Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had always thought it looked a pretty reasonable course.
    But guardian subject tables put it at 75th!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifthelement7)
    I have no idea why they're ranked so low, I mean they ask for pretty decent grades, isn't it AAB?

ReputationRep:
    Take the subject tables with a pinch of salt: it's not the rankings you want to look at, but the individual data.

80% of the Students on the English course at Goldsmiths are "satisfied with their course".
    90% of the Students on the English course at Goldsmiths are "satisfied with the teaching"
    73% of the Students on the English course at Goldsmiths are "satisfied with their feedback"
    The Average Student enters the course with 349 UCAS points (AAB)

These all seem fairly good figures.

However, Guardian says that only 49% of graduates get a job after 6 months (and this is any job, whether you're a high-flying graduate or working in a shop)
    of the graduates with a job after 6 months: 21% are retail cashiers or sales assistants

And the spending rank is only 3/10 - very low compared to the other colleges. Partly because Goldsmiths is quite a small university.

You can also check unistats.com
    According to Unistats, 89% of graduates from Goldsmiths' English course have a job or are in postgrad study.
    However only 37% of graduates from Goldsmiths get a graduate job after 6 months.

As an ex-Goldsmiths student myself: I STRONGLY suggest you look around all five of your choices in person before making ANY choices. Not looking around Goldsmiths before I went there was one of the biggest (and most expensive) mistakes of my life that led to me dropping out. Which would have never happened if I had just looked around some unis before I made a choice.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian league table is really weird, it generally differs to most tables. Unistats puts English at Goldsmiths at 34th for academic standard of students it admits and the Complete University Guide puts it as 36th. As with all statistics, I'm a little wary.

ReputationRep:
    thanks!
    what put you off Goldsmiths in the end, screenager2004,
    if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    thanks!
    what put you off Goldsmiths in the end, screenager2004,
    if you don't mind me asking?
    Lots of things. But mostly it was 2008, we were slipping into recession and I was worried about my career prospects. I'd never had a job, I was doing a subject that wasn't very academic (Media Studies) and Goldsmiths wasn't ranked very high.

However: I have always stressed that there's no such thing as a 'bad uni' - University is about what you bring to the uni experience. I just did not suit Goldsmiths as an individual, and I felt like I'd benefit from a gap year to gain some work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CathySarah)
    The Guardian league table is really weird, it generally differs to most tables. Unistats puts English at Goldsmiths at 34th for academic standard of students it admits and the Complete University Guide puts it as 36th. As with all statistics, I'm a little wary.
    where did you find the unistats table?

ReputationRep:
    where did you find the unistats table?
    Unistats website > Subject A-Z > Languages > English-based studies > English Studies:

when the first table came up, I sorted it by "average UCAS points achieved", its the 4th down on the 4th page, and there are 10 per page, so its 34th. You can click on "GOLSDSMITHS COLLEGE" for more statistics about English there.

ReputationRep:
    okay this is scaring me. I've confirmed my acceptance at Goldsmiths for English. I thought it was fairly good, i never imagined the ranking to drop to 75. however, is there still a way to apply to other colleges through ucas, despite the fact that i have confirmed at Goldsmiths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmela)
    okay this is scaring me. I've confirmed my acceptance at Goldsmiths for English. I thought it was fairly good, i never imagined the ranking to drop to 75. however, is there still a way to apply to other colleges through ucas, despite the fact that i have confirmed at Goldsmiths?
    If you've looked round Goldsmiths and you liked it and you liked the sound of the course, then why would you want to do that? Don't be hasty!

I currently study English at Goldsmiths and I absolutely love it! The course is really interesting and all of the lecturers are experts in their specific fields.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Mercenary Beaches.

ReputationRep:
    I also applied for English at Goldsmiths and thought it would be among my two first choices (I applied for KCL, QMUL, Reading and bloody Westminster), but after I got an unconditional offer from QMUL I did some further research and dropped the thought of firming Goldsmiths!

I think it very much depends on the field you want to work in later, if you are aiming for a career in the journalism area (speaking of classic prestigious newspapers or magazines etc.) or a job in the area of (higher) education & research - you should probably choose an English course at another university than Goldsmiths, something more respectable in classic humanistic understandings with a good traditional reputation (e.g. Queen Mary, Oxford, Birkbeck or KCL) because that would be what those (very often rather conservative) employers will be looking for!
    If you want to go for a career in the New Media sector such as TV/Advertising/Publishing or sth similar, you should consider the benefits Goldsmiths has to offer with its artsy ambience and alternative teaching approaches, not to mention the most likely much more vibrant student's scene on the Campus because of its excellent and internationally acknowledged Arts department.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveribena)
    If you've looked round Goldsmiths and you liked it and you liked the sound of the course, then why would you want to do that? Don't be hasty!

I currently study English at Goldsmiths and I absolutely love it! The course is really interesting and all of the lecturers are experts in their specific fields.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.
    i probably won't drop it, but i'm just a bit apprehensive. i do like Goldsmiths and I was thrilled when I got accepted. i personally dont understand all these League Tables, and im gonna go with my gut and stick to Goldsmiths! If i dont end up liking it i can always transfer to another University of London college right? but i hope that won't be the case. and yes i would like to know what they asked you to read up on before starting the course?

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian table has put Westminster, East London and Glamorgan above Goldsmiths. According to my research, that can't be right! Plus according to this table, Goldsmiths is at number 36. So i think all these tables are just there to confuse us. cheez

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8727

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmela)
    i probably won't drop it, but i'm just a bit apprehensive. i do like Goldsmiths and I was thrilled when I got accepted. i personally dont understand all these League Tables, and im gonna go with my gut and stick to Goldsmiths! If i dont end up liking it i can always transfer to another University of London college right? but i hope that won't be the case. and yes i would like to know what they asked you to read up on before starting the course?
    Goldsmiths generally moves up and down the legue table, i don't understand it either - a few years ago, it was 18th in the UK overall!
    They don't really ask you to read anything before the course starts, but they'll give you a reading list in the freshers pack you'll get sent once you'vr accepted your place after results day.
    But, i'll send you the reading list that I had for my first year, but it may not be completely accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms. Bukowski)
    I also applied for English at Goldsmiths and thought it would be among my two first choices (I applied for KCL, QMUL, Reading and bloody Westminster), but after I got an unconditional offer from QMUL I did some further research and dropped the thought of firming Goldsmiths!

I think it very much depends on the field you want to work in later, if you are aiming for a career in the journalism area (speaking of classic prestigious newspapers or magazines etc.) or a job in the area of (higher) education & research - you should probably choose an English course at another university than Goldsmiths, something more respectable in classic humanistic understandings with a good traditional reputation (e.g. Queen Mary, Oxford, Birkbeck or KCL) because that would be what those (very often rather conservative) employers will be looking for!
    If you want to go for a career in the New Media sector such as TV/Advertising/Publishing or sth similar, you should consider the benefits Goldsmiths has to offer with its artsy ambience and alternative teaching approaches, not to mention the most likely much more vibrant student's scene on the Campus because of its excellent and internationally acknowledged Arts department.

Good luck!
    I got into Comparative Literary Studies at Goldsmith... but I am a little skeptical about going there now. I'm not from the UK so jobs are not really a problem for me. I am more interested in academic prospects; the quality of research that goes on at the college... would you say that a Goldsmith student had a good chance of getting into say... KCL for a PhD?

ReputationRep:
    haha my friends brother took 6 years to complete BA English at Goldsmiths but that was his own fault.

ReputationRep:
    They don't really ask you to read anything before the course starts, but they'll give you a reading list in the freshers pack you'll get sent once you've accepted your place after results day.
    I was expected to have read pretty much everything on the course! And if you can i would encourage you to read as much as possible because when the essays start coming time seems to run out. I'm just finishing my second year of english at Goldsmiths and, whilst i'm not exactly happy with the uni, the course itself is very thorough, the first year especially gives you a very good grounding in the history of literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by literature)
    I got into Comparative Literary Studies at Goldsmith... but I am a little skeptical about going there now. I'm not from the UK so jobs are not really a problem for me. I am more interested in academic prospects; the quality of research that goes on at the college... would you say that a Goldsmith student had a good chance of getting into say... KCL for a PhD?
    Goldsmiths still enjoys an outstanding reputation in certain fields of teaching, especially in their Art and Social Degree Courses. Tbh, due to my personal research I don't think though their reputation for language courses (esp. English) is very good, partly because of their academic research. But also not bad at all, on the other hand! I would never suggest so. to explicitly NOT study there, because Goldsmiths still is a widely recognised name, but referring to your very career ambitions, I would consider the fact that this is probably not a university that will be a multiplicator in your approach to academic excellence (as a PhD at KCL or Oxford). But of course, rankings and reputation are only one aspect you should consider. What you earn from your studies is still down to you and what you bring in during your time at university, and I'm sure that if you're going to study at Goldsmiths and be excellent, you would definitely stand the same chances for an 'elite' PhD as a graduate from a more prestigious English course!

ReputationRep:
    I got into KCL, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths and eugh, westminster....
    For comparitive literature and I cant wait to start at Goldsmiths
    It was easily my first choice! The league tables mean nothing! Goldsmiths is my lowest rated...
    I'm getting AAAB at A level! Its about the style that you work at eveyone ive spoken to that goes to Goldsmiths says its amazing! I just wish i was there now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 6, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.