engine size?

ReputationRep:
    What car? Engine size?
    '91 VW Polo, 1.2 litre, the 1.2 may be why like

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.