Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can't society accept that awkward situtations happen? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that when something happens that is awkward for both people involved, we can't just accept that awkward situations happen. We always go and make it more awkward.

For example, whenever there is an awkward silence, both people involved desperately try to think of something to say and just come out with something stupid. Is it not inevitable that at some point in our lives, there will be a brief moment where there is nothing of particular importance to talk about?

Or when someone does something embarassing, like singing really badly, you see them going red and getting embarassed. Instead of thinking "ah well, it happens to all of us" we just sit there feeling uncomfortable, embarassed for them.

The fact is, this happens to all of us. If society could just accept that sometimes we do stupid and embarassing things, these situations needn't be awkard, right?

(Original post by lukas1051)
    Or when someone does something embarassing, like singing really badly, you see them going red and getting embarassed. Instead of thinking "ah well, it happens to all of us" we just sit there feeling uncomfortable, embarassed for them.

The fact is, this happens to all of us. If society could just accept that sometimes we do stupid and embarassing things, these situations needn't be awkard, right?
    An example I used a while back: You're having sex with a girl, and at climax/orgasm you scream out your mother's name. So it happens to all of us? :awesome:

Also socially awkward penguin is pretty awesome in describing socially awkward situations. Don't take any of these too seriously:
    • Chair noise sounds like fart - desperately attempt to recreate
    • Don't understand what someone says, ask to repeat, still don't understand. Laugh and hope it wasn't a question
    • Somebody bumps into you - say sorry
    • Someone confronts you - win fight in imagination later on
    • Ring bus early by accident, get off early.
    • Nothing to contribute to conversation - check your phone
    • Walk into a bathroom and someone is there - act like you came in there to wash hands and leave
    • Waiter says enjoy your food, you say 'you too'.
    • "Happy birthday" - "you too"
    • "Now class, find a partner"
    • Say goodbye, start walking the same way
    • Hold door for person behind you, they are slightly too far away.

I've noticed that when awkwardness does occur, people take out their mobiles and pretend to be deeply interested in texts they received days ago.

ReputationRep:
    Well, with acceptance....Awkward situations wouldn't be so funny, would they....
    I always laugh thinking about them later on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I've noticed that when awkwardness does occur, people take out their mobiles and pretend to be deeply interested in texts they received days ago.
    Mobile phones are SOOO useful in awkward situations, forget communication, that is their main function.

ReputationRep:
    This is what awkward turtle was made for.

ReputationRep:
    An example I used a while back: You're having sex with a girl, and at climax/orgasm you scream out your mother's name. So it happens to all of us? :awesome:

Also socially awkward penguin is pretty awesome in describing socially awkward situations. Don't take any of these too seriously:
    • Don't understand what someone says, ask to repeat, still don't understand. Laugh and hope it wasn't a question
    • Walk into a bathroom and someone is there - act like you came in there to wash hands and leave

Say goodbye and start walking the same way LOL

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same, it just makes me question their intelligence

ReputationRep:

Hahaha, I like those, they're all very true. Thank god for mobile phones, the saviour of us all!

ReputationRep:
    You do tend to laugh at them later on, or when you recall (after a few years) something particularly embarrassing you pull a funny face or facepalm and just wish you could forget.
    You wish you could forget but do you really wish you would forget ? since with them it wouldnt be funny in the first place :P Oh well I'm the dude who likes to say "AWKWARD TURTLE" in a awkward way in a awkward situation :P Btw epic name :borat::dancing2:

ReputationRep:
    Seeing people you know in supermarkets, talk, say goodbye, then they stalk you, every ailse you go down they are there.

ReputationRep:

LOL I love that penguin

Pretend you're on the phone to someone - phone starts ringing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually a bit of social throw back when it comes to awkward-ness, in the sense that for the past four years or so I just haven't felt it! If there's a silence between myself and someone then I don't feel the need to fill it. If I see someone who's embarrassed I just smile at them to give them some encouragement rather than feel embarrassed too.

I'm not sure what exactly triggered this, but my guess would be it has something to do with the fact I've been through a lot with an illness of mine that caused me to move schools three times in a couple of years and even be an in patient on a mental health ward for children. I've also done various courses of study with different people.

ReputationRep:

LOL almost all of those have happened to me at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    Why is it that when something happens that is awkward for both people involved, we can't just accept that awkward situations happen. We always go and make it more awkward.

For example, whenever there is an awkward silence, both people involved desperately try to think of something to say and just come out with something stupid. Is it not inevitable that at some point in our lives, there will be a brief moment where there is nothing of particular importance to talk about?

No, people have different personalities. Some are more vain, others don't like to be shown up. Get over it, and stop trying to change things to suit your own liking.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Society does accept awkward situations...
    Hence the phrase, '**** happens'.

ReputationRep:

All true for me (except the hand-washing and "you too" ones. I hate it when you have no idea what someone is saying but don't want to say "what?" more than three times so just end up giong "yeaah..." and hoping that washes...

The door thing is so annoying lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    Society does accept awkward situations...
    Hence the phrase, '**** happens'.
    People never say that.

**** happens is just pop culture. Only dopes believe in pop culture since it has no substance.

ReputationRep:
    "Well this is awkward"
    "Haha... yeah... (now it's even more awkward you stupid ****)"

ReputationRep:
    john travolta picks up on this in pulp fiction - if you haven't watched it, i suggest you do it ASAP, the film rocks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.