Turn on thread page Beta

The EMA replacement - views watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misssmarty)
    i get 30 quid at the moment... will i get £18 a week for bus pass next year? thats all want know.
    £18 for a bus pass? That's high! Thought most week bus passes were around £10?

ReputationRep:
    I do not like EMA system or replacement in any way. Many teens 16+ have jobs in sixth form, that is more than enough, people abuse ema anyway. **** ema is my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwelmail)
    I do not like EMA system or replacement in any way. Many teens 16+ have jobs in sixth form, that is more than enough, people abuse ema anyway. **** ema is my opinion.
    You don't get ema do you?

ReputationRep:
    People need to stop thinking they are entitled to money. You aren't entitled to money from government, it's there to help you, they are under no obligation to dig you out of your financial hole, that's your burden.

This is going to get negative rep because people think they deserve free money. I'm not saying you shouldn't get it, just realise that you're not entitled to it by birth.

ReputationRep:
    It helps pay the bills at home.

ReputationRep:
    why are people saying no cash should be given out?

Why would you want vouchers when people may not want to go to certain shops for things?

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I think it's important to help bright pupils from poor families stay in education by helping them out with certain costs relating to education, I don't think it is at all appropriate to hand them a wad of cash and say here you are don't spend it all at once. A free bus/train pass providing transport to and from their place of education, free school meal entitlement, and maybe some vouchers for WHSmiths, Waterstones, or Amazon to allow the purchase of educational materials would have been more than sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy123)
    why are people saying no cash should be given out?

Why would you want vouchers when people may not want to go to certain shops for things?
    If you give people cash they can spend it on anything, booze, ****, trips to the cinema. If you restrict it to vouchers and only at certain outlets that stock educational materials such as Waterstones or WHSmiths you can ensure that tax payers money is being spent in an appropriate way rather than being misused and abused.

ReputationRep:
    You all forget that there's no such thing as a rich student - all students are poor. Why family income is put in the equation I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaylaleigh)
    Exactly.
    All you get on here are bitter and twisteds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Whilst I think it's important to help bright pupils from poor families stay in education by helping them out with certain costs relating to education, I don't think it is at all appropriate to hand them a wad of cash and say here you are don't spend it all at once. A free bus/train pass providing transport to and from their place of education, free school meal entitlement, and maybe some vouchers for WHSmiths, Waterstones, or Amazon to allow the purchase of educational materials would have been more than sufficient.
    Spoken like someone who hasn't taken the silver spoon out of their gob yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Spoken like someone who hasn't taken the silver spoon out of their gob yet.
    As opposed you, someone who thinks the government owes them everything for free?

ReputationRep:
    As opposed you, someone who thinks the government owes them everything for free?
    This.

Like I said earlier, the taxpayer is not obliged to give you anything. All your benefits, ema etc are other peoples money being taken from them and put in your pocket. Be grateful.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not a thief of tax payers money.

ReputationRep:
    If you give people cash they can spend it on anything, booze, ****, trips to the cinema. If you restrict it to vouchers and only at certain outlets that stock educational materials such as Waterstones or WHSmiths you can ensure that tax payers money is being spent in an appropriate way rather than being misused and abused.
    I do understand what you are saying but you can not rely on vouchers for everything you are going to need a liitle cash.
    Maybe they could give vouchers out and just reduce the money given E.g £10 cash a week and £10 in vouchers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy123)
    I do understand what you are saying but you can not rely on vouchers for everything you are going to need a liitle cash.
    Maybe they could give vouchers out and just reduce the money given E.g £10 cash a week and £10 in vouchers.
    Why not? EMA is there to pay for your studies, ie, transport, food, books, stationary. That's it. It's not there to pay for your lunch, as you have to eat whether you go to college or not, it's not there to pay your bills, it's there to support your study costs.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not a thief of tax payers money.
    Ah but if you were eligible you would though.

ReputationRep:
    Ah but if you were eligible you would though.
    I found out I was eligible but I would never ever claim any benefits.

ReputationRep:
    I found out I was eligible but I would never ever claim any benefits.
    Somehow I do not believe that. At all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Somehow I do not believe that. At all.
    Too ****ing bad.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.