Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I read that the UK government has in fact rejected this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    It's referring to petrol and diesel cars. By 2050, technology will have moved on considerably - electric powered cars (either battery or hydrogen fuel cell or some other technology) will have advanced sufficiently for cars like that to be economically and practically viable en mass.
    If petrol and diesel cars will be obsolete and everyone will be using other technology, then what's the point of banning them? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    If I agreed with you more often, then we'd both be wrong.
    Lucky I shan't be changing my ideology any time soon then!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mjeezy)
    If petrol and diesel cars will be obsolete and everyone will be using other technology, then what's the point of banning them? :confused:
    I guess it's an incentive to make fossil fuel powered cars obsolete?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj_945)
    Just heard that the European Commission has said that Petrol and Diesel Cars should be banned from City Centres in European Cities by 2050.

What would you think about cars being banned from British cities, particularly London?

----------

Personally, I'm going to throw it out there and say that i think it might be a good idea. I still cannot understand why the use of cars is so widespread in Central London. Cars are always slower than bicycles/motorbikes/mopeds round London. On a road bike, you can manage an easy 20 mph average, in a 30 mph limit. Cars are very expensive to run-in town you might only manage 20-30 mpg. And the biggest risk to bicycles are busses and trucks. They produce congestion which slows everyone down, including bikes If only motorbikes, bicycles and tube were allowed, transport would be cheaper, faster, safer, cleaner.

I'm not a big environmentalists, I'm more interested in the practicalities. But it makes sense to me.
    meh, so many buses and undergrounds stations that i never used a car in london all my life, i don't care

ReputationRep:
    1) Public transport isn't reliable enough
    2) Motorcyclists are 50 times more likely to be injured at present than car drivers, so while it's a risk I have taken in the past it's a big risk I can understand others avoiding
    3) Public transport isn't practical for a mother and her children; there's so much to lug around before you've even been shopping!
    4) Some people with disabilities such as myself are unable to use public transport
    5) With less cars on the road there will be less income for the country via fuel duty, road tax and congestion charges

ReputationRep:
    Why do people bang on about cycling around Central London. It's all well and good in the summer, but when it gets cold and rainy and you have to carry stuff around it's not fun at all. Believe me, I've done it.

There'd be no point in completely banning cars from Central London unless there is a very alternative to get people home who most likely don't live in Central London. Getting to some parts of London is a nightmare after a certain hour from what I remember.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the EU should be enforcing this on us. In fact, I don't think anyone should be enforcing this on us. Most people now recognise environmental issues, so perhaps it would be fair if non-petrol cars and other means of transport were promoted. However, I think a full-ban on petrol cars in London is a bad move. If someone owns a car with petrol, by which we have been using petrol for years, then it is their right to drive their car where they wish on public roads. I think enforcing the ban on them would infringe their freedom of movement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.