Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

St Andrews Vs. Warwick V100??? watch

• View Poll Results: History degree...Warwick or St Andrews?
    St Andrews
    43.75%
    Warwick
    56.25%

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I am finding it difficult to chose between st andrews and warwick; as i want to go to both uni's!! after drawing up endless pro's and con's lists i am still at square one!

I have visited both uni's and much prefered st andrews asthetically, liked the location (however it doesnt seem wise to choose based on that alone) and idea of being able to initially study three subjects, however i know that warwick has the better repuation and also seems to have a more diverse student population.

which uni do you think is better for history?
    and which uni would give me better graduate prospects?

any help would be much appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    When I was applying, it was required that you take some sort of language module for V100 at Warwick, which was precisely the reason why I didn't apply there. I'm doing History a part of my joint-honours at St Andrews now, and, although I can't say anything about the standards elsewhere, it is certainly one of the best courses in the UK. Warwick doesn't necessarily have a better reputation, and from what I've heard (though don't take my word for it), it can get pretty dull living there. St Andrews (and the towns/cities around it), on the other hand, never gets dull: although it obviously depends on the sort of person you are. It also has an incredibly diverse student population as well. I know a range of people, from very diverse backgrounds, including Russia, the U.S., Canada, Norway, Finland, Holland, France, Belgium, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina, Australia, India, China, Thailand, and many others. I think over a third of all students at St Andrews are internationals.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Warwick's "languages for historians" module. I actually dont mind the idea of that, as I was planning to continue with German anyway. Hmm yes, I did prefer St. Andrews atmosphere to Warwick's, but then that might have been because I visited the latter in the pouring rain!
    From that it sounds like St. Andrews has quite a mix of people, which I didn't expect for it's small size!!

Thanks Suetonius

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently in my first year at Warwick studying History.

Personally, I am loving it! I'd really recommend it - the flexibility of the course is so varied and wide, in terms of time periods and of global options too.

I was drawn to Warwick when I was applying because of the incredible reputation that the University of Warwick has (surpassing Oxbridge in many courses!) and also because at Warwick, the History degree includes a compulsory language module in 1st and 2nd years. This is only translation and comprehension (i.e. no speaking, which was a relief for me!) and you can choose from French/German/Spanish/Italian and enter at whichever level you left off.

For example, I did GCSE French and got A* but didn't do any language at A level so when I came to Warwick I was placed in the 'French for Historians Intermediate' class with other History students who were at the same level of French as me.

I know that for many people, the idea of having to studying a language in the History degree would put them off Warwick but honestly, THINK AGAIN!!
    Having language as part of your degree looks extremely good on a CV and very impressive to employers. Plus, it's only one small module for 2 years and after having some doubts at first, I'm honestly finding it absolutely fine. Everyone is the same level and the language tutors are great.

The Warwick History degree in 1st year consists of one compulsory module (Making of the Modern World), 2 option modules (a huge list of available modules to choose from!) and 1 compulsory language module.

The admittance grades when I applied were AAB but now I'm here, it seems 99% of people got at least AAA in their A levels. The reputation and popularity of the course attracts stiff competition but it's well worth considering Warwick!!

Loving it here

ReputationRep:
    im expecting to get A* in economics, A* in history and a B in maths. should i apply to St.Andrews or Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    Please Help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.