Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Erm...people smoke on TV. Maybe not in adverts but during shows like Eastenders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    Nah, don't ban it from the television.

I think that introducing a 'fat tax' would be more beneficial as the financial strain on the NHS caused by those who are clinically obese is ridiculous.
    this is one of the best ideas i've ever heard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt)
    So the government should strictly tell us what we can and can't drink/eat/consume/enjoy? Please.

People watch TV to be entertained. Shockingly, people who are fat do sometimes have the ability to be entertaining. 'Role-models' have different roles. An actor should be a model of a good acting, a fitness instuctor should be a model of good health, and even then this doesn't always happen.

The fact of the matter is Matzy, that you have no right to tell people what they can and can't be. So get over it.
    Please what? Please make sure you don't kill yourself? No one in their right mind should do something that is grossly unhealthy, simple as that.
    Smokers could be entertaining but guess what is more important than self gratification? Making sure people aren't given bad influences.
    And you are overlooking the major factor that fact people effect those around them regardless of if those want to be effected or not. Last I checked if your actions resulted in harming someone, that is assault. Because of this, fat people should be banned from TV to emphasise it is not publicly acceptable.
    And what is your BMI out of curiosity?
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    I've never seen a fat person anywhere and thought "I want to look like them" - I'm fat because I learnt to see food as a comfort and grew up relying on it to get me through things I found difficult.

All those things do have an influence on other people - you think Skins doesn't suggest to people that it's OK to take drugs, sleep around and drink til you vomit/pass out on a regular basis?

By banning overweight people from TV you aren't going to solve the problem of obesity - people will still be overweight. I can't imagine it will help the growing numbers of eating disorder sufferers either, or bullying etc.
    If fat was socially unacceptable would you comfort eat? Probably not. And think about those that may be tempted to eat excessively because their favourite singer is fat etc. Just because you weren't influenced by a fat person doesn't mean someone else won't be - in fact the evidence points to the contrary.
    Don't digress - this is about weight, not drugs etc. The issue with Skins is that drugs is generally self inflicted with no harm to anyone else. As research has shown, this is not the case with being overweight.
    Too many people look for ways to avoid problems instead of dealing with them. Maybe once all the vices are gone people will start to deal maturely with their issues? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    If fat was socially unacceptable would you comfort eat? Probably not. And think about those that may be tempted to eat excessively because their favourite singer is fat etc. Just because you weren't influenced by a fat person doesn't mean someone else won't be - in fact the evidence points to the contrary.
    Don't digress - this is about weight, not drugs etc. The issue with Skins is that drugs is generally self inflicted with no harm to anyone else. As research has shown, this is not the case with being overweight.
    Too many people look for ways to avoid problems instead of dealing with them. Maybe once all the vices are gone people will start to deal maturely with their issues? :dontknow:
    I don't know - I was about five when I started comfort eating and didn't know how to deal with my problems maturely. I don't think I ever considered whether it was socially acceptable or not - I just found something that made me happy; or made me feel happy - and stuck with it.

I do know it's wrong to be overweight; I've been told so since I was eight and a relative told me I was fat - in front of all my relatives at a family meal. Doesn't make me eat less - just made me more unhappy and made me eat more, sometimes out of pure defiance and anger too.

I still can't see how me being overweight could cause problems for another person - and drugs etc do cause problems for other people, if that wasn't the case there'd be no issues with taking them!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know - I was about five when I started comfort eating and didn't know how to deal with my problems maturely. I don't think I ever considered whether it was socially acceptable or not - I just found something that made me happy; or made me feel happy - and stuck with it.

I do know it's wrong to be overweight; I've been told so since I was eight and a relative told me I was fat - in front of all my relatives at a family meal. Doesn't make me eat less - just made me more unhappy and made me eat more, sometimes out of pure defiance and anger too.

I still can't see how me being overweight could cause problems for another person - and drugs etc do cause problems for other people, if that wasn't the case there'd be no issues with taking them!
    :facepalm:
    Read the first post. It shows how weight can influence those around you to increase their weight. Drugs are illegal because they are highly addictive and dangerous. Last I checked a Big Mac didn't kill you outright, nor was it addictive enough to destroy a country.
    Why don't you lose weight though? You'd feel better mentally and physically...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    :facepalm:
    Read the first post. It shows how weight can influence those around you to increase their weight. Drugs are illegal because they are highly addictive and dangerous. Last I checked a Big Mac didn't kill you outright, nor was it addictive enough to destroy a country.
    Why don't you lose weight though? You'd feel better mentally and physically...
    I am trying been put on meds to see if they can go some way to relieving underlying problems, plus counselling - which my GP seems to think will lead to me not wanting to comfort eat as much, hence the weight would start to come off. Plus been told to exercise more - which would also do something for my mental health. I do agree with you though - being slim would be the best thing ever haha.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be able to live without my Jeremy Kyle.

I sometimes think average sized people who ridicule people for being overweight are overcompensating for something. Why point out people's flaws and weaknesses that they're already aware of rather than just focusing on bettering themselves? Do people really need the ego boost that much that they have to put everyone else down in order to feel better about their own bodies or somewhat fragile personalities?

And fat people on TV aren't a problem, we have widescreen now.

ReputationRep:
    'Fattist'? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I am trying been put on meds to see if they can go some way to relieving underlying problems, plus counselling - which my GP seems to think will lead to me not wanting to comfort eat as much, hence the weight would start to come off. Plus been told to exercise more - which would also do something for my mental health. I do agree with you though - being slim would be the best thing ever haha.
    Well good luck with that - here is some inspiration that if you put your mind to it anything is possible
    Before
    Spoiler:
    Show

After
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    There are too many funny fat people to ban fatties from TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Please what? Please make sure you don't kill yourself? No one in their right mind should do something that is grossly unhealthy, simple as that.
    Smokers could be entertaining but guess what is more important than self gratification? Making sure people aren't given bad influences.
    And you are overlooking the major factor that fact people effect those around them regardless of if those want to be effected or not. Last I checked if your actions resulted in harming someone, that is assault. Because of this, fat people should be banned from TV to emphasise it is not publicly acceptable.
    And what is your BMI out of curiosity?

For your curiosity Matzy, I'm overweight. My BMI is by the by. And being overweight isn't an issue for me, because although it might seem impossible to you, I'm comfortable in my own skin.

What research? Sources?

Taking drugs can harm other people. If your role-model takes drugs, you might think it's a good idea and take drugs. You don't choose to be overweight, it happens as a side effect to choosing a bad lifestyle. Being overweight is often a consequence of a poor lifestyle, taking drugs is a choice.

So, my existance is an assault? Ouch.

Your actions could be emotionally harming fat people. You need to look at things from both sides, Matzy. And also, you need to stop contradicting yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Ban fat people in public places too, i sit down to have a drink and I'm bombarded with all this second hand eating, i'm now clinically obese and I've never touched a pie (fat people like pies right)

ReputationRep:
    For your curiosity Matzy, I'm overweight. My BMI is by the by. And being overweight isn't an issue for me, because although it might seem impossible to you, I'm comfortable in my own skin.

What research? Sources?

Taking drugs can harm other people. If your role-model takes drugs, you might think it's a good idea and take drugs. You don't choose to be overweight, it happens as a side effect to choosing a bad lifestyle. Being overweight is often a consequence of a poor lifestyle, taking drugs is a choice.

So, my existance is an assault? Ouch.

Your actions could be emotionally harming fat people. You need to look at things from both sides, Matzy. And also, you need to stop contradicting yourself.
    So being overweight isn't an issue for you? Call the WHO! You clearly are an exception to the human species who has no negative effects caused by obesity! :rolleyes:
    So you are in denial. Awesome.
    The source is in the original post :facepalm:
    Drugs are illegal... So nice one on backing up why fat people should be banned from TV.
    Being overweight is a choice - the choice to eat too much. Taking drugs is also a choice. Stop living in your own world.

How am I contradicting myself? I have presented a valid argument. If you can't deal with it that is your problem, not mine - I have facts & figures on my side.

ReputationRep:
    You're fat, aren't you, and trying to pass the blame?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, nice statistics and facts, I'm on your side!
    This coutry doesn't want to be like America (no offense to any Americans) lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    So being overweight isn't an issue for you? Call the WHO! You clearly are an exception to the human species who has no negative effects caused by obesity! :rolleyes:
    So you are in denial. Awesome.
    The source is in the original post :facepalm:
    Drugs are illegal... So nice one on backing up why fat people should be banned from TV.
    Being overweight is a choice - the choice to eat too much. Taking drugs is also a choice. Stop living in your own world.

How am I contradicting myself? I have presented a valid argument. If you can't deal with it that is your problem, not mine - I have facts & figures on my side.
    So you can just put my views to one side on the matter because oh of course! I'm in denial! And you, a person who has never met me, doesn't know my real name, has no idea what I look like or who I am, YOU are the best judge of that. Well, silly me.

It was you that said that drugs did no harm to people, but being fat did. So nice one having logic.

We've had this argument before Matzy, you and I are never going to see eye to eye on the issue. I would just like you to remember that people are people and they all have a right to be, okay?

ReputationRep:
    Increasing obesity is caused my our Western lifestyle and that's just a small bonus of our 'improved lifestyle'. If u really can't stand the fatties then you've got to destroy the pseudo world we wake up to every morning; humanity has gone to far. Just wish we hurried up and destroyed ourselves and then finally the world may lie in peace

Anyway those who are dissing the fatties are probably a bunch of skinny fat pussies

ReputationRep:
    I am amazed at the amount of stereotypical garbage in this thread, people are fat get over it. There are different types of fat people, some may want to be fat, you have no choice on that. If you want to live your life being the healthiest you can try to be then do it but don't hate others because they don't. I don't so I don't become a prick like you.

ReputationRep:
    So you can just put my views to one side on the matter because oh of course! I'm in denial! And you, a person who has never met me, doesn't know my real name, has no idea what I look like or who I am, YOU are the best judge of that. Well, silly me.

It was you that said that drugs did no harm to people, but being fat did. So nice one having logic.

We've had this argument before Matzy, you and I are never going to see eye to eye on the issue. I would just like you to remember that people are people and they all have a right to be, okay?
    You are human, ergo excessive weight is a problem for you due to your biology. Deal with it, but don't deny it.
    No I said drugs didn't harm other people in the way that obesity does - read the original post for ****s sake.

All the facts & figures are against you kid.
    (Original post by bzly)
    You're fat, aren't you, and trying to pass the blame?
    Far from it...:rofl:
    If I was fat would I be trying to ban myself from TV? :facepalm:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.