Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA English Literature A - Love Through the Ages June 2011 Exam :D Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Language_student)
    Thanks Pthaos. I'm trying to think on the positive side now. My mum gave me a good talking-to and told me I was being melodramatic (which I admit I have a tendency to be sometimes. ) so I'm just going to have to put this exam out of my head and get on with the next one. It feels strange to think that my Literature studies are over now and that I might never study it again.

Hope your Politics exam went well.
    Yeah the politics one went really well thanks, but I'm better at that than English and it's easy to revise for :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggs and Ham)
    Thanks. My teacher said the exam was brutal and that grade boundaries will need to be lowered a bit this year to reflect its difficulty (assuming the thousands who took it found it hard).

Section A for me, was hard. I know everyone's saying it was easy but I found it hard. As for Section B: I struck gold on that one, since I've studied 'The Rover'. Had tons to say about it, but the poem was soo boring.

Having said that, I don't think I'll get the grade I need to go to university.
    aww! i completely agree about the poem! i literally had nothing to say, other than the fact he appeard arrogant/objectified women/missed the attention he got! it was really really tough.

oh, you've studied the rover! do you think it's a fair assumption to say Angellica felt betrayed/that her love was unrequited given Willmore's (was that his name?) return to Helenna? and that the stage directions in which she was 'aside' reflected his thoughts for her - how he pushes her aside and chooses Helenna?

i think that the grade boundaries will reflect the difficulty though!

what grade do you need for university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    The same was true last year as well. It's a brute of an exam.
    really! do you know what the grade boundary was, last year, for an A*? (in the exam?)

ReputationRep:
    Wyatt used to have many relationships with women, but no longer. Women aren't prepared to take the risk of sexual relationships with him any longer. He once had a special sexual relationship with one particualr woman, but she has also left him. He is wondering how to deal with this situation, now she has found a new lover, for reasons he cannot fathom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggs and Ham)
    Did you feel the same way about the June 2010 paper? I was looking at the past paper and mark scheme and honestly, I thought it was much harder than this one. But I didn't have to do an exam on it, I only read what was written in the mark scheme and they expected a lot out of candidates.

By the way, my teacher also thinks many of skills need in this exam were the kind he developed at degree level :eek:. What do you think?
    We were horrified when we saw the paper last year and thought we had failed the students. I quite agree with your teacher about the degree level skills. In the end, my class got 6 A*s, 5 As and 1 B, which got re-marked up to an A as well, so we must have done something right, but it did convince us that a) the board had got the level wrong and b) the grade boudaries were very generous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplestarfish)
    really! do you know what the grade boundary was, last year, for an A*? (in the exam?)
    Can't remember - left my mark scheme at work, but it'll be on the AQA website.

ReputationRep:
    thanks! will check it outtt

ReputationRep:
    i am soooo glad we did the B spec.

ReputationRep:
    thanks! will check it outtt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alison1992)
    i am soooo glad we did the B spec.
    It's interesting how we get loyal to what we are used to. My partner teaches the B spec and I think I'd rather poke my eyes out with a sharp stick, but he loves it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

ReputationRep:
    How important is a line of atgument in the exam? I made points which I feel were relevant, but certainly in the second question I don't think I really had a line of argument!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplestarfish)
    aww! i completely agree about the poem! i literally had nothing to say, other than the fact he appeard arrogant/objectified women/missed the attention he got! it was really really tough.

oh, you've studied the rover! do you think it's a fair assumption to say Angellica felt betrayed/that her love was unrequited given Willmore's (was that his name?) return to Helenna? and that the stage directions in which she was 'aside' reflected his thoughts for her - how he pushes her aside and chooses Helenna?

i think that the grade boundaries will reflect the difficulty though!

what grade do you need for university?

I talked about Aphra Behn being a Royalist (to Charles II) and her drama reflects the Libertinist tradition of the period, particularly since her plays were made for the Royal Court. Restoration Comedy is characterised by witty repartee, exclusive code of manners in high society and complex intrigue of the marriage-market. I used examples from the extract. There are two types of sexual love presented in the extract, one was the soft, melting sexual love epitomised by Angellica Bianca and the other was the inconstancy of love presented by Wilmore (and Hellena, perhaps- only in this extract though- in the play Hellena also years for constant love, despite feigning indifference in the extract. In fact Wilmore tries to rape her in the play but she still married him!). I wrote about Hellena's reference to time and fate and compared it to 'To His Coy Mistress' by Andrew Marvell. The dramatic irony, feminist perspectives, the setting of a carnival, paradoxical feelings of love. Bear in mind, I've studied it before so I doubt most people would have gone into as depth.

ReputationRep:
    Found the exam pretty tough: can't quite tell whether I wrote bull**** or not.

Question 1: Discussed the contrast between haste and hesitance (A/B). Brought in Sense and Sensibility and compared Marianne's philosophy on love to David's: lack of governance. Also compared how in both texts intellectualism precludes love (wtf) and contrasted it with some bit in I, Claudius .

Question 2: Compared the value placed on sexual relationships by Wyatt/Helenna/Angellica(?) - referenced Medea and how betrayal post-sex can be seen as a more poignant violation. Then spouted some piffle about manipulation and referenced To His Coy Mistress.

Was pretty weak on contexual factors and missed out loads of basic literary terms that seem to tick the boxes. Do you think it'll have a massive impact?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TylerA)
    Found the exam pretty tough: can't quite tell whether I wrote bull**** or not.

Question 1: Discussed the contrast between haste and hesitance (A/B). Brought in Sense and Sensibility and compared Marianne's philosophy on love to David's: lack of governance. Also compared how in both texts intellectualism precludes love (wtf) and contrasted it with some bit in I, Claudius .

Question 2: Compared the value placed on sexual relationships by Wyatt/Helenna/Angellica(?) - referenced Medea and how betrayal post-sex can be seen as a more poignant violation. Then spouted some piffle about manipulation and referenced To His Coy Mistress.

Was pretty weak on contexual factors and missed out loads of basic literary terms that seem to tick the boxes. Do you think it'll have a massive impact?

Thanks
    Massive thumbs up for I, Claudius! One of my favourite books and one I'd never thought of suggesting. Trotting out a list of technical terms isn't necessary. It's nice if you label what you find with the appropriate term, but the important thing is finding it and discussing it, not labelling it. Weaker students tend to approach analysis like Pokemon - gotta catch 'em all. Far better to compare, discuss, evaluate than label.

ReputationRep:
    I hopefully the examiner responds similarly! I was running worryingly low on prose and had to look through the books I had read privately - came across a brilliant part where Claudius meets Camilla. Thanks, that's reassuring - hopefully they like enjoy the few points I did make.

ReputationRep:
    We were horrified when we saw the paper last year and thought we had failed the students. I quite agree with your teacher about the degree level skills. In the end, my class got 6 A*s, 5 As and 1 B, which got re-marked up to an A as well, so we must have done something right, but it did convince us that a) the board had got the level wrong and b) the grade boudaries were very generous.
    Wow, that's amazing. You must have been really proud! Now I'm starting to feel optimistic... apparently there's been incidences of AQA giving out wrong exam results. Someone on here said they were marked a U in their A2 exam but a re-mark lifted it up to a C. I'd be horrified if that happened to me. When you say the grade boundaries were generous, are you saying the boundaries were changed that year? I thought it was always pretty much 80 per cent for an A, 70 for a B etc. Hope the grade boundaries are very generous this year...

ReputationRep:
    By the way, what wider reading texts did people use? I used "Pride and Prejudice" (Austen) for question 1 and "Othello" (Shakespeare), "Sonnet 18" (also Shakespeare) and "The Eve of St. Agnes" (Keats) for q. 2. Would have liked to include more but ran out of time. I elaborated quite a bit on my links though so hopefully they will be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Question one: I had already read Disgrace, but I also used Tess of the D, Great Gatsby and Lolita!!

Second question was a nightmare but: To his Coy Mistress, Importance of being Earnest and Much Ado about nothing - BUT I feel so worried about this question practically the only good thing I said was about the Blazon!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahtea)
    In question two I said that wyatt is seen ad being the person who is hurt out of the relationship and appears to be the weaker sex, whereas in the drama extract, Hellena was in control and appeared stronger. Anyone else do that ? And in the first question I said that males tend to rely on physical aspects of relationships rather than emotions

I did this too! i said how in extract c women are portrayed as being more emotionally attached to sexual encounters by men, which is shown through hellena's anger and domination of the speech in the second half of the extract, and rhetorical questions as she demads why willmoore (or whatever his name is) had hurt her. and in the second one i contrasted it by saying how men where presented as the ones who were emotionally attached to sexual encounters and hurt by sexual betrayal and women were the ones acting all willy nilly.

i obviously sounded a bit more precise than that though! ( i hope)

i didnt think the exam was too bad, but saying that i can never tell how something has gone! the first question was fair, i compared it to Jane Eyre.
    and the second question was definatly ALOT harder. i was a bit rushed for time so didnt write tooo much about the poem cos i didnt really get it to be honest! buttttt i rambled and hopefully didnt do disasterously!

but im just glad all my exams are over now! wooo!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.