Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if you all think it's possible or if the workload's too much. Otherwise I'm going to really struggle to afford it. xD

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It would be possible, tough, but possible.

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically going into this with no financial support except what I can get from loans and grants etc. I don't think I'll quite get full possible grants but pretty close. I don't know if I'll be able to make ends meet that way so I'm trying to consider different situations. I think it'd be too time consuming if I was living at home and workign though, I'd just have no time whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    I could have managed some work in first year I think... but second year is much much more intense and there is no way I would be able to work, study and sleep. I'd have to choose 2 out of the 3 and I've chosen study and sleep I'm lucky though, I can afford not to work during term time. Might be tough if you can't afford to do that.

ReputationRep:
    There is plenty of time (at least at my uni, and at least in 1st year) to work. If I needed to, I could quite easily do 2 or 3 shifts at a part time job throughout the week.

ReputationRep:
    If my time management skills weren't so terrible I'd have easily been able to keep a part-time job going for most, if not all of the course. At Manchester, you can definitely work in the first two years, and if you're motivated you'd be able to keep it going during clinicals.

The only barrier in clinicals really is getting sent away for placements, which would make working shifts in the week difficult, but you could do weekends.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who's hard a part time job in his 2nd and 3rd years.

I guess if you were really organised you could do it for 1st year.

I personally don't work during term time, I just work a hell of a lot in the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people in the past have said to similar questions that they work all summer

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people on my medicine course did part-time jobs - mostly bar work, which doesn't interfere with lectures or clinical work.
    It's certainly not impossible, you just have to be organised.

I didn't do much paid work when I was a student, but then again I wasted a huge amount of time drinking & playing on games consoles with my mates. In retrospect, if I'd been a bit more self-disciplined, I could easily have done more paid work & studied more, and still have had a social life.

Once you're a doctor, it is pretty easy to pay off your debts - think how much money you'll be earning over the course of your career. If you're bright & motivated enough to do medicine, please don't let money worries put you off. Medicine needs people from all social groups, and it would be a tragedy if people from less well-off families missed their chance to be a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers to whoever negged me. What was it you disapproved of? The suggestion that you can work part time while studying medicine, or the suggestion that poorer students should still apply?

ReputationRep:
    I have two jobs and i'm in second year...don't know what it will be like to keep both when I start clinical in the summer though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazygal4lyf)
    Just wondering if you all think it's possible or if the workload's too much. Otherwise I'm going to really struggle to afford it. xD

Thanks
    Depends on the med school. I'd say fairly difficult, but has been done. I started to do bar work but soon dropped it. However I know of someone who worked at a call centre during first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbo139)
    Cheers to whoever negged me. What was it you disapproved of? The suggestion that you can work part time while studying medicine, or the suggestion that poorer students should still apply?
    Never take negging seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    Never take negging seriously
    Agreed. That way madness lies.

ReputationRep:
    Entirely possible, I'd encourage it!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I work during the holidays in an office - that pays very well. I work in term time at a local GP surgery and I'm about to start another part time job as a census collector. I'm in the same position as you with no bank of mum and dad to fall back on so I work were I can to save up for the later years when I won't be able to afford it. It can be quiet tough to fit it all in I won't lie. I'm pretty tired come the end of the day but it's worth it I think. It's a case of seeing the long term goals. I've worked hard to get here, what's an afternoon spent indoors in front of a computer getting paid when I could be out in the sun with my friends if it means I get to stay on a course I love doing? The surgery job is useful to studies as well, the Dr's are always happy to answer any questions I have and I sometimes get free old textbooks, plus as many casenotes as you like to look through. All I did was make a cv and drop it in everywhere with a cover note asking for any work and they gave me a zero hours contract - if I don't have time to work they don't mind. I'd def go for office work above bar or shop though, it pays so much better, and that's the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, you've boosted my confidence a bit.

I'm a 5th year and I've worked throughout my 5 year course - hours vary depending on how close to exams I am but I've always worked.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a GEM course and I'm pretty much the only person I know on it who works, but I managed sessional HCA work on my old ward for quite a while. I would drive home after uni on a friday evening, work the weekend and then drive back late sunday night/early monday morning in time for morning uni. It's tough because you end up with absolutely no time off - I'd go months without a day off and/or work nights and end up doing 28 hour days. It's exhausting, but by no means impossible if it needs to be done. It can work out quite well as well - nights on my ward are generally quiet so I could get work/reading done then or I could do presentations I needed to do for the week on a Sunday afternoon when all my patients had visitors, but that will all clearly be quite dependant on where you work. Another thing I liked about it is I felt I was keeping the clinical side of things up when uni felt like it was getting very academic.
    Really I think you just need to give it a try and see how it works out for you, but don't commit to anything long term until you're sure you can sustain it - sessional work is ideal really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.