Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA English Literature A - Love Through the Ages June 2011 Exam :D Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKitKat)
    I need to get a high E in this exam for an A overall (fortunately my coursework was v high!) I managed to get a lot of wider reading quotes and some context in, and the essays were well laid out with paragraphs etc, but AO2 (form structure language) was really rather weak... Is there a chance I might get lower than the mark I need?! Do people ever fail completely with passable essays?!
    How do you work that out?? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad A$$)
    I just saw AQA's UMS converter here: http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_a2.php?id=04 and the raw marks needed for a top grade appears to be very low. According to the converter you only need 52/90 for a Grade A (that's 26/40 in Section A and B of the exam!). Am I reading it correctly?! These are for Jan '11 series by the way, probably very little change for June '11 exam.
    Yes that's correct, I saw that the other day! But just to warn you, they will probably be more similar to the June '10 grade boundaries, which were 57/80, rather than Jan '11. I think it's because they are higher for people who have entered in January only having done the course for half the year, I don't think they really think of re-takers tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it 60/80 to get an A, just to be really annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad A$$)
    I just saw AQA's UMS converter here: http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_a2.php?id=04 and the raw marks needed for a top grade appears to be very low. According to the converter you only need 52/90 for a Grade A (that's 26/40 in Section A and B of the exam!). Am I reading it correctly?! These are for Jan '11 series by the way, probably very little change for June '11 exam.
    I actually have no idea. It's a joke in our department that none of us have the faintest idea how to work these things out and we usually have to either ask our mole in the maths dept how it's done, or to 'fess up and ask the kids to explain it.

I imagine that the Jan boundaries won't be very different to this one, as the papers haven't been very different in terms of difficulty. If the boundaries are low, it's because it's a hard exam, but these things are determined in secret meetings by chief examiners and not really communicated to the footsoldiers on the ground. Personally, I tend to operate in a 'need to know' basis. I know how to teach kids to answer damn well on the paper (6 A*s, 5 As and 1 B, later remarked up to an A on last year's paper ) but I don't need to know how to do the maths. Works for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theproseandpassion)
    How do you work that out?? x
    Our teachers worked it out for us... But to give you an idea, I got full marks in this year's and last year's coursework and a high B in last year's exam. This year's went TERRIBLY though I thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel_Leah)
    Yes that's correct, I saw that the other day! But just to warn you, they will probably be more similar to the June '10 grade boundaries, which were 57/80, rather than Jan '11. I think it's because they are higher for people who have entered in January only having done the course for half the year, I don't think they really think of re-takers tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it 60/80 to get an A, just to be really annoying.
    Seriously FML :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I need to get a high E in this exam for an A overall (fortunately my coursework was v high!) I managed to get a lot of wider reading quotes and some context in, and the essays were well laid out with paragraphs etc, but AO2 (form structure language) was really rather weak... Is there a chance I might get lower than the mark I need?! Do people ever fail completely with passable essays?!
    I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that if all you need to get an A is an E on this paper, you'd probably have to try with both hands to screw it up, but it's always possible to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory if you're determined to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Our teachers worked it out for us... But to give you an idea, I got full marks in this year's and last year's coursework and a high B in last year's exam. This year's went TERRIBLY though I thought!
    You sound a bit like me - a CW junkie and a total exam hater - I got full marks for CW and a few marks off an A for the exam last year - last years exam was horrible - they ripped up my poetry book before the exam!! - Do you think I have a chance of getting an A still? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that if all you need to get an A is an E on this paper, you'd probably have to try with both hands to screw it up, but it's always possible to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory if you're determined to do it.
    Ha thanks, let's hope so!

ReputationRep:
    You sound a bit like me - a CW junkie and a total exam hater - I got full marks for CW and a few marks off an A for the exam last year - last years exam was horrible - they ripped up my poetry book before the exam!! - Do you think I have a chance of getting an A still? x
    Oh and yes, I think you'd probably be the same as me then in needing a high E!

ReputationRep:
    Does that sound right -
    I mean I got an A last year - felt like I scraped an ok mark for the first question and horribly on the second question!! would you say I still stand a chance of getting an A - I got full marks for my Coursework last year (I think I did about the same this year too) thank you

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the exam was THAT bad. I actually enjoyed writing it which I hope is a good sign.

In the talked about how the extracts were about seduction and enticement. How extract A involves Luris trying to connect on an emotional level in an attempt to seduce Melanie, but when he realises they don't connect on that level he simply tries to seduce her in a sexual way, which contrasted to extract B in how the girl and Jude's encounter started off with a physical enticement with the penis being thrown and then we saw the beginning of an emotional relationship symbolised by the bridge. Then I just mentioned the third persona narration, the lack of intimacy and the objectification of women.

Second question I talked about how women were presented as having more emotional attachements to sex than men and how the women were deceived. I linked to wider reading which was streetcar and contrasted to how Blanche was dependent on men, and this contrasted to the drama in how Angellica exited and how Hellena initially refuse Willmore.Then I contrasted to how in the poem women were seen as predators. Theeeen I talked about how the drama showed sexuality and innocene in as seperate by having Angellica and Hellena represent both. Then I contrasted to how the poem showed that these elements can exist within one woman. Then at the end I talked about the value of female chasity and how Willmore valued it and linked to the Miller's tale. I contrasted to the poem in how the narrator seemed to hold regard for women who could blend innocene and sexuality.

Tbh, I either did really well or I completely bombed.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to cry :'(
    I thought I was good at English and I thought initially that I couldn't have done that badly - but looking at what everyone else has written I am pathetic!! I didn't do muvh close language analysis but focussed on broad themes - I got an A last year and desparately wanted an A this year, but the 6 and a half paages I wrote in the exam seem rubbish compared to everyone else - the only thing i want to do is study English Lit - I am gutted :'(
    Please don't be upset. There are many different ways to do well in English and you aren't really thinking straight right now. Coming on here and overanalysing is one of the worst things you can do. It isn't necessary to have everything that people have posted on here in your essay. You will have had things in yours that they won't have thought of too. There is just a little bit of showing off on this thread that you really need to ignore. Other people having interesting ideas and telling you about them doesn't mean that your ideas are worth less than theirs or that all the good ideas have already gone so you can't get any credit for yours. Sometimes, simple straightforward answers can score more highly than complex ones which fall over themselves and become obscure. Chin up. The game's not over until the scores are in. :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElizaM)
    I did this too! i said how in extract c women are portrayed as being more emotionally attached to sexual encounters by men, which is shown through hellena's anger and domination of the speech in the second half of the extract, and rhetorical questions as she demads why willmoore (or whatever his name is) had hurt her. and in the second one i contrasted it by saying how men where presented as the ones who were emotionally attached to sexual encounters and hurt by sexual betrayal and women were the ones acting all willy nilly.

i obviously sounded a bit more precise than that though! ( i hope)

i didnt think the exam was too bad, but saying that i can never tell how something has gone! the first question was fair, i compared it to Jane Eyre.
    and the second question was definatly ALOT harder. i was a bit rushed for time so didnt write tooo much about the poem cos i didnt really get it to be honest! buttttt i rambled and hopefully didnt do disasterously!

but im just glad all my exams are over now! wooo!
    SAME!
    Me and you focused on the same things, and we did the same wider reading.

I REALLY hope I didn't screw up.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?
    We were doing 'Struggle for modern identity' and we had to take in Carol Ann Duffy's the World's Wife in with us and because I had a couple of faint rub outlines on a few pages, the head of English ripped the book up in front of me and told me I couldn't take in any of the poetry when we actually relied on it for the exam!!

If I got an A last year and top marks for my coursework this year - what does that mean I would need in this year's exam to get an overall grade A?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    We were doing 'Struggle for modern identity' and we had to take in Carol Ann Duffy's the World's Wife in with us and because I had a couple of faint rub outlines on a few pages, the head of English ripped the book up in front of me and told me I couldn't take in any of the poetry when we actually relied on it for the exam!!

If I got an A last year and top marks for my coursework this year - what does that mean I would need in this year's exam to get an overall grade A?

Thanks
    RIPPED THE BOOK UP?? Our head of department would eat broken glass before damaging a book! They must have money to burn for new stock! No blank copies available for the exam? Unfortunate. Looks like we spoil our kids. Well, if you got an A without the book last year, full marks on coursework in both years, it looks to me like you can afford to have an off day. As for the actual maths, as I've just said, I'm useless at that - ask the Kitkat to do it - but seriously, I think you're worrying unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to cry :'(
    I thought I was good at English and I thought initially that I couldn't have done that badly - but looking at what everyone else has written I am pathetic!! I didn't do muvh close language analysis but focussed on broad themes - I got an A last year and desparately wanted an A this year, but the 6 and a half paages I wrote in the exam seem rubbish compared to everyone else - the only thing i want to do is study English Lit - I am gutted :'(
    Don't panic! I came out of the exam feeling ok, but tsr has just made me panic!
    Remember, tsr is full of REALLY high achievers, so a little bragging does occur, and also they are a minority of the student population. The examiners are aware you're under stress and they also know mistakes will occur.
    As long as you had a reasonable argument you could back up, and attempted to hit the AOs don't fret.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and yes, I think you'd probably be the same as me then in needing a high E!
    Ok - TheKitKat I was wondering if you could help me by working this out for me -

Last Years exam (which went badly) I got 93/120 UMS
    Last year coursework 76/80
    This years Coursework 78/80

What does this mean for my chances of getting an A overall?

Thank you so much x

ReputationRep:
    Ok - TheKitKat I was wondering if you could help me by working this out for me -

Last Years exam (which went badly) I got 93/120 UMS
    Last year coursework 76/80
    This years Coursework 78/80

What does this mean for my chances of getting an A overall?

Thank you so much x
    Umm well I don't have the formulae my teachers used, but from an educated guestimate... Being pessimistic a C, being optimistic a low D?

ReputationRep:
    Umm well I don't have the formulae my teachers used, but from an educated guestimate... Being pessimistic a C, being optimistic a low D?
    In order to get an A I mean - don't panic, that came out wrong lol!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.