Turn on thread page Beta

The EMA replacement - views watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler.)
    I believe all students should get free travel like I used to in London.
    This. I got free travel because I lived more than 3 miles from my college but I didn't get EMA (I didn't need it, I'm not complaining ).

I'd like to see free bus passes for all and vouchers for essentials such as food and stationary for those who would have received EMA. The idea behind EMA was good but its execution was totally unfair. I'd hate to see someone priced out of education.

ReputationRep:
    EMA, I have to say, was a bloody awful scheme. It gives me £20 per week. I have not spent a single penny of the money. I don't imagine it was designed this way.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the uni fees rise, any extra money will be really helpful for me. >_<

No idea how I'm going to afford to pay for a degree course - but even about £1000 from EMA will help - I do think though, that the EMA eligibility boundaries were far too high. I don't think our household even earns half the lower boundary

(And no, I'm not a lazy layabout who wastes EMA, I got 9 A*s at GCSE >:]) :cool:

ReputationRep:
    After reading the metro today about this I worked something out..

A lad i know is a complete waster, was kicked out of home for being a **** and has no intention of working.
    At the moment he gets £50 income support and a flat paid for plus he goes to college (never paid the fee for the course) and gets £30 EMA.
    I thought this was despicable as it is. £80 a week and no bills to pay for doing NOTHING!

Now under the new scheme he will get more like £100 in total each week!

I know it is hard to make things fair but that is ridiculous when people are breaking their backs working 40 hrs a week for not much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CeeTay)
    very confused, as a current year 12 recieving £30 a week and also free school meals, how will these changes affect me?
    I think, (correct me if I'm wrong) year 12 ema will stay the same. (assuming you applied in 2009/2010)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as did I. It should stay as it is then. (So you carry on with £30 a week [or however much you get paid])

Well that's what I was told/read somewhere. You'll probably want to double check though :P

ReputationRep:
    The new ema scheme thing says its only for students 'Who are in care or who have just left care, or who are on income support' does this mean the student has to be on income support or the parent? coz I live with my mam and she is on income support so would i get it?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently you would. I assume income support means benefits

ReputationRep:
    no i meant im not on income support, my mam is

ReputationRep:
    Could you give me the link for the new EMA scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    innit

i've lost my weed money
    If ***** like you used EMA for its intended purpose maybe the conservatives might not have taken it away.

ReputationRep:
    It says students, not students parents. This makes more sense too, as for a person under the age 18 to be on benefits would be extenuating circumstances whereas an awful lot of people's parents are on IS.

ReputationRep:
    EMA needs scrapping. Lets face it, the majority have never used the money as it should be used, its such a waste of taxpayers money. Like weed boy up there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    -rep for pointless spam? respect the thread pls as I and many others have been

-rep, digusting that u even bought this up

On topic: You found it yet?

hate to be the one who tells this but you can't -rep when you are in red gems.
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    If ***** like you used EMA for its intended purpose maybe the conservatives might not have taken it away.
    Yeah I use £18 a week for the bus as well. But I still think the conservatives would have taken it away, as they're cutting everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    hate to be the one who tells this but you can't -rep when you are in red gems.

Yeah I use £18 a week for the bus as well. But I still think the conservatives would have taken it away, as they're cutting everything.
    Yeah, they are cutting it because the labour government messed everything up. How stupid do you have to be to borrow and spend money you don't have when you are in a boom phase of the economic cycle. Anyways this is going off topic.

omgosh thats unfair
    grr

On topic: EMA should be spent on EMA related things, enuff said
    Yeah, I agree I think this new scheme will be able to manage that better, but I read this which I found interesting, James Mills of the Save EMA campaign said: "If Michael Gove thinks that he deserves credit after giving 70p extra a week to 12,000 of the poorest students whilst at the same time taking away £30 a week to many of their classmates whose finances are marginally better, then he really is delusional."

ReputationRep:
    I really do need some form of allowance though. Free travel would be perfect really, seeing as the fare would be £25 a week for my sixth form. I don't want to have to choose to go to the local sixth form just because I can't afford travel. Clearly EMA wasn't working, but they really ought to give out more details of this new scheme so people can start making decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Night.Watch.Woman)
    EMA needs scrapping. Lets face it, the majority have never used the money as it should be used, its such a waste of taxpayers money. Like weed boy up there!
    Bit late to the game aren't you? It decided it would be scrapped next year ages ago.

Also not all students are like that, I spent it on travel expenses so it's good I'm going to uni this year as I would not have been able to afford it otherwise. If we can afford to waste money on an AV system campaign we can bloody well afford to keep EMA running.

ReputationRep:
    -rep for pointless spam? respect the thread pls as I and many others have been

-rep,

People who neg other people are sad.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad to see it going; my father doesn't give me pocket money, so why should he give anyone elses children it.

I do hope that this replacement fund will be implemented in a way which will prevent the money from being used for unintended purposes. Maybe by showing reciepts for books or old travel pass to the council and the money could be refunded.

I also hope that those who do not achieve high enough have the money withdrawn; this will stop people from going to further education just for the grant as well as ensuring that those receiving it are likely to benefit this country in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeonSkies)
    Bit late to the game aren't you? It decided it would be scrapped next year ages ago.

Also not all students are like that, I spent it on travel expenses so it's good I'm going to uni this year as I would not have been able to afford it otherwise. If we can afford to waste money on an AV system campaign we can bloody well afford to keep EMA running.
    ahh pardon me - needed scrapping - and as I said - the majority of students - glad someone put it to good use

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.