Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malism)
    I totally agree. I understand where you are coming from and i do support your ideas. However, the problem i have with your method is your lack of understanding and compassion for the people you are focusing on. Forced change, even if that change is considered by the majority to be positive, will be met with aggression. By alienating overweight people (be they the stars of an obesity episode or someone with a just few excess pounds) with such a blunt proposal you are creating more problems and more anguish than if you adressed the root causes. A lack of decent exercise and a poor diet are the only two real factors when it comes to overweight people, if you support a good diet and promote exercise without causing upset you will see a positive change.

Some of your views are quite benighted, for example labelling people who are content to be overweight as having a screw loose is insulting and i think only someone who has never overcome social challenges in their life can make such a callous point.

The spread of obesity could be blamed on increased advertising, advertising and products aimed at children, the price and ease of fast food over decent home cooking or simply the lazy culture we find ourselves surrounded by today. Im not trying to challenge this source as it is very valid but it does not address every single possible issue regarding to the spread by only concluding that' Network phenomena appear to be relevant to the biologic and behavioral trait of obesity, and obesity appears to spread through social ties.' The spread of anything has deeper root causes beyond social interactions.

You WHO source identify overweight people as those with;

'a BMI greater than or equal to 25 is overweight
    a BMI greater than or equal to 30 is obesity.'

Some evidence that has been used to challenge this (from the very flippant 'EggmanD') states that someone with a BMI of over 25 can be physically fitter if they exercise regularly than someone who has a BMI of less than 25 who does not exercise. If you wish to tackle fitness you cannot write off this fact. Aside from the BMI statistics the WHO also state that 'Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health.' Being slightly overweight can impair health depending on fitness and diet but being physically inactive and having a poor diet will directly impair health, it is just not visible as excessive fat.

I do sound like i am supporting overweight people and i guess in some way i am as i believe in free choice, even if i do not like that choice. I would like to see a healthier population and i think that can be achieved with a decent proposal, perhaps more awareness of how food and exercise effect morbidity and mortality rates, maybe even some more information on the back of processed food so people know how it will effect them if they over consume.

I dont think banning fat people from television will have a positive effect considering that most fat people feature in factual documentaries explaining the issues with being unfit and overweight and most 'how to look good naked' themed shows are in the midday slots to give overweight people a self esteem boost are aimed at middle aged and older men and women, most of which have had children or now have beer bellies!

The issue of an overweight population needs to be tackled at its root causes, you make a compelling argument but, as i have said, i believe there to be more rooted causes.

PS - As you brought up China, having a few extra pounds in that culture (as well as in Africa and India) is a sign of prosperity, that is an issue that a simple television ban will not effect
    You do raise some good points.
    It does make logical sense to address the root causes however the only issue with that I would say is feasibility. A lot of people comfort eat. If they all did so for the same reason, that would be relatively easy to deal with, but as it is probably more rooted in personal issues, history of their personal life etc, it would cost a phenomenal amount of time & money to have counsellors to deal with each person. If this was feasible I'd be for it, but I'm not quite sure how it could be funded.
    I've overcome many a social challenge in my life and cannot see a single logical reason as for why someone would chose to be overweight. There are zero benefits to it, whilst your subconscious would only reinforce self-loathing due to your appearance. I can understand the short-term thinking of "eat to feel better", but that thinking is ignoring all the long-term effects, none of which are positive.
    BMI as you said isn't perfect but it's a good general rule of thumb. Of course to implement such a thing a doctor could use hybrids of different measuring techniques such as body fat%, BMI etc.
    As my first post says, I only think the overweight should be on TV to promote weight loss as it is certainly a useful topic for many.

In an ideal world sitting each overweight person down with a consecller and personal trainer would be ideal, but it just doesn't seem feasible, whereas removing the positive advertising of the overweight on TV would be, albeit not a perfect solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    I fail to see your logic.

Over the years I've been friends with overweight and obese people and I don't think it negatively affected me or the other friends in the group.

I became (slightly) overweight due to factors out of my control and this hasn't affected others.

In fact standing next to someone smoking does me more damage then standing next to an obese person.
    What if you had been friends with people who live at the gym or are seriously into fitness? Would you have still put on weight or would you have not due to having the constant reminder of fitness from your friends and possibly your friends taking action to stop you gaining weight. You also have to remember that there is a higher chance of being in better shape if you hang around fit people as you may begin to get involved in their healthy lifestyle such as talking about diet to being taken to a gym for the first time.
    Also with the increase of social networking, your friends will have a far higher influence on your appearance and lifestyle. If your friends were to put up pictures and they always looked in great shape and they then offered you tips and suggested that you come to the gym with them, there is a higher chance you will take them up on the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    What if you had been friends with people who live at the gym or are seriously into fitness? Would you have still put on weight or would you have not due to having the constant reminder of fitness from your friends and possibly your friends taking action to stop you gaining weight.
    I put on weight due to being on the contraceptive injection. So nothing to do with my choice of company. Had a doctor confirm that the injection had led to me putting on weight and was preventing me from losing it again (gym 4 times a week for a few months had no real weight loss effects). I then promptly came off it. I'm on the implant now and have lost weight, getting back to my original size.

You also have to remember that there is a higher chance of being in better shape if you hang around fit people as you may begin to get involved in their healthy lifestyle such as talking about diet to being taken to a gym for the first time.
    Also with the increase of social networking, your friends will have a far higher influence on your appearance and lifestyle. If your friends were to put up pictures and they always looked in great shape and they then offered you tips and suggested that you come to the gym with them, there is a higher chance you will take them up on the offer.
    That's not what the thread's about, the thread is about fat people making thin people fat. As the rest of your comment is based on my putting on weight due to being friends with overweight people, and that not being true, I feel no need to dispute what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what the thread's about, the thread is about fat people making thin people fat.
    :rofl: :facepalm:
    Learn to read. Go back to the beginning and start again. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    More and more evidence is pointing towards the idea that banning fat people from the media would be beneficial for society. Now there will probably be an outcry to this, throwing words like 'fattist' around, so here is some perspective:

Smoking

Smoking has been done for numerous reasons such as rituals, narcotics and so on, with the main goal of cigarettes to be to deliver nicotine to the smoker.
    The facts & health effects of smoking:

- Smoking is preventable
    - There are estimated to be one billion smokers
    - Male and female smokers lose an average of 13.2 and 14.5 years of life
    - UK studies show that smokers in their 30s and 40s are five times more likely to have a heart attack than non-smokers.
    - Numerous cancers
    - Heart disease
    - Second-hand smoke which has the effects of cancer, lung disease etc.
    - Infections, lung disease etc.

Due to the above the E.U. and World Health Organisation have both specified that the advertising of tobacco should not be allowed, resulting in bans in tobacco advertisement. It has also been noticed that in Hollywood films, smoking is seen a lot less than in previous decades. China is also following this trend.

Now here are the facts to do with the overweight and obese:

Overweight & Obese

- Obesity is preventable
    - There is estimated to be 1.5 billion overweight people, with 300 million being obese
    - On average, obesity reduces life expectancy by six to seven years
    - 44% of the diabetes burden, 23% of the ischaemic heart disease burden and between 7% and 41% of certain cancer burdens are attributable to overweight and obesity throughout the world
    - In a study men aged 40 to 65 years with a BMI >25 but <29 had a 72% increased risk of nonfatal or fatal coronary heart disease.
    - Being obese effects those around you:

"A person's chances of becoming obese increased by 57% if he or she had a friend who became obese in a given interval. Among pairs of adult siblings, if one sibling became obese, the chance that the other would become obese increased by 40%. If one spouse became obese, the likelihood that the other spouse would become obese increased by 37% ."

So knowing this, why are fat people allowed on television when they are promoting a dangerous and preventable way of life? They should only be on TV to promote weight loss. And considering the burden they will cost the NHS through diabetes etc, the overweight and obese should be socially stigmatised due to the cost and selfish effect their obesity has on others. On top of that you have people like Adele who seems to think being obese is just to do with image. Imagine if she was smoking and made the claim that she wasn't going to change because she never saw a reason. Frankly she's a terrible person for giving such a bad message to today's youth when being overweight and obesity are on the increase.

So in short, ban the overweight and obese from TV for the good of the country. The health figures all point towards it so why are people ignoring the problem?
    don't ban obese people from TV, ban the cause of obesity, McDonalds, Burger King, fatty food adverts on TV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    :rofl: :facepalm:
    Learn to read. Go back to the beginning and start again. :rolleyes:
    I'm sorry, I don't think I was replying to you.

I think we've established that you try to make yourself feel better by inserting sarcastic smiley faces in your posts. Whatever makes your life bearable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    don't ban obese people from TV, ban the cause of obesity, McDonalds, Burger King, fatty food adverts on TV
    But that's a fallacy.
    As long as you exercise etc, junk food won't make you fat.
    I'm sorry, I don't think I was replying to you.

I think we've established that you try to make yourself feel better by inserting sarcastic smiley faces in your posts. Whatever makes your life bearable.
    Just admit it. You don't have a ****ing clue and should stop commenting on this thread. You bring anecdotal evidence up & mistake what the thread is about.
    Go you! :top:

ReputationRep:
    I put on weight due to being on the contraceptive injection. So nothing to do with my choice of company. Had a doctor confirm that the injection had led to me putting on weight and was preventing me from losing it again (gym 4 times a week for a few months had no real weight loss effects). I then promptly came off it. I'm on the implant now and have lost weight, getting back to my original size.

That's not what the thread's about, the thread is about fat people making thin people fat. As the rest of your comment is based on my putting on weight due to being friends with overweight people, and that not being true, I feel no need to dispute what you're saying.
    Please reread my original post as you have clearly misread it.

I am suggesting that being friends with fit people would have kept you in shape.
    That is different to your fat friends being a catalyst in making you fat.

Impossible weight loss does not exist. You are implying that you could not starve as you could not lose weight. All you needed to do was address your diet and exercise routine as this would have combated the change in metabolism and hormones.
    This is my point about having fit friends. They could have told you this. However as you were around fat friends they could not thus you gained weight.

So to clarify my point which you missed, there is a higher chance of you staying in shape if you are around healthier people compared to people who are not as healthy ergo ban fat from everywhere and replace with fit people and more people would be healthier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Just admit it. You don't have a ****ing clue and should stop commenting on this thread. You bring anecdotal evidence up &amp; mistake what the thread is about.
    Go you! :top:
    For one, I was quoted by someone and replied to their mistaken post with a correction. I had stopped posting in the thread until this point :rolleyes:

Yes I used anecdotal evidence as thousands of others do in threads like this on a day to day basis.

I'm sorry, is your thread not about fat people influencing others to be fat also?

ReputationRep:
    Please reread my original post as you have clearly misread it.

I am suggesting that being friends with fit people would have kept you in shape.
    That is different to your fat friends being a catalyst in making you fat.
    I had a range of friends of all different body types when I put the weight on.

Impossible weight loss does not exist. You are implying that you could not starve as you could not lose weight. All you needed to do was address your diet and exercise routine as this would have combated the change in metabolism and hormones.
    I did address my diet and exercise. Like I said, I went to the gym 4 times a week for 4 months, because I wasn't losing the weight I should have I went to the doctors. They told me to come off the injection and I started losing the weight I should have been losing.

This is my point about having fit friends. They could have told you this. However as you were around fat friends they could not thus you gained weight.

So to clarify my point which you missed, there is a higher chance of you staying in shape if you are around healthier people compared to people who are not as healthy ergo ban fat from everywhere and replace with fit people and more people would be healthier.
    This is laughable, are you seriously implying that all of my friends were fat? In fact, around the time I put on the weight I had only one friend that would look noticeably overweight.

I've always eaten healthily, probably because I prefer the taste.

ReputationRep:
    I had a range of friends of all different body types when I put the weight on.

I did address my diet and exercise. Like I said, I went to the gym 4 times a week for 4 months, because I wasn't losing the weight I should have I went to the doctors. They told me to come off the injection and I started losing the weight I should have been losing.

This is laughable, are you seriously implying that all of my friends were fat? In fact, around the time I put on the weight I had only one friend that would look noticeably overweight.

I've always eaten healthily, probably because I prefer the taste.
    But what if you only had fit friends?All studies show that you would have been less likely to put on weight for all the different ways they could have helped or influenced you.
    It is never impossible to not lose weight, simply harder.

Being fat is not the point, but being fit is. I shall say again, if you had been around more fit people then they would have probably suggested how you could have lost weight OR that you may have already been going to the gym due to their influence.

ReputationRep:
    But what if you only had fit friends?All studies show that you would have been less likely to put on weight for all the different ways they could have helped or influenced you.
    It is never impossible to not lose weight, simply harder.

Being fat is not the point, but being fit is. I shall say again, if you had been around more fit people then they would have probably suggested how you could have lost weight OR that you may have already been going to the gym due to their influence.
    Fair enough on this point. Perhaps if I did only have fit friends I wouldn't have put on as much weight or I would have been motivated to lose the weight faster.
    No matter if you believe me or not, it doesn't change the fact that if I wasn't on the injection, I wouldn't have put the weight on. So my friendship circle didn't affect my gaining weight, but probably the losing of the weight instead. It's also important to note that the weight gain wasn't overnight, it took a while for it to register with me. When I was at the size 10 point, I didn't go the gym so until I saw the fact I'd put on x amount of weight, I continued with that lifestyle.

I think I did misread your post and I understand what you're saying now but not everything you said was true of my situation.

EDIT: Yes, weight loss isn't impossible, I was probably exaggerating there. The weight loss was insignificant though.

ReputationRep:

:wavey:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.