Turn on thread page Beta

POLL: Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay. watch

• View Poll Results: What will the sexual orientation of your child be?
    Straight
    78.07%
    Gay
    3.51%
    Flip a coin to decide
    18.42%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Well obviously everybody would choose straight because it would mean your child will face less prejudice and discrimination during their life. It'll generally make their life easier, and I'm saying that as a gay person I would probably choose straight.

You do realize that that proves practically nothing though, only that nobody would choose a more difficult life for their child than necessary.
    Evidently not. Look at the poll.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to get into this debate again, but it's pretty clear that it isn't a choice.
    I have no clear view of the issue. I'm not gay, so have no personal experience from which to draw upon.

Having said that, better informed, more intelligent people than I have reached conclusions on either side of this debate.

So, I would not argue, as you do, that it's "pretty clear that it isn't a choice"

And there are certainly elements of choice.

There are elements of choice in conventional heterosexual behaviour (that distinguish us, for example, from those that practice celibacy.)

These elements of choice alone are enough to distinguish it from the effects of an entirely involuntary disability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Did I not say in another thread that I could care less if my kid was gay?
    You did, and I chose to pass your bad grammar as a typo. Now, however, you've done it a second time.

You 'couldn't care less'.

(Original post by xarcul)
    You did, and I chose to pass your bad grammar as a typo. Now, however, you've done it a second time.

You 'couldn't care less'.
    Shut up, no one likes a Grammar Nazi.

Voted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Shut up, no one likes a Grammar Nazi.

Voted.
    That's true, but you actually said the exact opposite of what you were trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely, utterly couldn't care less whether they turned out gay, straight or a hybrid of the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    So are you saying that you would choose the fourth option of randomly selecting their sexual orientation with a 97% chance of them being straight? Not any less? So you would prefer it to have a great chance of having straight children?

Secondly, go look up the definition of the word 'hypothetical', you f*cktard.
    LOL you are one bitter and angry young man, that's for sure!

It's okay xarcul, you can come out now. It's safe out here and noone will be nasty to you

ReputationRep:
    It may only be a problem if you have only one kid who then turns out to be gay so you won't have any grandchildren

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I genuinely, utterly couldn't care less whether they turned out gay, straight or a hybrid of the two.
    Is that really true?

You really couldn't care less if you had grandchildren or not?

ReputationRep:
    With the current society I would never wish to have a gay kid. Knowing and hearing stories of how homosexuals are discriminated and how much they suffer, I don't think any parents would wish that on their children.
    If people stopped being prejudicious though, I don't think parents should want/love their kids more or less because of their sexual orientation. That's the same as saying deep down no parents want their kids to be girls/boys, have brown eyes, ...

ReputationRep:
    What a bunch of bull****.
    I feel sad for you if you consider sexual orientation of any significance. Especially at the time of birth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Disco)
    Is that really true?

You really couldn't care less if you had grandchildren or not?
    I'd want my child to live their life for themselves, not with some underlying obligation to fulfil any 'needs' I have.

But to answer your questions: yes, it's really true (that's why I put the word genuinely in it), and no, I couldn't. But either way, if I did have a child who turned out to be gay, that only rules out biological grandchildren and I'm not someone who gets hung up on biology in that way.

*In fact there's still an option of biological children for said child, it's just uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    I picked straight. I'm hoping I will have a son who will bring home a hot girlfriend so that I can say 'Get in there my son!'.

On a global scale, more gay people could be beneficial to the human race. It might dramatically reduce the population of the earth, cos their is a lot of overcrowding and such.

I would never choose to have a gay child, I doubt many people would. But, for the moment at least, its not a choice. However with the advancing technology I hear one day we could pick the sex of our children. Maybe then we could pick the sexuality as well. Of course that would mean the gay population would probably disappear.

ReputationRep:
    I think most people would choose straight, even though they would accept their child if they were gay, because it saves them going through all the predjudice and confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I'd want my child to live their life for themselves, not with some underlying obligation to fulfil any 'needs' I have.

But to answer your questions: yes, it's really true (that's why I put the word genuinely in it), and no, I couldn't. But either way, if I did have a child who turned out to be gay, that only rules out biological grandchildren and I'm not someone who gets hung up on biology in that way.

*In fact there's still an option of biological children for said child, it's just uncommon.
    Fair enough.

For myself, the genetics are important. That is not an intellectual conclusion, but an instinctive reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Disco)
    I have no clear view of the issue. I'm not gay, so have no personal experience from which to draw upon.
    OK, well I can tell you that I am gay, and it most certainly isn't a choice. It annoys me when people assume that it is a choice when I know that it isn't, and any gay/lesbian person will verify. Being gay is no more of a choice than being straight is, not to mention it's verified here, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more credible source.

Sorry if I sound tetchy, but when you have to justify yourself to people repeatedly in a way that most people don't, it gets rather tiresome.

There are elements of choice in conventional heterosexual behaviour (that distinguish us, for example, from those that practice celibacy.)
    Being celibate doesn't stop you from being gay though. It stops you from having sex with people of the same gender, but you're still as likely to face discrimination for it.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care whether the child was straight or gay. Maybe you'd assume they're straight at first as you might just expect it but if they happen to be gay I wouldn't care as long as they're being themselves and are happy it doesn't matter whether they're gay or straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vc94)
    A good parent will simply want their child to be happy (whether gay or not!)
    What if the child is happy wrecking his life, living on the streets doing drugs? (not related to being gay i know)

ReputationRep:
    OK, well I can tell you that I am gay, and it most certainly isn't a choice. It annoys me when people assume that it is a choice when I know that it isn't, and any gay/lesbian person will verify. Being gay is no more of a choice than being straight is, not to mention it's verified here, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more credible source.

Sorry if I sound tetchy, but when you have to justify yourself to people repeatedly in a way that most people don't, it gets rather tiresome.

Being celibate doesn't stop you from being gay though. It stops you from having sex with people of the same gender, but you're still as likely to face discrimination for it.

But surely then you have made the choice in having told people? (Unless you are suggesting that there exist outward marks of homosexuality, that there is perhaps some inherent link between homosexuality and camp (m) or butch (f) behaviour, which seems unlikely to me)

Which is not to say that it isn't wrong that someone who is gay should be forced to choose between being open about their homosexuality and facing prejudice, or hiding it.

But someone who lives with a disability has no means of avoiding the prejudice, which is why I felt the analogy to be unfair.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.