Turn on thread page Beta

The EMA replacement - views watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    The funding hasn't been increased!
    It is third the level it was at abolition!
    £180 million as opposed to £560 million
    Some people believe anything!
    It has been increased from the coalitions initial 70 (or was it 90) million pound funding which was suggested for targeted support. I know it's not as high as it used to be.

It would be handy if they hurried and made a decision as it will probably impact my sixth form choice whether I get transport money or not.

ReputationRep:
    Put it like this. I have spent £30 in total since September on pens/paper/files etc. Since frigging SEPTEMBER. £30 for 6 months, not a frigging week.

Now, a free/subsidized bus pass you say? Yes please. Mine cost me £580 this year, and it will be more next year because of fuel increases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    They're not obliged to replace it. It is not a 17 year old's right to get anything from the government tbh.

Tough ****.

I'd rather that than giving the student the money, then they waste it, and complain about not affording the school fare. :rolleyes:
    Shutup you clueless self-righteous japseye

ReputationRep:
    Too vague. I need more details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ears)
    It would be handy if they hurried and made a decision as it will probably impact my sixth form choice whether I get transport money or not.
    That is exactly the point I was making about the lack of detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Accalia)
    I'm curious to know the other aspects of this scheme, for example if they take into account attendance or grades.

Plus, what's happening to those students getting £20 or £10 a week? It only seems to mention the plan for those getting £30.
    Well assuming that the government say they're only going to help the poorest students, they will get nothing?

ReputationRep:
    I dont know one person who gets EMA who actually needs it. Including myself
    (well did I forgot to apply this year)

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    My point was that if you are going to replace it (which to be fair, the government did say they were going to do), then it is a good idea to have the replacement in mind first. And this is especially true when it comes to student support. How would you feel having to apply to uni not knowing if you could get a student loan or not? (I know it isn't exactly the same, but the principe still applies, you need to know what is there first).
    Catch-22.

You're complaining now as you haven't got the information now.
    You would be complaining then if they had more details and backtracked.

So, in this situation, better to be safe than sorry.

But that is partly the point though. The very fact the colleges are involved in EMA is partly why it is sometimes wasted. The EMA rules are actually quite strict. But colleges / sixth forms decide to ignore the rules. If the colleges / sixth forms are actually in charge - then god knows what will happen.
    Really? Yet how come THE STUDENTS waste the money? (Don't tell me it's a minority).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    Well assuming that the government say they're only going to help the poorest students, they will get nothing?
    They haven't specified, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. I hate having to infer things.

ReputationRep:
    They haven't specified, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. I hate having to infer things.
    it definitely is!

That £20 is my weed money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Catch-22.

You're complaining now as you haven't got the information now.
    You would be complaining then if they had more details and backtracked.

So, in this situation, better to be safe than sorry.

Really? Yet how come THE STUDENTS waste the money? (Don't tell me it's a minority).
    Agreed on the first point. But it really should have been thought out before. The situation we have now, then yes, it is better to be safe than sorry. But it does mean that people will either have to wait longer to choose where they are going to study next year, or choose the place without having the information they need.

But again, that is not the point.
    What I am trying to explain is that quite often colleges / sixth forms blatantly ignore the rules on paying EMA. It should not be paid if the student is missing lessons, yet sadly a number of colleges / sixth forms do not enforce that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    it definitely is!

That £20 is my weed money

im so academic is going to have a field-day with this.

ReputationRep:

im so academic is going to have a field-day with this.
    Been there, done that (look in my hatterz sig)]

Arh its passed her bedtime!

ReputationRep:
    Finally. And yeah I agree it should be in the form of vouchers or a bus pass or books so people can't file false claims. I.e. student files claim for a book, college buys for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    your bus pass costs £18 a week? gosh where do you live? I felt ripped off my my £10 a week one but I guess I'm getting a bargin
    I have to pay £575 for the year for the college bus -_-

also, if I got the public bus its £2.40 a day and It would take me 2 buses and a 20 minute walk, which makes 1 and a half hour journey give or take dependant on traffic and I would have to leave my house at 7 and only get home at half 5 so would miss training and be shattered!

Bus prices are ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed on the first point. But it really should have been thought out before. The situation we have now, then yes, it is better to be safe than sorry. But it does mean that people will either have to wait longer to choose where they are going to study next year, or choose the place without having the information they need.

But again, that is not the point.
    What I am trying to explain is that quite often colleges / sixth forms blatantly ignore the rules on paying EMA. It should not be paid if the student is missing lessons, yet sadly a number of colleges / sixth forms do not enforce that.
    YES! Someone understands! My school is awful for it! We had to sign a contract for our EMA and it was very harsh, but then they don't support it at all!

I'm glad about the £20 a week thing though - I pay 'rent' to my parents so that we have enough money to keep ourselves above the poverty line I'm not bitter though, we have a decent life, and we probably could live without it.

So yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLightyear)
    I have to pay £575 for the year for the college bus -_-

also, if I got the public bus its £2.40 a day and It would take me 2 buses and a 20 minute walk, which makes 1 and a half hour journey give or take dependant on traffic and I would have to leave my house at 7 and only get home at half 5 so would miss training and be shattered!

Bus prices are ridiculous!
    ouch, well it sounds like the new scheme should still pay for that.. hopefully

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad they're changing it. Nobody in my old college (including me) spent it on the right things. If it was in the form of Waterstones/WHSmith vouchers then fine. The bus-pass idea is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tpowertj)
    Shutup you clueless self-righteous japseye
    I wouldn't be surprised if you just let your EMA money blow away down the pavement...

ReputationRep:
    And its a recipe for disaster if its the schools / colleges who are in charge.
    THIS

If the money is given to the college and get told by the government 'here you go, spend wisely' then the money will never get to the students. The schools and colleges would end up spending the money on books and resources that they would've bought anyway

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.