Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    You compare removing fat people from TV to improve the health of the nation as being the same as a dictatorship that killed 10's of millions? Credible argument there son.
    Look up 'facetious'

(Original post by Mazty)
    Health is important to the sane. Only the insane do not value their health. Seriously. A telling sign of autism is not caring about one's health. If you can give me a logical reason why a sane person would not want to be healthy, doctors may have to rethink that one.
    Ok then, but what have sane people ever done for the good of society other than slave away in a dead end job and buy some new clothes and a tv every now and then?

You find me a decent/influential musician, comedian, author, scientist, politician, activist, philosopher, businessmen or inventor who is perfectly sane and ill take back everything ive ever said.

(Original post by Mazty)
    Old age is not self inflicted ergo your argument is invalid as obesity costs are avoidable. Old age is not.
    Prolonging your life with pills, transplants, operations and machines is the same thing, it is a choice that costs a hell of a lot more than being fat does. Not all fat people need to loose weight just like not all old people need medical care.

(Original post by Mazty)
    Fat people are healthy? No, they are fat. Being fat is unhealthy. :rolleyes:
    'A fit man carrying 50 pounds of body fat had a death rate less than one-half that of an unfit man with only 25 pounds of body fat."
    -Harvard Health Policy Review, 2003

"Active obese individuals actually have lower morbidity and mortality than normal weight individuals who are sedentary … the health risks of obesity are largely controlled if a person is physically active and physically fit."
    -The President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, 2000

Theres a huge difference between 'lazy fat' and simply excess body weight.

(Original post by Mazty)
    Find me an attractive person who finds fat people attractive. Either way, it still isn't healthy and you should have figured the idea is to help make the country a healthier place, not cater for a small minority's fetish.
    Transgenders cater for a small minorities fetish, but we live in a society where choice is tolerated, even to the extent of altering your body to make yourself feel better.

I saw a documentary on tv (tried to find the name, it was relating to fat people not being societies stereotypical fat) showing fat people out exercising thin people as well as the ever growing popularity of 'big women' in both a sexual and relationship context. Unless you are shallow or a sex pest, if you meet a big women you like for more than just sex chances are, if you dont care what anyone else thinks, you will have a decent relationship.

(Original post by Mazty)
    Your argument is juvenile and shallow. Come back when it has some thought and substance behind it.
    haha! my argument is shallow? 'Fat people get off the tv because your fat' juvenile? well i never said i wasn't but i dont see a reason to take this seriously as like i said, i dont care if i pay 2p a year to the NHS due to fat people. Im not going to tell people what to do with their bodies, its none of my business even if i do fork over a pitiful amount a year, at least i can see those changes! I have a feeling you dont pay tax yet, well i do, those potholes in the road aren't filled, the council is still allowing the destruction of decent and historic buildings around me to make way for hideous flats, theres constant road works and the town centre, which was finished over a year ago, still has no flowers in the planters. I, as a tax payer, have far more to worry about that promoting some bull**** anti fat campaign that views them as some sort of cancer we need to get rid of before the children become lazy. Although children already are lazy.. you know why? Technology and fast food. You want to make a change go for those problems, dont badger decent people doing what they do, living how they want to only because you dont like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I never want to see that diagram again. >_>

So which number would you consider 'fat'?
    Anything above 4 really, with 4 being chubby and quite unattractive to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Anything above 4 really, with 4 being chubby and quite unattractive to begin with.
    Ok, I'm cool with that. Don't forget, though, that as you get older it gets harder to maintain a perfect body.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm cool with that. Don't forget, though, that as you get older it gets harder to maintain a perfect body.
    Only if you are in bad shape at that age.
    If you get into good shape whilst you are young then it is easy to stay in shape. The only reason people think it is harder is because people become lazier.

43 years old - doesn't look it
    Spoiler:
    Show

This guy is 74.
    Spoiler:
    Show

This is the other thing that annoys me. If you learn to stay in shape now, you will look great when you are older, so to not get fit is just ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    Only if you are in bad shape at that age.
    If you get into good shape whilst you are young then it is easy to stay in shape. The only reason people think it is harder is because people become lazier.

43 years old - doesn't look it
    Spoiler:
    Show

This guy is 74.
    Spoiler:
    Show

This is the other thing that annoys me. If you learn to stay in shape now, you will look great when you are older, so to not get fit is just ludicrous.
    I'm not saying you should give up completely but I think the above images are a lot to expect and I imagine the focus of those people is entirely on their appearance. No, you shouldn't let yourself go entirely, but when you're 35+, there are more important things - like family and your job - than maintaining a toned stomach and pert bottom.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you have to look at the reasons behind the figures in order to use them. Cigarettes were made to seem sort of desirable through the way they had been advertised/presented on television. Fat people are not presented as desirable and anyway, presenting them that way wouldn't necessarily make people want to get fat themselves. What would make more sense would be to ban unhealthy food from television instead.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying you should give up completely but I think the above images are a lot to expect and I imagine the focus of those people is entirely on their appearance. No, you shouldn't let yourself go entirely, but when you're 35+, there are more important things - like family and your job - than maintaining a toned stomach and pert bottom.
    But in order to maintain that shape it would only take a few hours a week and a good diet which almost anyone can do, thus it is not hard, people just make excuses and become lazy.

ReputationRep:
    But in order to maintain that shape it would only take a few hours a week and a good diet which almost anyone can do, thus it is not hard, people just make excuses and become lazy.
    You clearly have a distorted view of what it's like to be a middle aged woman with kids.

ReputationRep:
    You clearly have a distorted view of what it's like to be a middle aged woman with kids.
    I would beg to differ.
    I have a great view of the attitude British middle age women have, along with the attitude from other mothers across the world. British mums tend to be lazy or very materialistic and I wonder why they had children in the first place.
    But if I am wrong please explain how so as I am curious as to why someone can not find 30 mins of free time each day to do some exercise.

ReputationRep:
    I would beg to differ.
    I have a great view of the attitude British middle age women have, along with the attitude from other mothers across the world. British mums tend to be lazy or very materialistic and I wonder why they had children in the first place.
    But if I am wrong please explain how so as I am curious as to why someone can not find 30 mins of free time each day to do some exercise.
    When you have young children, then it's very difficult to find time to even get yourself properly dressed, never mind exercise!

My point, however, was more along the lines of: even if you can find some time each day to exercise, as your metabolism slows and various parts of your body tend to sag, it become more and more difficult to look like this and surplus fat becomes quite difficult to move:
    http://www.sodahead.com/fun/give-meg...q=toned%2Bbody

ReputationRep:
    When you have young children, then it's very difficult to find time to even get yourself properly dressed, never mind exercise!

My point, however, was more along the lines of: even if you can find some time each day to exercise, as your metabolism slows and various parts of your body tend to sag, it become more and more difficult to look like this and surplus fat becomes quite difficult to move:
    http://www.sodahead.com/fun/give-meg...q=toned%2Bbody
    Erm, not if you are organised and have good stamina to begin with.
    Seeing that children sleep more then you can exercise when they are sleeping.

Thing is though, exercise would prevent or dramatically slow sagging as your muscles can stay toned thus pulling the skin. Although you won't look as good as you could have done back when you were 25, you can easily prevent yourself looking like a frump. Plus how good would you feel to know that you look better then most women half your age.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, not if you are organised and have good stamina to begin with.
    Seeing that children sleep more then you can exercise when they are sleeping.

Thing is though, exercise would prevent or dramatically slow sagging as your muscles can stay toned thus pulling the skin. Although you won't look as good as you could have done back when you were 25, you can easily prevent yourself looking like a frump. Plus how good would you feel to know that you look better then most women half your age.
    Apart from the fact that young children tend to wake up and scream every 10 minutes. XD

Yes, I'm not saying you can't keep healthy, but I think it's a lot to ask an 'older' pesron to maintain a toned, size 10 figure. I'd say a size 14 is a perfectly healthy size for someone who's in their 40s and 50s.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the fact that young children tend to wake up and scream every 10 minutes. XD

Yes, I'm not saying you can't keep healthy, but I think it's a lot to ask an 'older' pesron to maintain a toned, size 10 figure. I'd say a size 14 is a perfectly healthy size for someone who's in their 40s and 50s.
    Well all I can say for certain is a size 14 is far from healthy for someone that age especially as the older you get the more prone you become to heart attacks and heart disease.
    Also, why is it that Japanese parents find the time to stay in shape yet Western Parents don't? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well all I can say for certain is a size 14 is far from healthy for someone that age especially as the older you get the more prone you become to heart attacks and heart disease.
    Also, why is it that Japanese parents find the time to stay in shape yet Western Parents don't? :confused:
    Oh, so you can definitely say that for all Japanese parents? :rolleyes: And, have you considered that the Japanese lifestyle when it comes to parenting might be considerably different to the Western one? You can't really make that comparison.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my mentioning of a size 14. It is dependent on your height/build but for someone who is of average height, it would be no problem at all. My Mum, for example, is around 5'7 and has a BMI of just under 24. She's an average size 14. No, it's not ideal, but it's healthy by definition, and I doubt she is at an increased risk of heart disease because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, so you can definitely say that for all Japanese parents? :rolleyes: And, have you considered that the Japanese lifestyle when it comes to parenting might be considerably different to the Western one? You can't really make that comparison.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my mentioning of a size 14. It is dependent on your height/build but for someone who is of average height, it would be no problem at all. My Mum, for example, is around 5'7 and has a BMI of just under 24. She's an average size 14. No, it's not ideal, but it's healthy by definition, and I doubt she is at an increased risk of heart disease because of it.
    Of course not all, but they are far slimmer then our middle age fatties.
    Yes, the Jap lifestyle is different and they spend more time with their children yet remain to be in shape ergo children are not the issue.

Actually bmi is very bad in that someone with a bmi of 23+ could be quite unhealthy due to weight. The best bet is to do a body fat test with some callipers and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not all, but they are far slimmer then our middle age fatties.
    Yes, the Jap lifestyle is different and they spend more time with their children yet remain to be in shape ergo children are not the issue.

Actually bmi is very bad in that someone with a bmi of 23+ could be quite unhealthy due to weight. The best bet is to do a body fat test with some callipers and go from there.
    Either way, I don't think it's fair to criticise someone for having a slight muffin top as they get older.

ReputationRep:
    Either way, I don't think it's fair to criticise someone for having a slight muffin top as they get older.
    Why not?
    I just showed how they have it because they are lazy and sadly attraction still plays a large part within a relationship no matter what age. To be honest this would explain why I know (and why the statistics shows) that middle age divorce is on the increase - probably because one partner decides to let them self go.

ReputationRep:
    Why not?
    I just showed how they have it because they are lazy and sadly attraction still plays a large part within a relationship no matter what age. To be honest this would explain why I know (and why the statistics shows) that middle age divorce is on the increase - probably because one partner decides to let them self go.
    Yes, I realise attraction plays a part of a relationship, but I think less so as you become comfortable with your partner.

And as I mentioned, you can still exercise and not have a perfect figure. I wouldn't say a middle aged woman or man who exercises for say, 3 hours a week, is lazy but chances are they are still going to be slightly out of shape because of metabolism and generally saggy-ness etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    snip
    Socrates
    Plato
    Aristotle
    Monet
    Raphael
    Michaelangelo

Come back when you aren't spouting ignorant knee-jerk rhetoric. Your argument of transgenders is a meaningless strawman and you overlook that fat people negatively influence those around them.

ReputationRep:
    If you jiggle for more than a second when you're belly's poked then it's off the donuts before you're on TV.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.