Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have this question, which i seem to be able to do the most part of, but can't seem to figure out how to complete it..

Poove, by induction, [1, 1, 0, 1] ^x = [1, x, 0, 1] for all values of x.

Where the matrix is a 2x2 and reads across such that [A, B, C, D]

thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    For your induction hypothesis assume [1, 1, 0, 1] ^k = [1, k, 0, 1] for some value of k.

Consider [1, 1, 0, 1] ^(k+1) = something X something...

Can you take it from there?

ReputationRep:
    ive gotten that far...it's atually going through the inductive part that i get stuck with...i can't seem to actually proove it. But i can tell that im close..there is something that im just not doing right, and i can't work out what...

but thank you

ReputationRep:
    I was doing this at college today! you say 'let it be true for x = k, and then write it the same but with k instead of x. Then you say, show to be true for x = k +1; which when you write it, is the matrice you wrote with k (matrice ^k = [1 k 0 1]) *times* the original matrice Because: something to the power of ^k+1 is the same as something to the power of k *times* soemthing to the power of one (just the original number/matrice) (rules of indices) - then you just multiply them and should be able to factor k+1 where x was at the start, hence showing it's true for k and K+1 therefore all values of x

hope at least some part of that made any sense...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macccj)
    I was doing this at college today! you say 'let it be true for x = k, and then write it the same but with k instead of x. Then you say, show to be true for x = k +1; which when you write it, is the matrice you wrote with k (matrice ^k = [1 k 0 1]) *times* the original matrice Because: something to the power of ^k+1 is the same as something to the power of k *times* soemthing to the power of one (just the original number/matrice) (rules of indices) - then you just multiply them and should be able to factor k+1 where x was at the start, hence showing it's true for k and K+1 therefore all values of x

hope at least some part of that made any sense...!
    yeah that makes loads of sense...thank you for that!! although, i might be being stupid...but then dont i get: [1, k, 0, 1] + [1, k+1, 0, 1] which doesnt get me the right answer?

unless i've confused myself and added something extra?

ReputationRep:
    how come you're adding? if you end up with [ 1, k+1, 0, 1] after multiplying your matrices', you've hence shown that it's true... i think :L

ReputationRep:
    hold up - you multiply [1, 1, 0, 1]^k by [ 1, 1, 0, 1]

which means you multiply [ 1, k, 0, 1] (because you said at the start let it be true that [1, 1, 0, 1]^k = [1, k, 0,1]) by [1, 1, 0, 1]
    which should work out as [1, k+1, 0, 1]?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macccj)
    hold up - you multiply [1, 1, 0, 1]^k by [ 1, 1, 0, 1]

which means you multiply [ 1, k, 0, 1] (because you said at the start let it be true that [1, 1, 0, 1]^k = [1, k, 0,1]) by [1, 1, 0, 1]
    which should work out as [1, k+1, 0, 1]?
    yeah, you're right....that makes sense now... I had confused myslef by looking at the wrong thing when i was working it out jsut now...Thank you for your help! It is much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    no worries, glad you got it!

ReputationRep:
    i have another one for you today...proof by induction again..

3^n > n^3 when n >3 ???

am i right by showing it's true for n=4 as that is greater than 3?

and then writing: assume true for n=k such that 3^k > k^3

i've then gone on to say that the next term is 3^k+1 therefore,: 3^k + 3^k+1 > k^3 + 3^k+1 ??

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are right by showing it for n=4.

You need to show that 3^{k+1} > (k+1)^3, given the assumption that 3^{k} > k^3. What you've written doesn't show that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon)
    Yes you are right by showing it for n=4.

You need to show that 3^{k+1} > (k+1)^3, given the assumption that 3^{k} > k^3. What you've written doesn't show that.

thats what i was thinking..its what confused me..so how do i go about showing that 3^{k+1} > (k+1)^3 im guessing where i was going wrong was thinking that i added them ut i dont need to do i...i just have to prove 3^{k+1} > (k+1)^3 ?

thank you for helping

ReputationRep:
    Expanding both sides is a good start.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, when you multiply it out you get multiples of the given formula from the start, sorry i was no more help!!

ReputationRep:
    thank you =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.