Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am so frustrated about my chances of becoming a teacher! I need help please :) ! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tr07mtt)
    kimbles: I'm sorry but that is absolutely baloney! ANY PGCE course no matter where it is places a lot of emphasis on your qualifications both when selecting candidates for selecting candidates for interview. The fact is qualifications do matter.
    well.. obviously not!!! I am living proof of that so ... check your facts before dismissing mine!!

ReputationRep:
    and another thing!! I think i was clear that I did not dismiss the importance of qualifications, however my point, howeverso lost in transit for you, was that there are more important things to consider when looking at potentially good teachers to train!

From a senior leader in the PGCE programme and I quote ' we do not rely on qualifications to select our candidates, we look at the person and not the paper' QED

ReputationRep:
    kimbles you stated that Sheffield Hallam didn't place much importance on qualifications which is flat out wrong. I have just been through the selection process. Sorry but you are wrong to say that like it or not pal.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise trying to get a job as a pe teaching assistant that you know offers GTPs then when they get to know you, they may offer you one but obviously finding pe ta postions is easier said than done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimbles)
    and another thing!! I think i was clear that I did not dismiss the importance of qualifications, however my point, howeverso lost in transit for you, was that there are more important things to consider when looking at potentially good teachers to train!

From a senior leader in the PGCE programme and I quote ' we do not rely on qualifications to select our candidates, we look at the person and not the paper' QED
    And just to add in terms of the debates about the importance of qualifications teaching is becoming more and more popular and training places are being cut making training places more competitive than ever before I think for someone with below average qualifications to get onto a PGCE these days would be although not impossible, very exceptional particularly for a non shortage subject and thats without even mentioning the shift with Micheal Gove on even greater emphasis on qualifications than there was before

ReputationRep:
    The standard of typing by some prospective teachers :facepalm2:

OP - I don't think anyone should be entering teaching with a 3rd class degree.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have been searching the internet for advice on this subject.

A GTP is completly out of the question unless a school has money in there budget to fund the fees and pay the wage of the GTP student. I received clarification yesterday that this will be the case.

I am an Early years professional and have work for many years in this area gaining professional qualifications on the way. However in my final year at Uni nearly over 15 years ago I had an upheaval and my results were not what I would of liked. but under the circumstances I was glad to of completed and passed.

The TDA told me I could apply for a PGCE, with the degree class I hold, but everywhere I have looked it says 2:2 and above.

The deputy at the school I work at talked to several contacts at the uni's and the outcome from all was it did not matter if I undertook another another degree it will be my first degree that will count. And no funding will be available.

If anyone else knows of other routes that experienced, proven and capable prospective teachers can do then please let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aachmum)
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have been searching the internet for advice on this subject.

A GTP is completly out of the question unless a school has money in there budget to fund the fees and pay the wage of the GTP student. I received clarification yesterday that this will be the case.

I am an Early years professional and have work for many years in this area gaining professional qualifications on the way. However in my final year at Uni nearly over 15 years ago I had an upheaval and my results were not what I would of liked. but under the circumstances I was glad to of completed and passed.

The TDA told me I could apply for a PGCE, with the degree class I hold, but everywhere I have looked it says 2:2 and above.

The deputy at the school I work at talked to several contacts at the uni's and the outcome from all was it did not matter if I undertook another another degree it will be my first degree that will count. And no funding will be available.

If anyone else knows of other routes that experienced, proven and capable prospective teachers can do then please let me know.
    There was certainly at least 1 person on my Primary PGCE at Oxford Brookes who had a 3rd, and loads with 2.2s, that might be worth a look. However, the government are getting stricter on this, so you may be out of luck. (I'm not sure if it's just the PGCE that are going to get stricter, or GTPs too? Would have thought both, otherwise you will still have teachers with poor degrees entering the profession which Gove, rightly or wrongly, wants to avoid.)

I would have thought particularly in your case as you obviously have a lot of time since uni, if you have a lot of relevant experience, they should look at that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aachmum)

Also - you are right about the GTP funding thing. However bare in mind that GTP students are I believe basically treated as teachers from the off - you will have classes to teach and the like. Therefore, in theory, the school could cut back on other, more expensive, teaching staff and might be keen?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    Therefore, in theory, the school could cut back on other, more expensive, teaching staff and might be keen?
    No - GTP trainees are supernumerary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nealwatts1)
    I am so frustrated about my chances of becoming a teacher! I need help please !
    I am in a very confused and bad place at the minute regarding becoming a teacher.

I have a 3rd class degree in sports studies ( I changed courses and struggled in the final year )

I have years of experience in teaching roles, from ages five to eighteen. In primary schools, secondary schools and professional football clubs.

I also have coaching badges in football, Cricket and rugby.

I have applied for secondary school PGCE on the UCAS website and I have constantly been rejected all year.

My time is due to finish as a teaching assistant at the football club I work at soon.

I dont know what to do!!!

1. Go back to university and achieve a better classification (something I really dont want to do)

2. Apply next september for primary PGCE (however I would need to do a science GCSE as I dont have one)

3. Is it possible to be a teacher assistant and have the school put you through your PGCE?

4. I am that fed up of my constant rejections, is it possible to apply for QTS in another country (Australia? America?)
    Just wondering if you managed to get on the course you wanted?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.