Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do history and sociology at both the University of Manchester and the University of Leeds, but I really can't decide which to put as my first choice. I've been given the same offer for both and have visited both cities and uni's a few times, but I'm finding it impossible to find my preferance. I love the campus/uni at Leeds, but I love Manchester as a city. I need to choose as soon as possible so I can begin to apply for accomodation, so I'd be grateful for any input?Manchester or Leeds??
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you prefer the campus/uni at Leeds, I'd personally go for Leeds as that would be more important for me since they're both city universities.

ReputationRep:
    the only thing that really swaying me between the two is that Leeds is smaller than Manchester - and I'm not really sure I want to go and live in a HUGE city, but that's the only way I've chosen between the Mets in each city ready for application!

ReputationRep:
    thats true, although it felt like the students at manchester uni were more laid back whereas Leeds they seemed more sporty and intimidating, although that's probably a horrible generalisation and obviously I havnt met every single person from the Uni, was just the vibe I got :s and the course is more flexible at Manchester. Is Manchester bigger than Leeds? I always thought it was but someone recently told me Leeds is in fact busier, so im pretty confused :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiemo)
    I've applied to do history and sociology at both the University of Manchester and the University of Leeds, but I really can't decide which to put as my first choice. I've been given the same offer for both and have visited both cities and uni's a few times, but I'm finding it impossible to find my preferance. I love the campus/uni at Leeds, but I love Manchester as a city. I need to choose as soon as possible so I can begin to apply for accomodation, so I'd be grateful for any input?Manchester or Leeds??
    thanks
    nothing between the universities, your ONLY deciding factor should be where you want to live for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation but can't decide. For Politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodcarter)
    I'm in the same situation but can't decide. For Politics
    Hey, so am i! for Politics and Sociology..what did you end up picking? i really want to get accomodation sorted, but just cant decide on a firm choice.!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vee.k)
    Hey, so am i! for Politics and Sociology..what did you end up picking? i really want to get accomodation sorted, but just cant decide on a firm choice.!

Think I'm gonna go for Leeds but haven't fully decided yet. You?

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaning towards Leeds too, just not too certain either.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that generally speaking Manc is the better one. Obv im biased coz they're my firm, but they are the most targeted uni in the country, ahead of oxbridge even, plus they have the best career's service in the country. They're also in the top 5 for the strongest research and they've have a more international recognition.

Ofc, it's academic reputation is subjective to what you're studying. For history the two would be on par academically, but Manc still seems like the place where you'd be more employable when you graduate, because of how targetted they are and they're career's service :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4RealBlud)
    I personally think that generally speaking Manc is the better one. Obv im biased coz they're my firm, but they are the most targeted uni in the country, ahead of oxbridge even, plus they have the best career's service in the country. They're also in the top 5 for the strongest research and they've have a more international recognition.

Ofc, it's academic reputation is subjective to what you're studying. For history the two would be on par academically, but Manc still seems like the place where you'd be more employable when you graduate, because of how targetted they are and they're career's service :dontknow:
    It's true but I have to counter that with the fact that Leeds seems to have the better standard of living with cheaper 2nd year accommodation. A better SU, better sports facilities and is more studenty overall.

ReputationRep:
    It's true but I have to counter that with the fact that Leeds seems to have the better standard of living with cheaper 2nd year accommodation. A better SU, better sports facilities and is more studenty overall.
    Yh, but it's not like you will have THAT much of a better time compared to Manchester. They're both one the best for nightlife and shiz. You'll still have the time of your life and you wouldn't care that you could have more, because you're happy anyway. At the end of the day you have a choice between better prospects and having a slightly better time. It's a no brainer for me. But for a course like History and Sociology the job prospects at Manc are as much better as Leeds is better than Manc, in terms of having a good time. It's really all down to you, but in these economic times, having slightly better prospects could be the difference between getting a job or not. The best career's service in the country would surely help.

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats what i figured too..and plus Leeds is a campus based uni, whereas Manchester's not..so as much as id want to be in a big city, i think i opt for the one that's a bit more 'studenty' too. But still cannot decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vee.k)
    yeah thats what i figured too..and plus Leeds is a campus based uni, whereas Manchester's not..so as much as id want to be in a big city, i think i opt for the one that's a bit more 'studenty' too. But still cannot decide.
    Lol glad someone's in the same position as me. Think I'm gonna go for Leeds though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vee.k)
    If it helps im doing Politics and Sociology too and have Leeds as a firm and Manchester as an insurance and the only thing that helped me decide was that the course at Leeds is WAY more interesting

ReputationRep:
    How different are the course modules?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna firm Leeds and put Manchester as my insurance soon.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter which one you pick, they're both big city universities. I picked Leeds because it wanted me to get an A in German and Manchester wanted an A in anything, but I'd have been equally happy at Manchester. It doesn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    It doesn't really matter which one you pick, they're both big city universities. I picked Leeds because it wanted me to get an A in German and Manchester wanted an A in anything, but I'd have been equally happy at Manchester. It doesn't really matter.
    No it obviously does matter considering the different course content, campus layout, student satisfaction ratings, differing employment prospects and domestic/international ranking gap.

ReputationRep:
    In defence of Manchester,on the Oxford Road campus and in Fallowfield it is VERY 'studenty', but you also get the advantage of living in the capital of the north. It is a massive city but you don't have to get lost in the crowd-the societies and student life in general is great. I like Leeds, but it is smaller and I feel it's less diverse.

Manchester's careers service is excellent, even for a part time job I could get a careers advisor read my CV and interview prep me on the same day as I requested an appointment.

Manchester is better than Leeds for sport-it still has all the facilities from hosting the Commonwealth games and of course is home to two of Europes best football teams. You can access olympic sized pools, astroturf, courts for pretty much anything, and of course in the wider area there is a velodrome and a ski slope. There are generous bursaries as well as coaching and nurturing for those who are talented at sport.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2013
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.