Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Let the great middle class jealous whinge begin!!

ReputationRep:
    Guess il have to get a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Let the great middle class jealous whinge begin!!
    Maybe some middle class people are a bit worse off than you have just generalised.
    I didn't qualify for EMA last year, as my dad was in a short term contract job the year before. However, since nearly 2 years ago my dad has been unemployed, and my mum is working on her own for our family of six, inlcuding my disabled brother.

I would qualify for EMA this year had it not been removed. Am I middle class? Possibly yes.

There is my whinge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilko94)
    Maybe some middle class people are a bit worse off than you have just generalised.
    I didn't qualify for EMA last year, as my dad was in a short term contract job the year before. However, since nearly 2 years ago my dad has been unemployed, and my mum is working on her own for our family of six, inlcuding my disabled brother.

I would qualify for EMA this year had it not been removed. Am I middle class? Possibly yes.

There is my whinge.
    No offence but obviously you are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    No offence but obviously you are not.
    Class based on current income? No you're right.

My family was a middle class family before my dad became unemployed, but we still have the same lifestyle with minor cutbacks to make savings. I'll let you make your own opinion now.

ReputationRep:
    Class based on current income? No you're right.

My family was a middle class family before my dad became unemployed, but we still have the same lifestyle with minor cutbacks to make savings. I'll let you make your own opinion now.
    Well may I ask if you are still living a middle class lifestyle what your objections are? Educational allowance at college is not a right and rightly should only be for those who need it most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Well may I ask if you are still living a middle class lifestyle what your objections are? Educational allowance at college is not a right and rightly should only be for those who need it most.
    Unfortunately, I can't get on the bus with a middle class lifestyle, and I don't think Amazon accept that as payments for books either.

My objection is to the OP's original statement, suggesting all middle class people moaned about EMA, even though they had the money to not need it.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, I can't get on the bus with a middle class lifestyle, and I don't think Amazon accept that as payments for books either.

My objection is to the OP's original statement, suggesting all middle class people moaned about EMA, even though they had the money to not need it.
    OK fair enough. Obviously your personal life is your personal life, but perhaps your family should cut back more if you can't afford bus travel or books? Your situation might be different and I don't want to pry but I know alot of people that claim to be dirt poor but have Satellite television, broadband internet, all three games consoles and go on the piss every other night.

ReputationRep:

English not your first language then?

ReputationRep:
    i've read the articles.. seen the news.. but i still don't know what all these 'proposals' mean to me! anyone else think they need to make it a bit more clear? by the way.. i currently recieve EMA - £30 and i am on free school meals so if anyone could make this a bit clearer it would be much appreciated

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.