Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Aww, you got my hopes up
    Mine too :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)
    Mine too :sigh:
    Just noticed you're a medic. Nice, congrats on the offer =)

ReputationRep:
    But there's already positive peer pressure.

Nobody likes a fatty
    Fat jokes all round.
    Being fat is seen as a negative/unsexy/unattractive thing
    But look at the daily mail and other magazines that still promote that curves are a good thing and result from being fat.
    There is certainly a mixed message out there as to sizes etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    But look at the daily mail and other magazines that still promote that curves are a good thing and result from being fat.
    There is certainly a mixed message out there as to sizes etc.
    Those kinda stories are retarded. Curves/being healthy and fit are one thing, letting yourself go is another!

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed you're a medic. Nice, congrats on the offer =)
    Thank you!!

Are you a future medic too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    So health isn't important ?
    Health isn't important to everyone, quite hard to believe i know but if people were as health conscious as your nazi regime dictates they should be then no one would drink alcohol, buy cigarettes, take drugs, buy crap food etc etc.. meaning less fun/less music/less art/less comedy/less consumption etc which is bad for a society no?

(Original post by Mazty)
    So taking some of the unnecessary financial burden off the NHS isn't important?
    Obese people, yes, they are a burden and im sure you could count the pennies it costs to keep them alive, but then what about old people! If we are moaning about financial cost to the NHS why dont we turn off some life support machines, iron lungs, stop making the hundreds of thousands of pills and tablets, get nurses off night shifts down the OAP home and onto wards where they are needed, free up some doctors who get hassled every day with minute problems, the surgeons who perform life saving operations on people who have already lived, free up some beds!

On the other hand, some people find fat people, or bbw's as they are called, attractive, I can also name a fee athletes who smoke and some 'fat' people are actually quite healthy so your going to need a bit more evidence to cover up your fat phobia. This also depends on what you consider 'fat' to be, either 1 pound overweight, a little bit curvy, unable to get out of bed or whatever.

(Original post by Mazty)
    Come back when you have some kind of mature argument.
    I think you missed the facetiousness of my original post so ill summarise; Your argument is stupid and your boring.

ReputationRep:
    I could have guessed who would be the OP here. Someone has a severe hang up about obesity.

Yes, we shouldn't showcase overweight people on TV as normal. The same should apply for people who are too thin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I could have guessed who would be the OP here. Someone has a severe hang up about obesity.

Yes, we shouldn't showcase overweight people on TV as normal. The same should apply for people who are too thin.
    Obesity is a growing health problem. If you want to say that me mentioning one of the most problematic health issues society currently faces counts as a "hang up", than so be it...
    Being too thin is a digression and not the topic of the thread...
    What the hell happened to your old TSR account? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    Health isn't important to everyone, quite hard to believe i know but if people were as health conscious as your nazi regime dictates they should be then no one would drink alcohol, buy cigarettes, take drugs, buy crap food etc etc.. meaning less fun/less music/less art/less comedy/less consumption etc which is bad for a society no?

Obese people, yes, they are a burden and im sure you could count the pennies it costs to keep them alive, but then what about old people! If we are moaning about financial cost to the NHS why dont we turn off some life support machines, iron lungs, stop making the hundreds of thousands of pills and tablets, get nurses off night shifts down the OAP home and onto wards where they are needed, free up some doctors who get hassled every day with minute problems, the surgeons who perform life saving operations on people who have already lived, free up some beds!

On the other hand, some people find fat people, or bbw's as they are called, attractive, I can also name a fee athletes who smoke and some 'fat' people are actually quite healthy so your going to need a bit more evidence to cover up your fat phobia. This also depends on what you consider 'fat' to be, either 1 pound overweight, a little bit curvy, unable to get out of bed or whatever.

I think you missed the facetiousness of my original post so ill summarise; Your argument is stupid and your boring.
    You compare removing fat people from TV to improve the health of the nation as being the same as a dictatorship that killed 10's of millions? Credible argument there son.
    Health is important to the sane. Only the insane do not value their health. Seriously. A telling sign of autism is not caring about one's health. If you can give me a logical reason why a sane person would not want to be healthy, doctors may have to rethink that one.
    Old age is not self inflicted ergo your argument is invalid as obesity costs are avoidable. Old age is not.
    Fat people are healthy? No, they are fat. Being fat is unhealthy. :rolleyes:
    Find me an attractive person who finds fat people attractive. Either way, it still isn't healthy and you should have figured the idea is to help make the country a healthier place, not cater for a small minority's fetish.

Your argument is juvenile and shallow. Come back when it has some thought and substance behind it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Obesity is a growing health problem. If you want to say that me mentioning one of the most problematic health issues society currently faces counts as a "hang up", than so be it...
    Being too thin is a digression and not the topic of the thread...
    What the hell happened to your old TSR account? :confused:
    I had it changed because my other one was my real name, which wasn't the most intelligent decision I've ever taken.

It's good that you're aware of it, but you do go to quite a lot of efforts to prove yourself right.

And I wouldn't say it's that much of a digression. For once I agree with you that obesity should not be 'advertised', as it were, on TV - that's not to say we should ignore the fact that it exists. However, I'd like to offer the alternative perspective that we should consider 'banning' the other extreme from the media as well, because both have the potential to affect people's mental health etc.

ReputationRep:
    it's funny how people think anyone can lose weight. I know people who practically devote themselves to diet and exercise, but are still classed as 'overweight'. But people still see them and assume they are fat because they are lazy and eat too much.

Losing weight can be very hard. Impossible in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    You compare removing fat people from TV to improve the health of the nation as being the same as a dictatorship that killed 10's of millions? Credible argument there son.
    Health is important to the sane. Only the insane do not value their health. Seriously. A telling sign of autism is not caring about one's health. If you can give me a logical reason why a sane person would not want to be healthy, doctors may have to rethink that one.
    Old age is not self inflicted ergo your argument is invalid as obesity costs are avoidable. Old age is not.
    Fat people are healthy? No, they are fat. Being fat is unhealthy. :rolleyes:
    Find me an attractive person who finds fat people attractive. Either way, it still isn't healthy and you should have figured the idea is to help make the country a healthier place, not cater for a small minority's fetish.

Your argument is juvenile and shallow. Come back when it has some thought and substance behind it.
    I agree that the average person should care about their health, but calling an autistic person 'insane' is a little OTT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)
    Thank you!!

Are you a future medic too?
    I'm a medic

ReputationRep:
    I had it changed because my other one was my real name, which wasn't the most intelligent decision I've ever taken.

It's good that you're aware of it, but you do go to quite a lot of efforts to prove yourself right.

And I wouldn't say it's that much of a digression. For once I agree with you that obesity should not be 'advertised', as it were, on TV - that's not to say we should ignore the fact that it exists. However, I'd like to offer the alternative perspective that we should consider 'banning' the other extreme from the media as well, because both have the potential to affect people's mental health etc.
    Fair enough, internet stalkers around every corner
    I'm just curious to be honest to public perception. If I had made this post 18 months ago, I'm pretty certain the pos/neg rep ratio would look very different.
    Yeah the thin should be off TV, but so should alcoholics, excessive drinking etc etc. For example as much as I enjoy Cougar Town, they make drinking wine every given moment seem normal - it's pretty much an advertisement for alcoholism TV should be regulated far more carefully considering the audience it reaches imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Fair enough, internet stalkers around every corner
    I'm just curious to be honest to public perception. If I had made this post 18 months ago, I'm pretty certain the pos/neg rep ratio would look very different.
    Yeah the thin should be off TV, but so should alcoholics, excessive drinking etc etc. For example as much as I enjoy Cougar Town, they make drinking wine every given moment seem normal - it's pretty much an advertisement for alcoholism TV should be regulated far more carefully considering the audience it reaches imo.
    Indeedy. Can't be too careful!

The trouble is, if the media started doing that, I think we'd end up banning everyone but you off TV... :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheesecakefactory)
    it's funny how people think anyone can lose weight. I know people who practically devote themselves to diet and exercise, but are still classed as 'overweight'. But people still see them and assume they are fat because they are lazy and eat too much.

Losing weight can be very hard. Impossible in some cases.
    I'm still waiting to meet the fat person who eat well and exercises enough.............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    I'm still waiting to meet the fat person who eat well and exercises enough.............
    What's your definition of fat?

I'm 150lbs, eat plenty of fruit and veg and train 2/3/4 times per week.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a medic
    Just done a little stalking research, I see you're at St Andrews, awesome :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    What's your definition of fat?

I'm 150lbs, eat plenty of fruit and veg and train 2/3/4 times per week.
    Well fat is hard to judge by figures alone due to muscle mass, build, height etc. so the below should help clarify my opinion.

Spoiler:
    Show

It is all about eating the right food and doing the correct exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Well fat is hard to judge by figures alone due to muscle mass, build, height etc. so the below should help clarify my opinion.

Spoiler:
    Show

It is all about eating the right food and doing the correct exercise.
    I never want to see that diagram again. >_>

So which number would you consider 'fat'?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.