Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    More and more evidence is pointing towards the idea that banning fat people from the media would be beneficial for society. Now there will probably be an outcry to this, throwing words like 'fattist' around, so here is some perspective:

Smoking

Smoking has been done for numerous reasons such as rituals, narcotics and so on, with the main goal of cigarettes to be to deliver nicotine to the smoker.
    The facts & health effects of smoking:

- Smoking is preventable
    - There are estimated to be one billion smokers
    - Male and female smokers lose an average of 13.2 and 14.5 years of life
    - UK studies show that smokers in their 30s and 40s are five times more likely to have a heart attack than non-smokers.
    - Numerous cancers
    - Heart disease
    - Second-hand smoke which has the effects of cancer, lung disease etc.
    - Infections, lung disease etc.

Due to the above the E.U. and World Health Organisation have both specified that the advertising of tobacco should not be allowed, resulting in bans in tobacco advertisement. It has also been noticed that in Hollywood films, smoking is seen a lot less than in previous decades. China is also following this trend.

Now here are the facts to do with the overweight and obese:

Overweight & Obese

- Obesity is preventable
    - There is estimated to be 1.5 billion overweight people, with 300 million being obese
    - On average, obesity reduces life expectancy by six to seven years
    - 44% of the diabetes burden, 23% of the ischaemic heart disease burden and between 7% and 41% of certain cancer burdens are attributable to overweight and obesity throughout the world
    - In a study men aged 40 to 65 years with a BMI >25 but <29 had a 72% increased risk of nonfatal or fatal coronary heart disease.
    - Being obese effects those around you:

"A person's chances of becoming obese increased by 57% if he or she had a friend who became obese in a given interval. Among pairs of adult siblings, if one sibling became obese, the chance that the other would become obese increased by 40%. If one spouse became obese, the likelihood that the other spouse would become obese increased by 37% ."

So knowing this, why are fat people allowed on television when they are promoting a dangerous and preventable way of life? They should only be on TV to promote weight loss. And considering the burden they will cost the NHS through diabetes etc, the overweight and obese should be socially stigmatised due to the cost and selfish effect their obesity has on others. On top of that you have people like Adele who seems to think being obese is just to do with image. Imagine if she was smoking and made the claim that she wasn't going to change because she never saw a reason. Frankly she's a terrible person for giving such a bad message to today's youth when being overweight and obesity are on the increase.

So in short, ban the overweight and obese from TV for the good of the country. The health figures all point towards it so why are people ignoring the problem?

ReputationRep:
    We need fat people on TV to make us feel good about ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking on TV can be perceived in the wrong way, especially by children, as somewhat of a 'cool' thing to do. Not the same with fat people, seeing fat people on TV doesn't make you want to become fat, regardless of age, does it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElegantElephant™)
    Smoking on TV can be perceived in the wrong way, especially by children, as somewhat of a 'cool' thing to do. Not the same with fat people, seeing fat people on TV doesn't make you want to become fat, regardless of age, does it :rolleyes:
    It promotes being fat as acceptable, reinforced by people like Adele and their brain dead comments...Smoking was removed from films not just because it made it 'cool' but because it made is also seem acceptable. You can't say smoking could be perceived the wrong way and yet being fat won't be - how did you work that one out?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion all fat people should be forced to lose weight. If they don't lose weight after a given time period (the time period would be different for each fatty) then in my opinion, they should be made to suffer a humiliating death on TV, for example:
    -Round them up in a field and shoot at them. I can just imagine all the fat people attempting to run and jump to avoid death. Would be a shame that the only effort they put in to losing weight was when they were going to die. Send a message to the public that fat=death. Would lead to a more healthier and motivated society imo.

ReputationRep:
    Banning fat people won't prevent people from being fat. Just like lessening the "promotion" of smoking on tv hasn't stopped people from smoking. It's a reasonable concept but pointless nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    Let us just ban TV instead, it's way more justifiable

ReputationRep:
    Only if we can ban Size 0 and pathetically thin models from the TV and magazines also.

ReputationRep:
    We need to eliminate any source of moral deviance - Obesity, smoking, drinking and infidelity all need to be banned from TV immediately

ReputationRep:
    Let's not forget the most important reason...

Gluttony's a sin!:mwuaha:

ReputationRep:
    Fat people should be locked up and harvested to solve world hunger, or alternatively they could get thinner.

I'll probably delegate this decision to my international development and health ministers when I rise to power.

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose at the very least Vanessa Feltz's godawful show would be cancelled.

I'm willing to consider this proposal ... elaborate, please. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    In my opinion all fat people should be forced to lose weight. If they don't lose weight after a given time period (the time period would be different for each fatty) then in my opinion, they should be made to suffer a humiliating deaths on TV, for example:
    -Round them up in a field and shoot at them. I can just imagine all the fat people attempting to run and jump to avoid death. Would be a shame that the only effort they put in to losing weight was when they were going to die. Send a message to the public that fat=death. Would lead to a more healthier and motivated society imo.
    Right.... and what to you is "fat"?

I have large hips ("childbearing hips!", as my mother is so fond of saying). They're about 44 inches around, but there's no fat on them. I don't have much fat on my tummy, although my waist is fairly wide because of my large hips and ribcage. I have thighs that are large with muscle.
    Does that make me fat?

Are you going to determine who's fat and who isn't using the BMI, which is shockingly bad as an indicator?

Are you just going to shoot anyone who isn't a walking skeleton?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone ever looks at the TV, sees a fat person and thinks "wow, I really want to be like that, they're on TV!"

ReputationRep:
    If this means the Go Compare man is banned, then I am in full agreement.

ReputationRep:
    No to a nanny state!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    In my opinion all fat people should be forced to lose weight. If they don't lose weight after a given time period (the time period would be different for each fatty) then in my opinion, they should be made to suffer a humiliating deaths on TV, for example:
    WOW. I'm glad I don't know you in r/l.

And if we do that to overweight/obese people I also want it done to people who take drugs, smoke, engage in any kind of risky behaviour, binge drink etc. After all, none of these things are particularly healthy either.

What's so wrong with being overweight?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno about the OP's idea, but can we at least ban those crap shows where they get a ****load of fat mother****ers and try and get them ****ers to lose some ****ing weight. ****ing annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Being overweight is essential for certain characters on screen (what would a stick thin Hagrid look like?) and I really don't think it makes people want to become fat. Smoking can be seen as aesthetically appealing, sexy even, so it appears attractive. There is nothing aesthetically pleasing about being overweight.

So sorry to say this OP, but although your post is well written and argued, you are a fattist.

ReputationRep:
    The media already makes women think they need to look like this in order to be fashionable and/or attractive:

..what d'y'all think would happen if you took chunky monkies off the box? :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.