Turn on thread page Beta

The EMA replacement - views watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwelmail)
    Too ****ing bad.
    So if you found yourself out of work, or severely disabled, or whatever, you wouldn't claim benefits? Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    So if you found yourself out of work, or severely disabled, or whatever, you wouldn't claim benefits? Really?
    I would not claim benefits. I do not abuse those systems.

ReputationRep:
    I would not claim benefits. I do not abuse those systems.
    So what if you had no money, had no work, needed money to survive and maybe to treat your illness?
    Also claiming benefits for legitimate reasons is not abusing the systems.

ReputationRep:
    So what if you had no money, had no work, needed money to survive and maybe to treat your illness?
    Also claiming benefits for legitimate reasons is not abusing the systems.
    I do not like the system at the moment and would not be prepared to worsen it without it being sorted out

ReputationRep:
    I do not like the system at the moment and would not be prepared to worsen it without it being sorted out
    So you would be prepared to suffer pain, inability to do things, starvation and even death?
    For most people on benefits, it isn't a choice. It is a fact of life, a necessity.

(I know this doesn't apply to EMA, but I am going to go into it since you are judging all benefits like this).

ReputationRep:
    So you would be prepared to suffer pain, inability to do things, starvation and even death?
    For most people on benefits, it isn't a choice. It is a fact of life, a necessity.
    I see too much abuse of the benefit system, eg I read that <1/2 a million on sick benefits are capable to work

ReputationRep:
    I see too much abuse of the benefit system, eg I read that <1/2 a million on sick benefits are capable to work
    That isn't answering the question though.
    You said that you will never claim any benefits.
    I am questioning that statement, as I do not belive it to be true, as for most people on benefits, it isn't a choice, it is a necessity.

ReputationRep:
    Good. I dont know how i'd survive without that extra 30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    They're not obliged to replace it. It is not a 17 year old's right to get anything from the government tbh.

Tough ****.

I'd rather that than giving the student the money, then they waste it, and complain about not affording the school fare. :rolleyes:
    To be honest, you sound really immature and close minded. Perhaps if you opened your mind a bit and listened to any counter arguments, people would take you seriously?

Rather than just going in all guns blazing mouthing off your unfounded views to everyone and anyone?

ReputationRep:
    The second is that it is left in the hands of the colleges / sixth forms. We both know that colleges / sixth form staff are not hugely reliable with things like this. They mess up EMA all the time (not giving it when the student has met all the criteria), and do not stick to the rules (sometimes being too lenient with people skipping lessons etc).

The bit in bold. This happened to me when I was in college. We had to fill in a form if we were going to miss any lessons so that it would be noted down on the register that we weren't just skiving (i.e: doctors appointments, interviews, etc). I put in a form and stated the dates for the following month when I was due to attend a university interview, and whoever read the form clearly couldn't read properly and put down the dates for the current month meaning I didn't get a payment when I should have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveScott)
    Why not? EMA is there to pay for your studies, ie, transport, food, books, stationary. That's it. It's not there to pay for your lunch, as you have to eat whether you go to college or not, it's not there to pay your bills, it's there to support your study costs.

You contradicted yourself. Just thought I'd point that out as you may want to edit your post?

ReputationRep:
    http://quazen.com/shopping/gifts/wha...a-mean-to-you/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseppea)
    I think, (correct me if I'm wrong) year 12 ema will stay the same. (assuming you applied in 2009/2010)

no. current year 13s are the ones who applied in 2009/2010. if they happen to be retaking a year (aka staying on until age 19) they will continue getting £30/£20/£10 etc. if you are currently a year 12 (like me) then you applied for the 2010/2011 entry - therefore if you receive £30 a week at the moment, you will get £20 a week next year. anyone currently receiving £20 or £10 a week, will be given nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I realised that too the other day xD but still £20 is better than nothing (thanks for correcting my wrongness)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    £18 for a bus pass? That's high! Thought most week bus passes were around £10?
    yup dunno why its so expensive its 45 minute journer there and back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    your bus pass costs £18 a week? gosh where do you live? I felt ripped off my my £10 a week one but I guess I'm getting a bargin
    Lancashire its a 45 minute journey there and back everyday.... im getting annoyed now that people are telling me they only paid a tenner!

ReputationRep:
    In the words of my friend: "The dirty peasents will get over it, maybe this country will lose it's reputation for alcoholism"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    I've always been of the belief that the money given in EMA shouldn't be in cash form, but rather in vouchers for food, books and travel. Food and travel are what most students NEED (not want) their EMA for, and £30 a week seems quite a lot for that.
    £30 is a lot for that, but unfortunately the practicality of vouchers is practically nil.

Anyone from the lower income brackets should receive heavily (even more so) subsidised travel and free school/college meals.

As for books...I don't know anyone who has bought a book. Our college provides the official textbook from the examining body for each course to each student.

Though pens and paper I suppose WHSmiths/Stationary Box/etc vouchers would be good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    your bus pass costs £18 a week? gosh where do you live? I felt ripped off my my £10 a week one but I guess I'm getting a bargin
    Ha!

In my first two weeks of starting college in September 2010, I paid £45 a week!

I'd be paying that now, fortunately I now get a lift.

Buses around here are horrific. My college is 8 miles away, but the only direct bus is a mile's walk away and only runs between 10am and 2pm.

College is a 2 hour bus journey. Horrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misssmarty)
    yup dunno why its so expensive its 45 minute journer there and back

(Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Ha!

In my first two weeks of starting college in September 2010, I paid £45 a week!

I'd be paying that now, fortunately I now get a lift.

Buses around here are horrific. My college is 8 miles away, but the only direct bus is a mile's walk away and only runs between 10am and 2pm.

College is a 2 hour bus journey. Horrific.
    my bus pass has recently gone up to £10.80.. but I will not be complaining after reading this 45? seriously?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.