Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Night.Watch.Woman)
    ahh pardon me - needed scrapping - and as I said - the majority of students - glad someone put it to good use
    I have to agree with you though that a lot of kids waste it on drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and other things that aren't going to do anyone any good.

I think they did a survey a while back on what the students spent their EMA on and a vast number of people said they spent it on things other than what it was initially intended for, so maybe a free travel expenses bus/train pass should be issued instead. It would be much fairer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CeeTay)
    very confused, as a current year 12 recieving £30 a week and also free school meals, how will these changes affect me?
    If you are now in year 13 then you will continue receiving £30 EMA up until you finish your exams and leave.

ReputationRep:
    OK I have to say that if I was in the current administration's position of having to enforce cuts, I'd definitely target EMA.

Back in my sixth form about 25ish people were in receipt of EMA. Of those, just ONE needed the money genuinely for school-related matters, the rest either used it on trivial things or - as half my year were Asians going into economics and finance - decided to save/invest it.

I was earning my own money through a part time job but also getting the £30 a week EMA. Did I really need it? Probably not. Could I have afforded daily Starbucks trips and £65/month iPhone contracts without it? Probably not.

So, yes, given the abuse of the system I do see a need for radical EMA reform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    It's "mum" and read it properly... :rolleyes:

I could... but how hard is it?

bbc news website has it... Do it urself in other words :rolleyes:

p.s. I ain't going to do it all for u, why shall I/anyone? I have helped by telling u it is on the bbc news website so be grateful :l

There's still no need to be a condescending little **** about it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CeeTay)
    but i'm in year 12
    Then you'll receive it up until the end of this academic year and you will not get it from September 2011 when in year 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseppea)
    Considering the uni fees rise, any extra money will be really helpful for me. >_<

No idea how I'm going to afford to pay for a degree course - but even about £1000 from EMA will help - I do think though, that the EMA eligibility boundaries were far too high. I don't think our household even earns half the lower boundary

(And no, I'm not a lazy layabout who wastes EMA, I got 9 A*s at GCSE >:]) :cool:
    The whole point is that you get a student loan for a degree course, which you only have to start paying back in small ammounts each month once you are earning a decent ammount (£21k or more.)

ReputationRep:
    -rep u clearly never read what the person asked.

it's very wrong to give FALSE information...

free school meals (FSM) so from what I understand CeeTay should be better off from the new changes announced...

if u are in year 12 now and recieve £30 per week and NOT fsm then next year (year 13), u will get £20 instead of £30 from what I understand.

Please don't lie, sum1's future could be in doubt, EMA is important to many of us :l
    What? Back this up.

I did not see that the user was entitled for free school meals, and now that I do, I'm not sure how he'll be affected, as I haven't read into it. Although if he was simply receiving £30 EMA he would not receive anything next year.

Also, how is not reading a post fully deemed lying? And why do you feel the need to neg rep my post? The whole rep system is meaningless and futile as it is, and your misuse of it is just laughable. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    The whole point is that you get a student loan for a degree course, which you only have to start paying back in small ammounts each month once you are earning a decent ammount (£21k or more.)
    I know all about getting student loans etc. But it's nice to start off with a little bit for living expenses and whatnot, it's also pretty helpful when I try to buy food :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseppea)
    I know all about getting student loans etc. But it's nice to start off with a little bit for living expenses and whatnot, it's also pretty helpful when I try to buy food :rolleyes:
    If you are from a low income household you should get plenty enough in a non repayable grant from the loans comany, plus a non repayable bursary from the uni.

ReputationRep:
    Another lie? Seriously did u bother reading the changes?

What makes u say he won't recieve anything?
    Correct me then. There's no use in saying that I'm wrong (and I very much could be) without even saying why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Catch-22.

You're complaining now as you haven't got the information now.
    You would be complaining then if they had more details and backtracked.

So, in this situation, better to be safe than sorry.

Really? Yet how come THE STUDENTS waste the money? (Don't tell me it's a minority).
    I'm sorry but I really dont think you're qualified to comment on EMA considering you're not even doing you're GCSEs yet and have little if no idea on how the world actually runs. You're at that glorious age where parents still pay for your bus fare and you will more then likely still have that benfit once you turn 16 unlike the majority of British teenagers who don't live with parents or whose parents can't afford it.

Also you mentioned child benefit how will they use child benefit when the government is cutting that for middle class families? Not everyone is as fortunate as you and I honestly think you have too many opinions on things you have honestly no understanding of.

Fair enough people abuse it but not everyone does, you honestly come across as so superior to everyone else and you look down your nose at everyone I just pray to god your family doesnt go from being middle class to poor like my family did although it might give you a sharp reality check.

oh btw I do get the full £30 none of mine gets wasted I live miles away from the nearest college I spend £10 on a metro pass each week, £10 a week on a bus pass and then £10 on lunch and I am someone who thinks that EMA should only be given to those who really need it.

ReputationRep:
    Why not make EMA like a student loan? I think it's right to give it so people have the chance to better themselves but it should be paid back when they are working and can afford to pay it back. Therefore it goes back into helping the next generation of kids who need help funding education.
    That's my two cents anyway

ReputationRep:
    If you get say the £20 or £10 weekly payments now...... You don't get nothing next year do you?

ReputationRep:
    This new scheme seems a lot better than EMA for sure, I can't think of anyone who spends their EMA on school related stuff, and plenty of people do get it.

ReputationRep:
    u failed to answer my question?

u haven't read the changes, have you?
    I wouldn't post in here if I hadn't. I clearly mistook what was stated as being the end of the 2012 academic year as the end of this year.

Either way, making a mistake in regard to the date/timing of the EMA payments does not cloud the fact that you're laughably pretentious and I find it quite funny how you openly believe (in other threads too) that a thing as futile as 'rep' is of any significance.

ReputationRep:
    I get £20 at the moment and I haven't spent any of it except for £20 on beer, I don't need it. I don't mind not having it next year.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind - I get £20 a week right now (Year 12) and I spend very little on essentials unless you include clothes as essentials (but even there I could buy way cheaper clothes; though I don't buy REALLY expensive brands, just moderate). I spend some on stuff like going out for meals, have spent some on technology and even videogames.

I'm not a layabout, I got 5As in these just gone modules and I'm a hard worker - but EMA isn't something I think I need but if it's available I may as well seize it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm well out of sixth form now but still interested. Seems very vague and sketchy. It's all very well saying give money for a bus pass. What about the people who have to drive to school? Petrol money? That's not gonna happen. And I'm sure if my old school was put in charge students would get sod all, unless they were catholic...

ReputationRep:
    Shocking decision. It's a 60% cut.

ReputationRep:
    I've been using all my EMA for driving lessons and bus fare since September, the rest I'm saving, as long as I've passed my driving test before it stops then I don't mind

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.