Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like fat people, just don't date them and leave them alone?

People need to learn to stop taking such an interest in others' lives, and live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    bold
    Agree with all your posts in this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Agree with all your posts in this.
    Ah so we meet again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    I like how you think that anyone who disagrees must be overweight. Anyway, BMI doesn't tell you if you're fat. A Body builder can have a BMI of over 30 because muscle weighs more than fat.

Oh and before you accuse me of being fat for thinking you're wrong, my BMI (seeing as that's what you go by) is 20.5.
    But I don't and I was right with those who I called out on it, so what is your point? Why don't you just ignore my entire first post and go off on some tangent? :rolleyes:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    If you don't like fat people, just don't date them and leave them alone?

People need to learn to stop taking such an interest in others' lives, and live and let live.
    Or how about you address the first post and don't post a completely irrelevant reply?
    :FYI: I don't date fat people, and never well...
    You have completely ignored the fact that fat people negatively influence others weight. When someone else negatively influences those around them, something should be done, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Alcohol & extreme sports are not inherently unhealthy meaning the parent can raise the child healthily without being a hypocrite.
    Obviously it should be apparent I do not think smokers should have children, something doctors also support (don't smoke if you are pregnant).
    Alcohol is a much as a problem as smoking or obesity and it is most definately unhealthy. Extreme sports may not be unhealthy in itself, but it carries a lot of unnecessary risks for the individual. Why not ban it?

Therefore, using your logic, the parent would be a hypocrite for telling a child to be healthy if they drink, in the same way as they would be if they were overweight. Doctors also say 'don't drink while pregnant' too, don't they? A parent who takes part in extreme sports cannot tell their child to 'stay safe' without being a hypocrite either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)
    Alcohol is a much as a problem as smoking or obesity and it is most definately unhealthy. Extreme sports may not be unhealthy in itself, but it carries a lot of unnecessary risks for the individual. Why not ban it?

Therefore, using your logic, the parent would be a hypocrite for telling a child to be healthy if they drink, in the same way as they would be if they were overweight. Doctors also say 'don't drink while pregnant' too, don't they? A parent who takes part in extreme sports cannot tell their child to 'stay safe' without being a hypocrite either.
    HAHAHA Your username!

I actually think you have a point though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    But I don't and I was right with those who I called out on it, so what is your point? Why don't you just ignore my entire first post and go off on some tangent? :rolleyes:
    I didn't ignore your first post, I read it and formed my own opinion. I then came to the conclusion after reading your other posts that anything I said in seriousness would be met with a condescending comment and one of these: ':rolleyes:' (I wasn't wrong). Anyway, as long as you're going to be sensible here is what I think:

First of all, it's not practical. Reality shows, Sitcoms, Soaps amongst many other TV staples will all have to pretty much shut down because they all thrive on replicating real life and fat people, like it or not (which clearly you don't), exist in real life. In the same vein, where do you stop? Do you ban people under stress? Stress causes health problems, so surely by having a stressed character on TV would encourage others to be stressed. That's just one thing I can think of straight away, there are plenty of preventable causes of poor health depicted on TV. It's a slippery slope.
    You use the smoking example, and like many other people have said your logic doesn't fit. It's the act of smoking which is banned in adverts. That is the source of health problems. Surely that means that it is junk food and other poor nutritional options should be banned in adverts? I don't think you've properly answered that yet.

So yeh, that's an abridged version of my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    HAHAHA Your username!

I actually think you have a point though.
    It's true...

Thanks, I'm just trying to show him why his logic is flawed. He seems to believe fat parents are automatically bad parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)

Or how about you address the first post and don't post a completely irrelevant reply?
    :FYI: I don't date fat people, and never well...
    You have completely ignored the fact that fat people negatively influence others weight. When someone else negatively influences those around them, something should be done, no?
    Who the hell is influenced by fat people? If you're influenced by anything, you're a pretty weak person really. Also no one is advertising being fat, like they were advertising cigarettes. You would have had more of an argument if you had said "advertising unhealthy food on television should be banned." Cigarettes still feature on television, in programmes, films etc. Some characters in things like that have to be fat.

Also, being fat isn't and never has been 'cool', as smoking once was. So people aren't going to be all "Adele is a good singer, I'll go and gain a lot of weight so I can be like her!". People will do what they want, whatever you do. Drugs are illegal, people still take them. We know cigarettes are harmful, people still smoke. You will never erradicate habits like that. The best way to combat it (if you want to combat it...) would be to increase the prices of unhealthy food.

And as for the last part, I don't believe in a nanny state, and I don't think the government should censor anything off television if I'm honest (unless it concerns national security.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    So you think it was a fascist move to remove smoking adverts?
    There's a difference between removing smoking adverts and removing smokers -- the latter are still allowed on TV as long as they don't aggrandise smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    <snip>
    So you'd ban people from TV or radio, regardless of how good they do their job (which is the important bit) just because of their size (which is the unimportant bit)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Who the hell is influenced by fat people? If you're influenced by anything, you're a pretty weak person really. Also no one is advertising being fat, like they were advertising cigarettes. You would have had more of an argument if you had said "advertising unhealthy food on television should be banned." Cigarettes still feature on television, in programmes, films etc. Some characters in things like that have to be fat.

Also, being fat isn't and never has been 'cool', as smoking once was. So people aren't going to be all "Adele is a good singer, I'll go and gain a lot of weight so I can be like her!". People will do what they want, whatever you do. Drugs are illegal, people still take them. We know cigarettes are harmful, people still smoke. You will never erradicate habits like that. The best way to combat it (if you want to combat it...) would be to increase the prices of unhealthy food.

And as for the last part, I don't believe in a nanny state, and I don't think the government should censor anything off television if I'm honest (unless it concerns national security.
    Maybe he was rejected by a fat girl once?

ReputationRep:
    Smoking has been considered 'cool', I don't think being fat has ever been considered 'cool'.
    How can you be so sure? With celebrities like Adele saying there is nothing wrong with it and refusing to lose weight, how do you know this will not be seen as 'cool' by a younger generation? It's only because of your predisposition to weight do you think it's not cool, something children do not have.
    Hang on, this reminds me of something.
    Isn't this what you to say anyone who disagrees with you?
    a) They're overweight
    b) They're immature/juvenile
    And my personal favourite:
    c) "You can't read English"
    See underlined bold quote for irony.
    Yes I made a typo. Boo-****ing-hoo. And guess what, two of the people have turned out to be overweight. Either I'm a prophet or there seems to be a trend in those who are against anything that speaks badly of the overweight. A lot of the arguments are immature as they are merely ad hominems and completely ignore the facts & figures in the first post.

I don't think being overweight falls into that category. Assault is a crime. Shall we lock up all the fatties?
    I'm pretty sure there'a already a negative stigma attached to being overweight. It's not socially acceptable
    Not in the overweight range
    Being fat is socially unacceptable. Why do fat children get bullied? Why are there so many fat jokes? Why are there threads like "my friend is 26 stone and wants a GF" and everybody laughs at the fatty. Being fat is not socially acceptable...and people still comfort eat. Comfort eating/eating disorders are not solely triggered by what's socially acceptable
    I've never heard of this. If a singer is fat (and few fatties become popular singers) then it's fat jokes all round usually
    What evidence?
    So you're saying that in the case of serious drug addiction, there is no link to crime/violence in communities? Breakdown of families? Impact on the taxpayer (cost of healthcare, policing and judiciary systems?)
    If it helps prevent people from becoming unhealthy, sure, lock 'em up. It's hard to say you shouldn't when they have a negative impact on those around them. What reasoning are you using to say they shouldn't be?
    It's not socially acceptable and yet it's a) on the increase and b) celebrities pretty much endorse it e.g. Adele and James Corden.
    I never asked for your BMI...
    Being fat is far too accepted though. How many magazines print **** like "Gym bunnies vs REAL CURVES" implying that being overweight is somehow better and more attractive than being healthy. Head on over to the Daily Mail to see that media is far too supportive of being overweight.
    Depends on the drug. Not all drugs are highly additive and dangerous.

And alcohol is a legal drug that can be highly additive and dangerous.

Legal status of a drug is not a reliable indicator of safety or risk of addiction.
    Don't digress. I am talking about damaging narcotics and alcohol is a tricky one as a)it is not always harmful b) how long it's been in existence c)the role it has played in British life d)how unsuccessful prohibition was
    Being overweight is indeed associated with certain health problems, but that doesn't mean that all overweight people will have those health problems. Some people are overweight and do not have such health problems. Some overweight people are in fact, healthy and happy - shocker!
    Humans are wired to know what is and is not attractive. Please tell me how it will mentally benefit a person when they look in a mirror and see that their body is in an unattractive shape.
    Overweight people are not healthy due to the fact they are overweight :rolleyes:

The rest of your comments have already be dealt with. As for thin being attractive (read thin, not annorexic) read source 5 in the area to do with weight & attraction:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1450150

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)

This is not about alcohol do please do not digress.
    Is there any evidence suggesting that extreme sports reduces the average lifespan by 6-7 years, it causes a significant burden on healthcare and that it negatively influences those around the person who does said sport? As extreme sport is not inherently bad like being overweight, your point is redundant.
    Drinking is not inherently unhealthy. Your argument is ****.
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    I didn't ignore your first post, I read it and formed my own opinion. I then came to the conclusion after reading your other posts that anything I said in seriousness would be met with a condescending comment and one of these: ':rolleyes:' (I wasn't wrong). Anyway, as long as you're going to be sensible here is what I think:

First of all, it's not practical. Reality shows, Sitcoms, Soaps amongst many other TV staples will all have to pretty much shut down because they all thrive on replicating real life and fat people, like it or not (which clearly you don't), exist in real life. In the same vein, where do you stop? Do you ban people under stress? Stress causes health problems, so surely by having a stressed character on TV would encourage others to be stressed. That's just one thing I can think of straight away, there are plenty of preventable causes of poor health depicted on TV. It's a slippery slope.
    You use the smoking example, and like many other people have said your logic doesn't fit. It's the act of smoking which is banned in adverts. That is the source of health problems. Surely that means that it is junk food and other poor nutritional options should be banned in adverts? I don't think you've properly answered that yet.

So yeh, that's an abridged version of my opinion.
    It is practical. Smoking adverts which was a massive sponsor of Snooker was removed and it still got by. No one watches these shows to see fat people, therefore they can be removed from TV. People also smoke in real life but this is purposely given very little, if any, air time, therefore why can the same not be done for the obese.
    Ban stress? What ****ing relevance does that have? Unless you have a peer reviewed paper backing your point up, it's nothing more than a hollow claim. Stress may not be unavoidable and is not necessarily unhealthy - unpleasant, yes, a health problem? Not at all on the scale of weight. Question is why would you want to watch a stressed person in the first place? :confused:
    You are incorrectly looking at what makes someone overweight. Junk food doesn't make someone fat - inactivity and overeating makes someone fat to begin with. Now if you had a smoker on screen and said smoker was not smoking, all you can tell is that a person is on screen therefore in no way, shape or form is smoking being promoted. However if you have someone overweight on screen, even if they are not eating, you can tell they are overweight which says it is therefore acceptable to be overweight as the person is on television. Due to the visual impact of weight, you can promote weight without having to witness eating.
    You can eat **** food and not be overweight making your argument about junk food invalid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)

But weak people exist, otherwise removing smoking from TV in Finland, France, Norway etc wouldn't of had the result it had.
    It is being advertised as being socially acceptable, just like when smoking was in Hollywood films. As you obviously must know, smoking is as good as gone from most films, and China is removing it from TV. They were not advertising it yet the WHO still deemed it a good move to remove smoking from films & TV.
    You say that now, but with people like James Corden and Adele promoting being fat/saying there is no problem with it, how long until it is cool? Is it so absurd to think that a young girl who wants to be like Adele may think that being fat therefore is at the very least acceptable, if not a good thing?
    You can eat unhealthy food and still be in shape. Removing unhealthy food is not the problem. Now if being overweight was seen as being 100% unacceptable, would people still be keen to have that extra slice of pizza?
    If you don't think the government should censor anything from TV, you are misguided and have far too much trust in humanity - results of removing smoking adverts etc proves that controlling content can reap positive rewards.
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    There's a difference between removing smoking adverts and removing smokers -- the latter are still allowed on TV as long as they don't aggrandise smoking.
    It's frowned upon if anyone smokes on TV due to the subliminal advertising. Same can be said about letting fat people on screen. The difference is they don't need to eat to make people aware they are overweight.
    (Original post by AidanLunn)
    So you'd ban people from TV or radio, regardless of how good they do their job (which is the important bit) just because of their size (which is the unimportant bit)?
    What the **** does radio have to do with this? Nice strawman. Unless you think health isn't an important issue, their size is the important bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Why not pick and chose my posts instead of looking at them all? :rolleyes: It's a solid argument backed up with figures and facts whilst being clearly comparable to smoking. And I have 2:1 support in favour of the idea, not opposed. So yeah, if that's not good reasoning, then what is as it seems your criticism is completely arbitrary.
    Fat = unhealthy, self inflicted & a growing problem in this country. This is simple **** which even the most idiotic cretin knows. Having lived with fat people, education is not the issue, being ****ing lazy is.
    I know you're not fat but I guess you don't know many fat people and are speaking somewhat from a point of ignorance on the topic as you haven't even addressed my original point :confused:
    Hmmm, if I don't know many fat people then clearly the problem isn't as widespread as you think... just kidding, I know a few. I'm also pretty sure that none of them got fat because they used to watch Vicar of Dibley and decided that Dawn French would be their new role model.
    I agree to getting rid of fast food adverts on tv, but not all fat people. When you do get fat people on tv, their weight tends to be used as a joke, not as something to as[ire to.
    Also there are plenty of character traits associated with other weights, so you can't really use that, in the same way that you can't say that every single fat person is a lazy, undisciplined sack of ****. I also look how you haven't mentioned the other end of the spectrum- so you don't mind having underweight people on tv then?
    How are you going to enforce this? BMI? Does that mean that we won't be able to watch rugby on tv, since most of an international squad would probably be deemed overweight? How about historical programmes featuring say, Churchill, who was a bit on the plump side?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    You can eat unhealthy food and still be in shape. Removing unhealthy food is not the problem. Now if being overweight was seen as being 100% unacceptable, would people still be keen to have that extra slice of pizza?

. Unless you think health isn't an important issue, their size is the important bit
    Do you think health is important? If you want fat people to be removed from tv for health reasons then surely banning junk food adverts is obvious? After all, whilst thin people do eat junk food, it's not good for them either and food that are high in cholesterol and saturated fats are involved in the problems that we have with heart disease, as you mentioned in your first post. A fat person living off (a lot) of healthy food isn't going to be more unhealthy than a thin one who has a Maccy D and a litre of Diet Coke every day. So surely banning junk food adverts would be a good step, particularly if it means that kids aren't seeing then and being encourage to start eating fast food?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    This is not about alcohol do please do not digress.
    Is there any evidence suggesting that extreme sports reduces the average lifespan by 6-7 years, it causes a significant burden on healthcare and that it negatively influences those around the person who does said sport? As extreme sport is not inherently bad like being overweight, your point is redundant.
    Drinking is not inherently unhealthy. Your argument is ****.
    That's the point, why isn't this about alcohol too? The points you are making about smoking & obesity can easily be applied to alcohol too. Do I need to name the problems caused by alcohol before you address this?

It seems as though you have double-standards Mazty.

The point about extreme sports was in regards to your parenting crap. If overweight parents are hypocrites, so are parents who take part in extreme sports using your logic.

ReputationRep:
    You can't ban fat people from TV. It wouldn't reflect the reality of our society and would come across as being extremely discriminatory. Why not ban all the anorexic dolly girls who have one brain cell on these programmes such as Hollyoaks who are advocating something far worse? This thread sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Well good luck with that - here is some inspiration that if you put your mind to it anything is possible
    Before
    Spoiler:
    Show

After
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is that second thing a burnt deckchair?

First one has the kinda body I like tbh

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.