Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year, and applied somewhat widely with the intention of visiting everywhere. I have unconditional offers (for chemistry, four years) from both these unis, but it's very hard to pick between them.

Anybody have a view on pros/cons?

They're both quite wealthy universities, I didn't object to anything in either course, Bath is a more attractive city than Coventry but Warwick uni is a perfectly nice town in itself. I'm not really one for nightlife, but the accomodation seems pretty much the same everywhere.

Warwick has the edge of being a Russell Group uni, but how important is that in the real world?

I'm a bit lost, as you might be able to tell.

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Bath and I love it. It's worth considering that because Bath is largely a science based uni (that could be a pro or a con) it has more journal subscriptions than other unis (I'm not sure about Warwick in particular), so that's useful as you get in to your later years. I'm sure Warwick's lovely though, so yeah not very helpful! I think Bath has a good reputation... Most people get good placements and quite a few of my friends have good Masters/PhD/jobs lined up for after graduation...

ReputationRep:
    bath is great for science.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, I've got offers from Warwick and Leeds and now i can't choose :confused:
    So I guess I can't offer much advice, seeing as how I can't decide for my self, only sympathy

ReputationRep:
    Bath is rated very highly for Chemistry research by the RAE, if that means anything to you. Although, it's probably not the best asssessment as they only take into account some types of research. http://www.rae.ac.uk/results/quality...id=18&type=uoa, whereas Warwick is higher on the league tables, although, most of the time, these don't mean much. The russel group status probably won't give you much edge, as they are both highly regarded by employers.

As for what starfield said, I'm at Warwick (doing Biology, so I don't know all that much about the Chem department, except that according to biochem students, it's a helluva lot better organised ) and we have a lot of journal subscriptions, I would go as far to say you'll find 90% of the papers you'll need, but there is the occasional one you can't get and it's bloody annoying.

I suppose location may be another factor in your choice, i.e. how far from home. Sorry I can't give any more advice.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick has a much greater cache and is targeted keenly by graduate recruiters. Although it might not be your thing, you should be aware that over 50% of new graduates accepted into IB came from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick.

This may be due in part, not to Bath being necessarily 'worse' than Warwick - but the fact that Warwick is a larger university with a greater proportion of students taking 'targeted' subjects (Economics, Finance, Maths, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering etc) - meaning more applications per pound spent on advetising.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.