Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, it's been announced:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12881747

As a person who gets the full £30 a week and a bus pass, imo the new scheme will be better. I don't really need the £30 a week tbh, just the bus pass . However, it doesn't affect me as (hopefully) I'm off to Uni in September.

So discuss.

Edit: Why the neg?

ReputationRep:
    bumpity bumpity bump

ReputationRep:
    How much do you get under the new scheme? / Who does it apply to?

ReputationRep:
    I've always been of the belief that the money given in EMA shouldn't be in cash form, but rather in vouchers for food, books and travel. Food and travel are what most students NEED (not want) their EMA for, and £30 a week seems quite a lot for that.

ReputationRep:
    Still not enough detail tbh.
    And its a recipe for disaster if its the schools / colleges who are in charge.

edit - I like how I have got negged for this post, yet no-one has disagreed with those two points, and people have agreed with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    This.
    Although I'm glad the see the funding has been increased a bit, and at least it's more targeted now.

Are they still giving cash though? Or is it vouchers now?

ReputationRep:
    i get 30 quid at the moment... will i get £18 a week for bus pass next year? thats all want know.

Knew you would be here.

There are things called self-reliance and making sacrifices and child benefit.

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, a system of vouchers would be much more efficient rather than the cash-in-hand system now operating which effectively costs £570 million for a mere 10% to stay on in education.

Provision of a buspass is more than sufficient, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Knew you would be here.

There are things called self-reliance and making sacrifices and child benefit.
    And what does that have to do with the two points I made?
    We have gone over what we both think of EMA a million times before, so its pointless doing it again and I am not going to go into it.

I am glad there is going to be a replacement for it, but I have two main issues right now. As I said above, but I will explain a little more.

The first is that there isn't a lot of detail about it. Considering it isn't long until people will have to make decisions about where they want to go, I'd like to see the government being more upfront with it.

The second is that it is left in the hands of the colleges / sixth forms. We both know that colleges / sixth form staff are not hugely reliable with things like this. They mess up EMA all the time (not giving it when the student has met all the criteria), and do not stick to the rules (sometimes being too lenient with people skipping lessons etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ears)
    This.
    Although I'm glad the see the funding has been increased a bit, and at least it's more targeted now.

Are they still giving cash though? Or is it vouchers now?
    The funding hasn't been increased!
    It is third the level it was at abolition!
    £180 million as opposed to £560 million
    Some people believe anything!

And what does that have to do with the two points I made?
    We have gone over what we both think of EMA a million times before, so its pointless doing it again and I am not going to go into it.

I am glad there is going to be a replacement for it, but I have two main issues right now. As I said above, but I will explain a little more.

The first is that there isn't a lot of detail about it. Considering it isn't long until people will have to make decisions about where they want to go, I'd like to see the government being more upfront with it.

The second is that it is left in the hands of the colleges / sixth forms. We both know that colleges / sixth form staff are not hugely reliable with things like this. They mess up EMA all the time (not giving it when the student has met all the criteria), and do not stick to the rules (sometimes being too lenient with people skipping lessons etc).
    Of course there's not a lot of detail right now. I'd rather there wasn't that much information on it, than for them to release information, backtrack and have people like you complaining.

What if people make decisions based on what the Government said, and then they turned around and backtracked? Better to be safe than sorry.

Oh really? And you think that the current EMA system is not messed up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misssmarty)
    i get 30 quid at the moment... will i get £18 a week for bus pass next year? thats all want know.
    your bus pass costs £18 a week? gosh where do you live? I felt ripped off my my £10 a week one but I guess I'm getting a bargin

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely sure what this means for current year 12's, I read that those with £30/week are going down to £20, but does that mean £20 and £10/week students get nothing or carry on as normal for next year?

ReputationRep:
    a free bus pass and maybe a £20 quid hmv voucher for the year is more than enough imo
    No cash should be given out

ReputationRep:
    Of course there's not a lot of detail right now. I'd rather there wasn't that much information on it, than for them to release information, backtrack and have people like you complaining.

What if people make decisions based on what the Government said, and then they turned around and backtracked? Better to be safe than sorry.

Oh really? And you think that the current EMA system is not messed up?
    Well yeah of course, but surely the ideas for its replacement should have been pretty much sorted when the idea to scrap it was brought in?
    Oh well. They can't change the fact it was rushed, so you are right in that it is better for it all to be decided on first. Still isn't ideal for people who need to know what support will be available for them though.

And where did I say it isn't?
    I just think that leaving colleges / sixth forms in charge is not a great idea. And the very involvement of those in the current EMA system is actually part of the problem IMO.

Well yeah of course, but surely the ideas for its replacement should have been pretty much sorted when the idea to scrap it was brought in?
    They're not obliged to replace it. It is not a 17 year old's right to get anything from the government tbh.

Oh well. They can't change the fact it was rushed, so you are right in that it is better for it all to be decided on first. Still isn't ideal for people who need to know what support will be available for them though.
    Tough ****.

And where did I say it isn't?
    I just think that leaving colleges / sixth forms in charge is not a great idea. And the very involvement of those in the current EMA system is actually part of the problem IMO.
    I'd rather that than giving the student the money, then they waste it, and complain about not affording the school fare. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think they should just pay travel expenses to those that need it. It was sickening when I was at college, didn't get a penny, yet paid £20 a week for the train. Other students paid only a couple of pound & some didn't even have to pay this yet they got £30 a week.

I hope that help with travel expenses goes past just a bus pass.

ReputationRep:
    I believe all students should get free travel like I used to in London.

ReputationRep:
    They're not obliged to replace it. It is not a 17 year old's right to get anything from the government tbh.

Tough ****.

I'd rather that than giving the student the money, then they waste it, and complain about not affording the school fare. :rolleyes:
    Look, there is no need to bring up previous arguments that have little relevance to this thread. Hell, the other EMA thread is still active if you really want to go over this for the god knows how many time.

My point was that if you are going to replace it (which to be fair, the government did say they were going to do), then it is a good idea to have the replacement in mind first. And this is especially true when it comes to student support. How would you feel having to apply to uni not knowing if you could get a student loan or not? (I know it isn't exactly the same, but the principe still applies, you need to know what is there first).

But that is partly the point though. The very fact the colleges are involved in EMA is partly why it is sometimes wasted. The EMA rules are actually quite strict. But colleges / sixth forms decide to ignore the rules. If the colleges / sixth forms are actually in charge - then god knows what will happen.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.