A Level choice advice? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to college/Sixth Form in September, and have so far chosen:
    Maths
    Physics
    Spanish
    Computing

And I'm not sure whether to choose a fifth (Biology). Would you recommend doing a fifth, and hen maybe dropping one after the first year to carry on with four for A2?
    And also, do these choices seem good, and do they go well together? I'm not sure on what I want to do for a job when I leave college, and I don't know if I should go to university anymore due to educational fees etc.

Did any of you take anything similar to me? If so, any opinions/thoughts would be appreciated, and if you think I would be better to change a few of my choices, please state :-)

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    danny: your subjects are fine but maybe typical of someone who isnt quite sure what they want to do after college it sounds like youre considering two science subjects, computing and maths so i think it sounds like a science-y course at uni might be what youre thinking of (if the fees havent deterred you.. and i wouldnt worry about fees just yet). if that is the case, which would you say most appeals to you at the moment, if any at all?

i would recommend taking a fifth subject to start with because you can always drop out after a few weeks if youre finding the workload too much. nobody would ever have to find out that you dropped a subject in the first few weeks so you might as well give it a go if you cant decide what you want to do - that way, you can get a feel for more subjects and think about which ones you would want to continue with.

if you have no idea what you want to do after college, its hard to recommend what subjects to take but if you think you might want to do physics or maths at uni, then AS or A level further maths are veru useful (im only saying that because its the route ive gone down, i dont really know about applying for computer science and languages)

ReputationRep:
    You'll only need 3 at A2. Biology doesn't look like it will hold anymore use to you than just doing the 4 you have there, unless you find you hate two of the others and not Biology. Even if you took Biology then you might find a bit put off taking it any further because you didn't choose Chemistry so effectively it's unlikely to lead anywhere in particular, apart from being useful as 'having another science'. Your other choices are decent though. I found Spanish a lot of work, more so than my others, which might have an impact. I don't know anything about your level of fluency/language capabilities though

Further Maths might be a better one, if you are capable and have the chance - based on what you have then anything Physics/Maths/Engineering/Computing related would look highly upon F. Maths.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    drop computing and choose another science/ a traditional essay subject = perfect set

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK92)
    danny: your subjects are fine but maybe typical of someone who isnt quite sure what they want to do after college it sounds like youre considering two science subjects, computing and maths so i think it sounds like a science-y course at uni might be what youre thinking of (if the fees havent deterred you.. and i wouldnt worry about fees just yet). if that is the case, which would you say most appeals to you at the moment, if any at all?

i would recommend taking a fifth subject to start with because you can always drop out after a few weeks if youre finding the workload too much. nobody would ever have to find out that you dropped a subject in the first few weeks so you might as well give it a go if you cant decide what you want to do - that way, you can get a feel for more subjects and think about which ones you would want to continue with.

if you have no idea what you want to do after college, its hard to recommend what subjects to take but if you think you might want to do physics or maths at uni, then AS or A level further maths are veru useful (im only saying that because its the route ive gone down, i dont really know about applying for computer science and languages)
    Thanks a lot for your reply, its helped a lot. I'm not worrying about fees in the sense that it changes my subject choice, I'm just doubting that I'll be able to afford to go to university really. But yes, If I do get to university, I'm likely to choose something with Physics.
    I'm sure whether to do Further Maths as I've heard it is the hardest A Level to take. What are your opinions? Do you find it hard?

(Original post by Nymthae)
    You'll only need 3 at A2. Biology doesn't look like it will hold anymore use to you than just doing the 4 you have there, unless you find you hate two of the others and not Biology. Even if you took Biology then you might find a bit put off taking it any further because you didn't choose Chemistry so effectively it's unlikely to lead anywhere in particular, apart from being useful as 'having another science'. Your other choices are decent though. I found Spanish a lot of work, more so than my others, which might have an impact. I don't know anything about your level of fluency/language capabilities though

Further Maths might be a better one, if you are capable and have the chance - based on what you have then anything Physics/Maths/Engineering/Computing related would look highly upon F. Maths.
    Yeah, a lot of people are saying to take Further Maths, just depends on the difficulty of it. Thanks for your reply

(Original post by tateco)
    drop computing and choose another science/ a traditional essay subject = perfect set
    Lots of people are taking three sciences though, and also, I don't enjoy Chemistry very much.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dannyr)
    Lots of people are taking three sciences though, and also, I don't enjoy Chemistry very much.
    Lots of people take three sciences because it's a good academic set... I didn't say you should take three sciences, just not computing, choose something more traditional like lit or history

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure whether to do Further Maths as I've heard it is the hardest A Level to take. What are your opinions? Do you find it hard?

Yeah, a lot of people are saying to take Further Maths, just depends on the difficulty of it. Thanks for your reply

For further maths the applied modules are just different, not harder than, normal maths a0level. Further pure is slightly harder but no-one I know who is taking it finds it to be too bad and I think it is actually easier than the Core modules you do in the normal a-level. Plus further maths and normal maths overlap a lot so its less work than 2 completely different subjects.

If you don't like chem then you probably shouldn't take it, I am doing it and it is a lot harder at A-level than it was at GCSE and all my friends say the same but that might just be at our school :P

ReputationRep:
    Further maths isnt harder, just more. I'd recommend this instead of biology as biology doesnt really go with your other choices and its pretty hard to do well in. definitely stick with maths as its good for pretty much all science degrees

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your reply, its helped a lot. I'm not worrying about fees in the sense that it changes my subject choice, I'm just doubting that I'll be able to afford to go to university really. But yes, If I do get to university, I'm likely to choose something with Physics.
    well there are loans and everything set up in case youre worried. i am from a very low income background and will get the full loans and grants, but i dont think you should let money put you off doing something if you decide that you really want to study a subject at uni.

further maths is one of the hardest a levels, but its not impossible by any means. in my opinion, its the most interesting subject and im willing to do the work whereas i find myself feeling reluctant to do chemistry homeworks. if youre considering physics as a possible choice, i definitely recommend signing up for further maths to test how you find it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.