Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

POLL: Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay. Watch

• View Poll Results: What will the sexual orientation of your child be?
    Straight
    78.07%
    Gay
    3.51%
    Flip a coin to decide
    18.42%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vc94)
    A good parent will simply want their child to be happy (whether gay or not!)
    So a good parent would be happy if their child got their kicks from murdering prostitutes?

Mr. and Mrs. Sutcliffe must be over the moon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Disco)
    But surely then you have made the choice in having told people? (Unless you are suggesting that there exist outward marks of homosexuality, that there is perhaps some inherent link between homosexuality and camp (m) or butch (f) behaviour, which seems unlikely to me)
    Well first of all you're assuming that all disabilities are immediately physically noticeable, which they're not. Secondly yes whilst a gay person could technically hide their sexuality for their entire lives, that'd be psychologically damaging and avoidable if possible. Of course the two examples aren't identical in that respect, but they're similar enough to the point where it's a good analogy.

Which is not to say that it isn't wrong that tsomeone who is gay should be forced to choose between being open about their homosexuality and facing prejudice, or hiding it.

But someone who lives with a disability has no means of avoiding the prejudice, which is why I felt the analogy to be unfair.
    Again however, you can't categorize disabilities as one, because some aren't immediately noticeable. Either way if you take it back to the original point i.e you wouldn't want your child to face discrimination of any sort, being gay and being disabled (albeit different things), both tend to result in being discriminated against at some point, so the analogy is sound.

ReputationRep:
    The two people who said Gay lied.

ReputationRep:
    Someone's sexualitiy should only cornern those who they wish to have sexual relations with. I will not have sexual relations with my child, Therefore I will not care.

ReputationRep:
    Gay or not, as long as they are happy in life that is all that matters. I wouldn't think less of my pretend future son if he told me he liked men instead of women, you can't force someone to take a sexual preference based on your own interests, it is immoral, unfair and selfish. I would still love them the same regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I would love my children unconditionally, regardless of their sexuality. I have no preference for my child to be gay or straight, I just want them to be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of this:

"I just think any parent would want a normal child... just to make it easier for the child!"

I voted flip a coin because I wouldn't want to make that decision for anyone. Being gay doesn't necessarily make someone's life harder, although it is probably easier for most people to be straight.

ReputationRep:
    I guess alot of parents would want their kids to be straight as its easier to deal with when you have to have special talks. There aren't many men that would be very comfortable to have a man to man talk with their son about sex if their son is gay.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be perfectly happy if my son was gay, but i would rather he be straight. Not because i am homophobic, but because it is much easier to be straight than gay. If he is straight he never has to go through all the trauma of discovering he is gay and being afraid of being bullied and being scared of coming out, and he will have a much easier time finding a girlfriend than a boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Straight.
    I'm not exactly planning on having kids in the near future, but as a gay guy I'd still say straight for an easier life. It hurts a little because it feels like invalidating your own life, but it's logically correct. Also there might be awkward questions asked if a gay parent raised a gay child.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I'd ideally like to have 2 sons, so that 1 of them can do their thing without me being disappointed. If both were gay i'd just be like, fml...

I think it's a base instinct to want to carry on your bloodline, which is why it's important, if not politically correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowmeringue)
    I would love my children unconditionally, regardless of their sexuality. I have no preference for my child to be gay or straight, I just want them to be happy.
    This, 100% :yy:

Stupid thread btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Disco)
    What you've done there, is you've compared homosexuality to a disability.
    Yeah I knew you'd say that. Well, some would say it is a disability. (Not neccessarily me - I don't know).

What I said was that no parent could truly want their child to be at increased risk of being hurt/bullied etc - thus they would probably, if they really had the choose, choose a child less 'different' (though the idea of getting to choose is horrendous).

If the world as it is doesn't change. then ideally, I wouldn't want my kid to have low confidence, be disabled, be homosexual. Not because I couldn't accept them, but I wouldn't want them to be at greater risk of being bullied and hurt by society at large.

Obv. the best scenario would be that the world at large changed - that we all became more accepting, and then none of these problems would arise, because no matter how 'different' you were you wouldn't be at increased risk of suffering for it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want them to be gay no more than I would want them to be straight. I'd want them to do whatever they feel comfortable with.

I'd only choose straight instead of flipping a coin purely because of the prejudice against homosexuality, if there was no prejudice then I wouldn't hesitate to flip a coin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Well first of all you're assuming that all disabilities are immediately physically noticeable, which they're not. Secondly yes whilst a gay person could technically hide their sexuality for their entire lives, that'd be psychologically damaging and avoidable if possible. Of course the two examples aren't identical in that respect, but they're similar enough to the point where it's a good analogy.

Again however, you can't categorize disabilities as one, because some aren't immediately noticeable. Either way if you take it back to the original point i.e you wouldn't want your child to face discrimination of any sort, being gay and being disabled (albeit different things), both tend to result in being discriminated against at some point, so the analogy is sound.
    Even if the disabilities are not immediately noticeable, they should be manifest at some point, else whatever it is that ails them is clearly not impeding on their life enough to be considered a disability!

If I spend time with someone with a disability, it would eventually be clear to me.

If I spend time with a homosexual, it is not necessarily the case that it would become clear to me.

You 'come out' as a homosexual. No one 'comes out' as disabled.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer my kid to be a hermaphrodite so it could sleep with all your kids and have a jolly time with it all.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.