The Student Room Group

Are YOU doing GEOGRAPHY A level?!?!?!? URGENT!!! Important!!!!!!

please please please just take a moment to help me out if you can!!!!!!!!!

are you doing OCR GEOGRAPHY A LEVEL?

could you please LOOK AT YOUR TEXT BOOK and tell me who its by, and what date it was printed? i have serious concerns about the textbook i have, and im doing it at home so have no-one to ask.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1

this, from 2008 ^.^
Reply 2
No, I'm not. Thanks for asking.
Reply 3
see the spec......books doesnt play a big role wen workin out wt u learn. I did aqa chem unit 1 without the advised book...and got an a in the module.
Reply 4
Only the case studies will be out of date......
Reply 5
Check your school or local library for any new resources or books that you think you might need. If you don't 'trust' the book you have now, use another. I believe the Advanced Geography and Integrated Approach books aren't catered for a specific exam board in Geography, so use them if you want to. You can get them pretty cheap off of Amazon.

I'm just glad I do AQA Geography, despite the ambiguous questions and the seemingly Media based ones we get in our GIE (why would they ask us to evaluate a website? :/) the books for the course are really good.
Reply 6
Original post by emma363

this, from 2008 ^.^

thanks for answering! thats the book im using, too.
sorry about the urgency of my post, no-one was responding to my previous questions so had to up the game a bit, lol.

have you done any exams and found that the book fell short of the answers you needed? and that the book doesnt have enough details for you? it seems so simplistic for me but i dont have anything to compare it to...what do u do about the out of date case studys? thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by Charlieeeeee

thanks for answering! thats the book im using, too.
sorry about the urgency of my post, no-one was responding to my previous questions so had to up the game a bit, lol.

have you done any exams and found that the book fell short of the answers you needed? and that the book doesnt have enough details for you? it seems so simplistic for me but i dont have anything to compare it to...what do u do about the out of date case studys? thanks!

Well in our class we share two books between two of us, the green one and this one:

which I can tell you is ALOT better, but then again it does have some unneeded waffle in it and misses a few things out.

For the physical geography modual in january it was pretty good, but it lacks detail on some of the physical processes.
For human which we're doing for june the textbook doesn't seem that great and the case studies aren't either, but we seem to be learning case studies of nearby places we can visit instead of the ones in the book.

I don't think it really matters how old the case studies are, nobodys gonna check :smile:
Reply 8
june 1999, proff frankie boyle
Reply 9
Original post by emma363
Well in our class we share two books between two of us, the green one and this one:

which I can tell you is ALOT better, but then again it does have some unneeded waffle in it and misses a few things out.

For the physical geography modual in january it was pretty good, but it lacks detail on some of the physical processes.
For human which we're doing for june the textbook doesn't seem that great and the case studies aren't either, but we seem to be learning case studies of nearby places we can visit instead of the ones in the book.

I don't think it really matters how old the case studies are, nobodys gonna check :smile:

although the one i have (2008, jane dove) was recommended by ocr, i worry about it because on online reviews of it on amazon they say that the one you just showed me (by micheal raw) is much better. however, chris martin (one of the authors of the jane dove version) is my tutor, so i dont want to swap for fear of upsetting him lol!

are you talking about the jane dove or the micheal raw version here?

i want to limit as much unneeded waffle as possible as im on a strict time limit lol! i started as and a2 geog in february and exams are in may/june ahhhhh!
as for case studies, mostly i can get away with outdated facts, but i think itll be a bit embarrassing (not to mention grade damaging) if i say something like 'myanmar is a military controlled country' if its now democratic lol. what does your teacher recommend you do, or does he just correct as he goes through the book? do you think i should definitely get the micheal raw version to make sure ive got everything i need to know or is most of it in the jane dove version anyway?

thanks for your help btw, im desperate to talk to someone else who will understand what im on about! :smile:
Reply 10

although the one i have (2008, jane dove) was recommended by ocr, i worry about it because on online reviews of it on amazon they say that the one you just showed me (by micheal raw) is much better. however, chris martin (one of the authors of the jane dove version) is my tutor, so i dont want to swap for fear of upsetting him lol!

are you talking about the jane dove or the micheal raw version here?

i want to limit as much unneeded waffle as possible as im on a strict time limit lol! i started as and a2 geog in february and exams are in may/june ahhhhh!
as for case studies, mostly i can get away with outdated facts, but i think itll be a bit embarrassing (not to mention grade damaging) if i say something like 'myanmar is a military controlled country' if its now democratic lol. what does your teacher recommend you do, or does he just correct as he goes through the book? do you think i should definitely get the micheal raw version to make sure ive got everything i need to know or is most of it in the jane dove version anyway?

thanks for your help btw, im desperate to talk to someone else who will understand what im on about! :smile:

Haha best keep that one then, and are you doing the whole a level in a year?
and I was talking about the jane dove one, all my teachers say the micheal raw ones better but I used the green one and it got me an A in jan so it can't be that bad!
Not really sure about out of date case studies don't think we've come across any yet, but can't you just put was instead of is? :P
Reply 11
please please please just take a moment to help me out if you can!!!!!!!!!

are you doing OCR GEOGRAPHY A LEVEL?

could you please LOOK AT YOUR TEXT BOOK and tell me who its by, and what date it was printed? i have serious concerns about the textbook i have, and im doing it at home so have no-one to ask.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen people have already mentioned the green OCR Geography book by Jane Dove and others, but this is for AS? If you want A-Level there is the next book up, looks basically the same but is OCR A2 Geography and is red, by the same people :smile:

Also you can buy revision guides by Chris Martin, which look similar to the books, I have one for A2 but not sure about AS ones!
Reply 12
Original post by emma363
Haha best keep that one then, and are you doing the whole a level in a year?
and I was talking about the jane dove one, all my teachers say the micheal raw ones better but I used the green one and it got me an A in jan so it can't be that bad!
Not really sure about out of date case studies don't think we've come across any yet, but can't you just put was instead of is? :P

yeah, except i had an internship until january so i started it in february :|
ive finished revising AS but just starting A2. sometimes i think its piss easy, which worries me because its supposed to be difficult and maybe its just the textbook is too simple!
i'm going to get the chris martin revision guides then. obviously some are still relevant no matter when they happened, but others talk about tsunamis that have happened in japan and when the last one was and what precautions theyre taking, and i dont know how to incorporate the recent japan tsunami into that? lol. thanks for your help!
Reply 13
Original post by im1190
I've seen people have already mentioned the green OCR Geography book by Jane Dove and others, but this is for AS? If you want A-Level there is the next book up, looks basically the same but is OCR A2 Geography and is red, by the same people :smile:

Also you can buy revision guides by Chris Martin, which look similar to the books, I have one for A2 but not sure about AS ones!

im doing as and a2 in a year :smile: so im using both. i was just checking that they were the right ones. are you doing geog? what one do you use, is it the jane dove one?
Reply 14
im doing as and a2 in a year :smile: so im using both. i was just checking that they were the right ones. are you doing geog? what one do you use, is it the jane dove one?

Yeah I have used both the green one for AS and red one for A2, by Jane Dove :smile: And oh my gosh in one year? That has to be horrible! Good luck though :smile: xx
Reply 15
Original post by im1190
Yeah I have used both the green one for AS and red one for A2, by Jane Dove :smile: And oh my gosh in one year? That has to be horrible! Good luck though :smile: xx

haha it is horrible! holey moley unit 4 is a bitch especially! kind of wish there was coursework but oh well. good luck to you too :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending