Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so i'm importing some champagne from france (for a party) and my dad says that i will have to pay tax on it. Is this right? I thought that within the EU you didnt have to pay tax on stuff.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    Okay so i'm importing some champagne from france (for a party) and my dad says that i will have to pay tax on it. Is this right? I thought that within the EU you didnt have to pay tax on stuff.

Any advice?
    What do you mean by importing? You can personally collect as much as booze as you want in the EU and at customs say it is for personal consumption and it will be duty free. Don't know about having it sent by a commercial supplier though.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, it is going to be delivered by a courior, im not actually going to france to pick it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    yeah, it is going to be delivered by a courior, im not actually going to france to pick it up.
    You're at the mercy of HM revenue and Customs then. If they do charge often the courier company pays and then won't hand over the goods until you reimburse them. I must say as someone who lives in France for several months a year, I am surprised you couldn't source it cheaper here especially when you factor in courier costs. I never bring wine back for that very reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    You're at the mercy of HM revenue and Customs then. If they do charge often the courier company pays and then won't hand over the goods until you reimburse them. I must say as someone who lives in France for several months a year, I am surprised you couldn't source it cheaper here especially when you factor in courier costs. I never bring wine back for that very reason.
    I'm buying it directly from a vinyard that sources a very good brand. I am getting the bottles at 15 pounds each instead of the ~45 they would be when they've been re labeled and sent to the uk. (my mum knows the people who run the vineyard personally)

If you have paid taxes in France then there are no taxes due this side of the channel, at least that has been my experience. So if you have paid TVA (VAT) and Duty there is nothing here to pay I am however not 100% if you have a limit on how much you can import although if it is a few bottles for a party I doubt you will hit the threshold

£15/pb instead of £45/pb :eek: I want in

What brand if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: If they aren't charging TVA/Duty ask them to charge it as it will be cheaper than it will cost in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Import it from Colombia. When I import goods from Columbia I never pay import duty on them? Maybe there's a free trade agreement in place or something.

Although maybe the fact my imports get smuggled up somebodys backside helps me avoid the tariff.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.