Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What exactly is wrong with being prejudiced against people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it natural to have misgivings and dislikes towards people?

I often find that in public I would be dismissive in public to n-word/chav-like people, guys who are preppily dressed, etc. this is by way of not holding doors open for them, not talking to them if they talk to me, etc.

Isn't it only modern society that says prejudice is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

Just because people discriminate against you, it doesn't mean it's right.

ReputationRep:
    The prejudice part .

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with being prejudice against an individual for something they have personally done, but to be prejudice against a whole race/ certainly dressed people is just ignorant because you're assuming they are all the same.

ReputationRep:
    See a group of youths of African origin hanging out on the corner of your street and walk the other way when you leave the house - acceptable

See a group of youths of African origin hanging out on the corner of your street, call up your hick pals and get out the white table cloth - perhaps not

Everything inbetween represents a bit of a grey area in my book - as long as you don't incite hatred you're pretty much free to think what you like yo :rolleyes:

..that said, it seems rather unfair, and usually illogical, to judge people based upon the actions, or themes associated with, a certain group of people

ReputationRep:
    lol... it's only our modern society that says it's wrong. nothing more. lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FindBeautyInNegativeSpace)
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

Just because people discriminate against you, it doesn't mean it's right.
    PC thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Natural =/= good
    prejudice is illogical

ReputationRep:
    Being prejudiced has no positive outcomes; in some situations it might but in the real world from day to day activities, it's just illogical as Stefan stated and IMO just plain stupid.

There isn't really any reason to do this; there are a lot of people who don't interact with certain people because of illogical beliefs or ideologies about them, for no apparent reason.

But I mean, go ahead and be prejudice, see how far you get in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    See a group of youths of African origin hanging out on the corner of your street and walk the other way when you leave the house - acceptable

See a group of youths of African origin hanging out on the corner of your street, call up your hick pals and get out the white table cloth - perhaps not

Everything inbetween represents a bit of a grey area in my book - as long as you don't incite hatred you're pretty much free to think what you like yo :rolleyes:

..that said, it seems rather unfair, and usually illogical, to judge people based upon the actions, or themes associated with, a certain group of people
    Spot on imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.