Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    The things you mentioned as being unhealthy are not as bad as being fat. And also, not as common.
    Binge drinking isn't common? Someone hasn't been out on friday/saturday night lately...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    More and more evidence is pointing towards the idea that banning fat people from the media would be beneficial for society. Now there will probably be an outcry to this, throwing words like 'fattist' around, so here is some perspective:

Smoking

Smoking has been done for numerous reasons such as rituals, narcotics and so on, with the main goal of cigarettes to be to deliver nicotine to the smoker.
    The facts & health effects of smoking:

- Smoking is preventable
    - There are estimated to be one billion smokers
    - Male and female smokers lose an average of 13.2 and 14.5 years of life
    - UK studies show that smokers in their 30s and 40s are five times more likely to have a heart attack than non-smokers.
    - Numerous cancers
    - Heart disease
    - Second-hand smoke which has the effects of cancer, lung disease etc.
    - Infections, lung disease etc.

Due to the above the E.U. and World Health Organisation have both specified that the advertising of tobacco should not be allowed, resulting in bans in tobacco advertisement. It has also been noticed that in Hollywood films, smoking is seen a lot less than in previous decades. China is also following this trend.

Now here are the facts to do with the overweight and obese:

Overweight & Obese

- Obesity is preventable
    - There is estimated to be 1.5 billion overweight people, with 300 million being obese
    - On average, obesity reduces life expectancy by six to seven years
    - 44% of the diabetes burden, 23% of the ischaemic heart disease burden and between 7% and 41% of certain cancer burdens are attributable to overweight and obesity throughout the world
    - In a study men aged 40 to 65 years with a BMI >25 but <29 had a 72% increased risk of nonfatal or fatal coronary heart disease.
    - Being obese effects those around you:

"A person's chances of becoming obese increased by 57% if he or she had a friend who became obese in a given interval. Among pairs of adult siblings, if one sibling became obese, the chance that the other would become obese increased by 40%. If one spouse became obese, the likelihood that the other spouse would become obese increased by 37% ."

So knowing this, why are fat people allowed on television when they are promoting a dangerous and preventable way of life? They should only be on TV to promote weight loss. And considering the burden they will cost the NHS through diabetes etc, the overweight and obese should be socially stigmatised due to the cost and selfish effect their obesity has on others. On top of that you have people like Adele who seems to think being obese is just to do with image. Imagine if she was smoking and made the claim that she wasn't going to change because she never saw a reason. Frankly she's a terrible person for giving such a bad message to today's youth when being overweight and obesity are on the increase.

So in short, ban the overweight and obese from TV for the good of the country. The health figures all point towards it so why are people ignoring the problem?
    Do you not think that people are able to decide for themselves whether they wish to be obese or not? It seems pretty weak to me to suggest that seeing more fat people on a screen will inevitably cause more people to be fat.

Fat people are bad role models? Do you think they should be stripped of a right to have children then?

People, especially women, are already under societal pressure to be thin thanks to the mainstream media. I don't see how banning fat people from TV will do anything other than fuel this paradox of a utopian standard.

And no, before you ask, my BMI is not >25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Do you not think that people are able to decide for themselves whether they wish to be obese or not? It seems pretty weak to me to suggest that seeing more fat people on a screen will inevitably cause more people to be fat.

Fat people are bad role models? Do you think they should be stripped of a right to have children then?

People, especially women, are already under societal pressure to be thin thanks to the mainstream media. I don't see how banning fat people from TV will do anything other than fuel this paradox of a utopian standard.

And no, before you ask, my BMI is not >25.
    Let's get something straight.
    People, generally, are not all that bright. Think about the power of the brain, and then all the stupid **** people do.
    Now in an ideal world, there should be some kind of governing body to look after these people and make decisions on their behalf to ensure their best quality of life....Oh wait that's the government.

There is zero advantage to being overweight. It is exactly like illegal narcotics - a temporary rush with severe health consequences. If you can logically explain why someone who was sane would chose to be overweight, maybe then you have a case. Until then it should be treated like illegal narcotics.

More fat people on screen suggests being overweight+ is acceptable and not a problem. This obviously is not the case and should not be promoted as being socially acceptable.

Yes I do think fat people shouldn't be allowed children. Having seen many fat families the parents should be done for child abuse.

Wrong, wrong & wrong. Nature says women should be thin, not the media.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1450150
    Banning fat people would help women to reaffirm what is considered beautiful instead of having tabloid bull**** confusing them into not knowing what is and isn't deemed attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Let's get something straight.
    People, generally, are not all that bright. Think about the power of the brain, and then all the stupid **** people do.
    Now in an ideal world, there should be some kind of governing body to look after these people and make decisions on their behalf to ensure their best quality of life....Oh wait that's the government.

There is zero advantage to being overweight. It is exactly like illegal narcotics - a temporary rush with severe health consequences. If you can logically explain why someone who was sane would chose to be overweight, maybe then you have a case. Until then it should be treated like illegal narcotics.

More fat people on screen suggests being overweight+ is acceptable and not a problem. This obviously is not the case and should not be promoted as being socially acceptable.

Yes I do think fat people shouldn't be allowed children. Having seen many fat families the parents should be done for child abuse.

Wrong, wrong & wrong. Nature says women should be thin, not the media.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1450150
    Banning fat people would help women to reaffirm what is considered beautiful instead of having tabloid bull**** confusing them into not knowing what is and isn't deemed attractive.
    It's not the government's job to make decisions for people to ensure the best quality of life. It's the government's job to stay out of the way and allow people to decide for themselves what a good life is. If they decide it's eating cheetos all day there is nothing anyone can or should do to change that. I do think, however, that obese people should be vetted before receiving treatment on the NHS for ailments relating to their weight.

"Why do people choose to be overweight" is a loaded question. Nobody wants to be obese, it's either the result of a psychological or physiological affliction.

Nature doesn't say women should be thin. Nature says women should be of a healthy weight. I'll say it again, banning fat people from TV will reinforce the existing social stigma surrounding body weight, causing many women of healthy weight to view themselves as not being good enough.

I won't waste my time replying a third time. I've made my point.

ReputationRep:
    you are quite the strange one arent you? what kind of person declares somebody else not fit to be on television.

absolute crap.
    AND SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED CHILDREN?
    sorry.. but you are going down the path of hitler there.

ReputationRep:
    You hardly ever see any really fat people on telly unless it's a reality programme about bizarre weight loss methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellziii)
    Binge drinking isn't common? Someone hasn't been out on friday/saturday night lately...
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    It's not the government's job to make decisions for people to ensure the best quality of life. It's the government's job to stay out of the way and allow people to decide for themselves what a good life is. If they decide it's eating cheetos all day there is nothing anyone can or should do to change that. I do think, however, that obese people should be vetted before receiving treatment on the NHS for ailments relating to their weight.

"Why do people choose to be overweight" is a loaded question. Nobody wants to be obese, it's either the result of a psychological or physiological affliction.

Nature doesn't say women should be thin. Nature says women should be of a healthy weight. I'll say it again, banning fat people from TV will reinforce the existing social stigma surrounding body weight, causing many women of healthy weight to view themselves as not being good enough.

I won't waste my time replying a third time. I've made my point.
    If it's not the government's job to make decisions for people to ensure the best quality of life then how do you explain law? :facepalm:

No one sane wants to be obese ergo if being obese isn't seen as acceptable maybe it would result in people dealing with their issues instead of skirting the issue.
    Read the ****ing sources. Nature says BMI 19-20 and WHR 0.7 is the most attractive form for a woman. So instead of spouting your own ignorance, look at the facts.

Fact is you won't reply because your argument is nothing but puerile bull****. You are ignoring facts and figures to spout some liberal rhetoric. Come back when you are ready to have a mature discussion instead of talking childish **** whilst ignoring facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ee-)
    you are quite the strange one arent you? what kind of person declares somebody else not fit to be on television.

absolute crap.
    AND SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED CHILDREN?
    sorry.. but you are going down the path of hitler there.
    Well smoking has been reduced in films and removed as much as possible from Chinese TV - did you even read the ****ing first post or that too much to ask?
    They shouldn't be allowed children because they tend to make extremely bad parents. When did Hitler have a stance on parenting skills? :rolleyes: Come back when you've something more than juvenile comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    And it is quite clear that only those who are fat or have low IQs are opposed to my idea. The fact that you completely ignore the role of the government and law is worrying and extremely ignorant. So use ad hominems all you like, it just goes to show how pathetic your defence is.
    I don't believe I'm ignorant of the role of government; in Western liberal society it is not the government's job to tell people how to live, contrary to what you believe.

If you'll notice, I wasn't actually talking to you, or using that comment to argue against anything you have said. So no, it wasn't ad hominem. You don't seem to have rebutted it though, and you are getting quite angry. So my bet is that it was right on the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Well smoking has been reduced in films and removed as much as possible from Chinese TV - did you even read the ****ing first post or that too much to ask?
    They shouldn't be allowed children because they tend to make extremely bad parents. When did Hitler have a stance on parenting skills? :rolleyes: Come back when you've something more than juvenile comments.
    being fat =/= being a bad parent.

Come back when you've had a think, Matzy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt)
    being fat =/= being a bad parent.

Come back when you've had a think, Matzy.
    :facepalm:
    Yes it does because it is showing the child a poor state of health. Even if they were to advocate being healthy, it merely makes them a hypocrite.
    Clearly you haven't thought about this in any depth.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe I'm ignorant of the role of government; in Western liberal society it is not the government's job to tell people how to live, contrary to what you believe.

If you'll notice, I wasn't actually talking to you, or using that comment to argue against anything you have said. So no, it wasn't ad hominem. You don't seem to have rebutted it though, and you are getting quite angry. So my bet is that it was right on the money.
    The law dictates guidelines you have to follow in order to live freely. If you don't follow them, you are subjected to being thrown in a cell.
    Yes it was an ad hominem because you tried to devalue my argument by claiming my age would make my view invalid. That is an ad hominem.
    And no, I'm not a 15 year old keyboard warrior & I'd happily tell this to your face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    :facepalm:
    Yes it does because it is showing the child a poor state of health. Even if they were to advocate being healthy, it merely makes them a hypocrite.
    Clearly you haven't thought about this in any depth.
    I get you want people to be healty Matzy, but you can't just go around saying things like that. You have no proof that fat people make bad parents. Bad PEOPLE make bad parents. Just get over it. Some people are fat, and you're not even managing to offend anymore. Give up. No one cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    The law dictates guidelines you have to follow in order to live freely. If you don't follow them, you are subjected to being thrown in a cell.
    Yes it was an ad hominem because you tried to devalue my argument by claiming my age would make my view invalid. That is an ad hominem.
    And no, I'm not a 15 year old keyboard warrior & I'd happily tell this to your face.
    The law sets limits on your freedom where it infracts the rights of others. The state is rightfully neutral on conceptions of what a good life is. That is the definition of liberalism. The UK is a liberal democracy.

I did not claim that your age makes your view invalid. If I have no proof of your age, how can I use it ad hominem? At best my statement could have been interpreted as drawing conclusions about your character from a prior assessment of the nature of your argument. That is not ad hominem.

ReputationRep:
    I get you want people to be healty Matzy, but you can't just go around saying things like that. You have no proof that fat people make bad parents. Bad PEOPLE make bad parents. Just get over it. Some people are fat, and you're not even managing to offend anymore. Give up. No one cares.
    How about you address what I said? A fat parent tends to overfeed their children. If they insist on health, they are hypocrites.
    Everyone wants to be healthy because it means the best way of life/life. No one sane chooses to have a bad way of life.
    The only problem here is that you are fat and instead of saying "Yes it's a problem but I can't be arsed to do anything about it" you are trying to justify it.
    Give me one good reason someone would chose to be overweight as opposed to healthy.

ReputationRep:
    The law sets limits on your freedom where it infracts the rights of others. The state is rightfully neutral on conceptions of what a good life is. That is the definition of liberalism. The UK is a liberal democracy.

I did not claim that your age makes your view invalid. If I have no proof of your age, how can I use it ad hominem? At best my statement could have been interpreted as drawing conclusions about your character from a prior assessment of the nature of your argument. That is not ad hominem.
    Being fat effects others - read the first ****ing post.
    If it was not an insult then please explain what you meant by "15 yr old keyboard warrior".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Being fat effects others - read the first ****ing post.
    If it was not an insult then please explain what you meant by "15 yr old keyboard warrior".
    Whether or not it was an insult is irrelevant. And on the topic of offense, there are many things which affect others and are not the business of the government because they do not affect others' rights. There's no such thing as a right not to be fat. The links between obese parents and obese children you allude to in your first post could just as easily be explained by genetic factors as environmental ones, and whether it's nature or nurture it has nothing to do with rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    How about you address what I said? A fat parent tends to overfeed their children. If they insist on health, they are hypocrites.
    Everyone wants to be healthy because it means the best way of life/life. No one sane chooses to have a bad way of life.
    The only problem here is that you are fat and instead of saying "Yes it's a problem but I can't be arsed to do anything about it" you are trying to justify it.
    Give me one good reason someone would chose to be overweight as opposed to healthy.
    Alright Matzy, you obviously know how much I do about my weight. You know exactly how a fat person would parent there child. OF COURSE YOU DO.
    I have already said that we are never going to agree. If you want to get all uptight about something that barely matters, then feel free. Goodbye to you, sir.

ReputationRep:
    Alright Matzy, you obviously know how much I do about my weight. You know exactly how a fat person would parent there child. OF COURSE YOU DO.
    I have already said that we are never going to agree. If you want to get all uptight about something that barely matters, then feel free. Goodbye to you, sir.
    So the health of a child doesn't matter? :eek:
    Clearly you know I am right as you have not given a direct rebuttal and instead skirted the issue.
    If a fat person insists on the child being healthy, they are a hypocrite. If they overfeed the child, they are causing the child to be in a bad state of health. Ergo fat parents cannot be good parents. Care to elaborate why this is wrong or going to go into a further state of denial?
    Whether or not it was an insult is irrelevant. And on the topic of offense, there are many things which affect others and are not the business of the government because they do not affect others' rights. There's no such thing as a right not to be fat. The links between obese parents and obese children you allude to in your first post could just as easily be explained by genetic factors as environmental ones, and whether it's nature or nurture it has nothing to do with rights.
    If it was an insult, it was an ad hominem showing the quality of your points.
    Being fat effects the rights of others to a healthy life. Derp. Simple **** this.
    There is a right to be healthy therefore remove fat people from TV at the very least.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.