Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ive applied for pharmacy but not sure whether i want to do it. i might get the grades for bradford pharmacy but optometry ask for aaa i cud possibly get that if i retake a yr but i fall in the 9000 catorgory. is it worth it to retake the yr. or shall i just do pharmacy cuz i may learn to like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D*Star)
    ive applied for pharmacy but not sure whether i want to do it. i might get the grades for bradford pharmacy but optometry ask for aaa i cud possibly get that if i retake a yr but i fall in the 9000 catorgory. is it worth it to retake the yr. or shall i just do pharmacy cuz i may learn to like it.
    Getting AAA doesn't necessarily mean you will enjoy optometry, in that case a year out out will not be worth it. But, if you think optometry is for you and didn't apply for it because you thought you wouldn't get the grades, then a year out would be worth it in the long run

Do the course which you think you will enjoy the most. & is it not possible for you to re-sit a few exams now, get higher grades and you may have a chance of getting into Optometry at Bradford through clearing?

ReputationRep:
    Just go with pharmacy. It is much better paid than optometry and there are more jobs in pharmacy than optometry.

I have actually spoken to a optometrist and he said that the optometry market is becoming saturated and a lot of optometrists are struggling.

Pharmacy would be the safer choice, but if you want to do optometry then do it.

Are you Asian by the way? There seem to be far too many Asians in optometry. I am Asian myself, so I am not being racist or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Ive applied to Optometry and already work in an optical store. The market for optics is saturated from a selling point of view but companies are ALWAYS looking for optoms, as many are now going locum and charging a fortune and only working a few days a week. There will always be jobs in the NHS for optometrists and within larger companies too. Only really independant practices that are a problem. optometry is a difficult subject and there is no point in putting yourself through the pain if you're not really interested in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to braford for optometry throughy extra. Has anyone else tried that? if they have did u get interviewed? and wat are the chances of getting an offer through extra for optometry at bradford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabbu)
    I'm thinking of applying to braford for optometry throughy extra. Has anyone else tried that? if they have did u get interviewed? and wat are the chances of getting an offer through extra for optometry at bradford?
    Highly unlikely, especially this year, as the tuition fees are going up next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D*Star)
    tbf if you really want to do optometry but are not sure because you might not get teh grades i think that you should still go fro it and just take a year of to resit
    i know someone who wants to do opyometry but shes still determiined even though she thinks she might not get the grades
    and tbh in the long run itll be better for you so go for what you enjoy and what you want to do and aim to get the grades
    btw can i ask what you got in your GCSE'S

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.