Turn on thread page Beta

Father fell out with me over the census... watch

(Original post by Mithra)
    You know OP said he feels Scottish not English right? :p:
    Yes, I know that...why are you asking? You do know that sectarianism directed by some Scots in Scotland (Glasgow in particular) towards the Irish is rife, don't you?

The country you were born in is slightly different to the building you were born in.. (Also nationality is not really comparable to species, slight racism there?).
    Christ was born in a stable in Bethlehem, yet he was known as a 'Nazarene'. And you haven't explained yourself very well in your comment in brackets. I don't have a clue what you are alluding to.

Plus 'Christ' wasn't born anywhere but thats another thread entirely.
    Apart from the fact that you can't make that statement without any definitive proof, what practical advice have you given the OP to help resolve the pain being felt between father and child?

Ah...none...as I thought. You're only posting negatively on a thread that should be positive for someone who is so obviously distressed. What did you put down on the census form as your description of what you are? A 'prat', maybe?

(Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    I put down Jedi. I'm not going to reveal my true identity.
    Sooo many students put that down that is might be significant. Maybe the government will provide some funding out of a non-existent purse to allow for Jedi's to worship in a starship.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he was having a bad day?

P.S. In 100 years it would be a descendant not ancestor. Just saying because I was confused when I read that sentence at first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Stupidest thing to fall out over.

Then again I can't talk.

First time my mum kicked me out the house was because I tried to help her with the remote control. :lolwut:
    Sounds like angry Asian muvvvas

ReputationRep:
    My mum keeps giving out to me because I'm ticking No Religion :huff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    You are born in Scotland, you are Scottish.

Don't get involved with all the rubbish we get about pretending to be Irish or whatever. You're born and bred in this nation, not Ireland.
    So was I. However, I only lived in Scotland for 5 years and my entire family is English (as far back as you could care to go) and I don't call myself Scottish. Obviously my situation is different to that of the OP, but just because you were born in a certain country, that doesn't necessarily mean that you would say you are "from" that country.

To take a more extreme example, I once met a Russian couple who had a baby while they were on holiday in Spain. Does that make their baby Spanish?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by yawn)
    Yes, I know that...why are you asking? You do know that sectarianism directed by some Scots in Scotland (Glasgow in particular) towards the Irish is rife, don't you?
    Sectarianism yes but I've never heard of it turning into it being hating all Scottish people, and since I assume if the OP is religious in any way it would probably be the same sect as his dad I would have assumed its unlikely to be an issue. If Irish people do in fact hate all Scots this is news to me and I withdraw my correction :p:

Apart from the fact that you can't make that statement without any definitive proof, what practical advice have you given the OP to help resolve the pain being felt between father and child?

Ah...none...as I thought. You're only posting negatively on a thread that should be positive for someone who is so obviously distressed. What did you put down on the census form as your description of what you are? A 'prat', maybe?
    Plenty of other advice has been given in the thread, with the most sensible in my eyes being that the whole idea of the census is about how you identify yourself so it doesn't matter at all what the OPs father thinks, why should I feel the need to add to it?

I only replied because for some reason Christians feel the need to force it into everything and it pisses me off.

ReputationRep:
    Same problem here. My dad wanted to put me down as a Christian, and I said that I wanted to be put down as a Zeteticist (the religion of the Flat Earth Society) for teh lulz.

ReputationRep:
    haha yeah it seems parents always seem to be weird about this sort of thing, my mum argued with me for ages because I said I was 'healthy' rather that 'very healthy', even though I haven't done any real exercise at all this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickpeas1)
    So was I. However, I only lived in Scotland for 5 years and my entire family is English (as far back as you could care to go) and I don't call myself Scottish. Obviously my situation is different to that of the OP, but just because you were born in a certain country, that doesn't necessarily mean that you would say you are "from" that country.

To take a more extreme example, I once met a Russian couple who had a baby while they were on holiday in Spain. Does that make their baby Spanish?
    I completely take your point on board but with respect, it's a different issue that you've mentioned so it would be unfair to compare both.

As I've already hinted at, sectarianism is bad up here and the OP's father has a different agenda rather than simply filling out what nation you feel you represent on a bit of paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popat21)
    At least you didn't get freaked at because you wanted to put 'Sith Lord' as your religion...
    I really, really hope you come from a family of hardcore jedi knights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Sooo many students put that down that is might be significant. Maybe the government will provide some funding out of a non-existent purse to allow for Jedi's to worship in a starship.

More jedis? Crap. That's only going to make my job harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hampster)
    I really, really hope you come from a family of hardcore jedi knights.
    Jedi knights, hindus...Don't really see much of a difference tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    I reckon Scotland has hindrances a bit more major than people ticking a box in the census, such as the collapse of its two largest banks and a dearth of political talent in its 'Government' during an election year...
    I agree, hence why I said it's quite childish.

(Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    More jedis? Crap. That's only going to make my job harder.
    Lol...thanks for cheering me up. Rep for you too.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum isn't talking to my Dad because he ticked that she had '1-4 O-Levels' rather than '5+'. She has taken great offence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Well I would like to think my son would consider himself Irish if I have one but live somewhere else. But at the end of the day it is your choice. Tell him your more of a James Connolly than a Patrick Pearse.
    Yes but presumably the OP was born in Scotland and they've already said their mother is Scottish.

(Original post by Mithra)
    Sectarianism yes but I've never heard of it turning into it being hating all Scottish people, and since I assume if the OP is religious in any way it would probably be the same sect as his dad I would have assumed its unlikely to be an issue. If Irish people do in fact hate all Scots this is news to me and I withdraw my correction :p:
    Sheesh...I give up trying to educate you..how the heck can you distort the point that sectarianism directed towards an individual because of their nationality would make that individual feel betrayed if their child identifies with the offender rather than the offended?.http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/imag...s/banghead.gif

(Original post by rofflewaffle)
    My Mum isn't talking to my Dad because he ticked that she had '1-4 O-Levels' rather than '5+'. She has taken great offence.
    She should have ensured that she ticked the boxes herself that related to her...or demanded that he defer to her before ticking the boxes for her. No one to blame but herself, ultimately.

I wonder if the government realise - or even care - that families the breadth of Britain are falling out over the compulsory completion of these damned forms. We can point the finger of blame at the politicians with the resultant family break-downs and divorces.

ReputationRep:
    I definintely think that he wasn't being reasonable.

I had an argument with my Stepdad about the census also. I was filling it all in because my parents couldn't be bothered, and I asked him what his religion was, and he said Christian. So I asked him if he even believed that there's a God, and he said no. So I said that technically he isn't a Christian, because that's the fundamental teaching. It's like saying that you enjoy all types of soup, and then when asked if they like chicken soup they say no. The latter makes the original statement false. We then got into a huge discussion about it, and I've been bought up in Catholic education my entire life and I'm taking Religious Studies at A level, so I had an answer or argument for everything he said as I has considerablly more knowledge on the subject than him. And he ended up shouting at me and storming out.
    Turns out that he just believes in Jesus' teachings. So basically he thinks everyone should be good people, which generally the view of the entire population... Believing that doesn't render you Christian.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.